Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 16, 2016, 1:39 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1851

It seemed low quality to me too. Probably a BHS camera, not principle. Or it was just rushed out without any post correction if it really was the first shot of production today.

Personally I think this is all a ruse. There was news months back of Hail and a pick up crew doing something at that location. Some sources said it was for TFA, some said it was for E8. I think this was shot then.
    From
    somewhere in Luxembourg
    Feb 16, 2016, 1:51 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1852

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    So episode IX is gonna begin with them staring at each other in ten minutes of silence as well, eh?
    Hey if drawn-out silence is good enough for "Once upon a time in the West" it's good enough for Star Wars. :-D

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    Falkirk, Scotland
    Feb 16, 2016, 2:47 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1853

SethS said: View Post
    It seemed low quality to me too. Probably a BHS camera, not principle. Or it was just rushed out without any post correction if it really was the first shot of production today.

Personally I think this is all a ruse. There was news months back of Hail and a pick up crew doing something at that location. Some sources said it was for TFA, some said it was for E8. I think this was shot then.
    Yeah...this was most certainly *not* shot yesterday.
  4. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Feb 16, 2016, 3:34 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1854

So, did Mark Hamill grew back his contractually obligated beard in such a short time span?

Roy
    www.wannawanga.com
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Feb 16, 2016, 6:00 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1855

I'm sure this was shot at the same time as the final shot of TFA.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Feb 16, 2016, 7:32 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1856

cayman shen said: View Post
    I'm sure this was shot at the same time as the final shot of TFA.
    No, I'm pretty sure this happened post 7 filming. There were rumors they went back out to film there a few months before TFA came out. Some thought it was TFA reshoots but I think it was likely this.
    Feb 22, 2016, 1:51 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1857

Which direction do the thin lines go on the edge connector... Toward the clamp lever or away from it ? Pics? Thanks in advance
  8. RPF Premium Member AgentOfShield's Avatar
    From
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Feb 22, 2016, 2:07 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1858

Thin on the left I believe
  9. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Feb 22, 2016, 2:31 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1859

From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 22, 2016, 4:42 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1860

According to this previoulsy posted promo picture
    the thin lines were away from the clamp lever

Chaim
    From
    California
    Feb 22, 2016, 5:30 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1861

I wouldn't orient the clamp cover based on some random promo picture. Thin lines towards the clamp lever is the correct way.

Wired Photoshoot:

Launch Bay:

12. RPF Premium Member AgentOfShield's Avatar
    From
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Feb 22, 2016, 5:58 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1862

Those would be considered random promos as well, from what I and many others have seen from the actual film the thin lines point away from the lever.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 22, 2016, 6:03 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1863

If people are building Skywalker Ranch sabers, any of these can be legit.

There's no such thing as 100% screen accurate when the props themselves change from scene to scene due to differences between heroes, stunts, and back ups.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 22, 2016, 6:17 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1864

Well ... I consider a picture taken of the prop in the leather jacket used on screen a lot more accurate than any picture taken of a loose prop for promo in some magazine or Disney exhibition ... remember the so-called Ranch saber ... Luke's ESB lightsaber residing at the Archive near Skywalker Ranch ... that had the different wider textured mylar tape on the clamp which was never seen on screen?

Chaim
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 22, 2016, 6:29 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1865

For sure-- I think there's a law of averages in play-- which details are the most common can probably be agreed upon to say what's most accurate.
    If you look, the clamp card in the launch bay photo is off-center. Meaning it's very likely it wasn't in place for shipping and whomever arranged the display just stuck it in there however.

Exactly like the person who set up the Skywalker ranch display said "oh hey, we should cover this logo with something" and caused decades of debate. That said-- people do build ranch sabers as it is an anomaly, so in and of itself also rare. Like a misprinted baseball card being worth as much as a legit one.

My bigger point was-- each of them has a certain level of legitimacy. Once the Blue Ray hits and people can see film stills at high res a lot of things will be decided upon for sure-- I just think that the quest for 100% accuracy is something that can truly ever be attained due to the nature of film production.
    Feb 22, 2016, 11:43 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1866

roygilsing said: View Post
    Thank you Roy for the awesome service and ESB kit! it arrived yesterday and im putting it on today!
    Feb 23, 2016, 5:27 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1867

Bryancd said: View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure this happened post 7 filming. There were rumors they went back out to film there a few months before TFA came out. Some thought it was TFA reshoots but I think it was likely this.
    They went back to Skellig last September to film it, I just read this somewhere this last week. Maybe for continuity as far as weather conditions go?

As a side note, I just read the Cinefex article on TFA. It sort of implies that they made the clamps:

We managed to buy every three-cell Graflex flash handle we could find on eBay. We fabricated rubber fins for the handle, added a little clamp that held the two halves together, and in that clamp we added brass contacts.

We all know Graflexes come with the clamp. Just that he mentions the clamp makes it sound like they made new ones, as he mentions the two other things they did make for it, grips & circuit board. It may not be the case, but in that context you could read it like that. They do scanning & CNC machining its just as simple to make a whole new clamp. And I have to admit that I have not read every post on this thread, so it may well be an established fact already that they made new ones!

Anyway, I am looking forward to Roy's clamp cover here!
    Last edited by mvmagic; Feb 23, 2016 at 5:34 AM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2016, 7:17 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1868

In all 7 complete G R A F L E X flashguns were purchased by Foodles . . . 1 directly from ebay . . . after which that seller was contacted and 6 more were found and sold for production . . . so there was absolutely no need to recreate the clamps . . . clearly whoever was interviewed for Cinefex did not have all the facts. Here's 4 out of 7 G R A F L E X flashguns :

Now as far as those 'rubber fins' for grips that's interesting ... if it's accurate and true

Chaim
    Feb 23, 2016, 7:37 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1869

Yeah there was no need, unless someone (JJ?) wanted no text on the clamps and they just made new ones...we'll see in the future maybe! James Enright was the guy who said that on the Cinefex interview. Whats more interesting, they also made cloth versions as the grips are hard on actors' hands. Saber was made from memory foam and covered in cloth:

We tried molding some in rubber, but they kept coming apart. Then our genius Lewis Longworth built fabric ones-stitched in fabric around memory foam. All the lumpy bits collapsed when the actors' gripped them, and sprung back when they let go.
    Last edited by mvmagic; Feb 23, 2016 at 8:35 AM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2016, 8:01 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1870

Indeed ... something is covering the G R A F L E X text ... that's clear as day :

I hope there's a 'Making of ... TFA' documentary made and available soon

That said for me I have no intention of recreating a TFA Finn saber ... it will
    always be Luke's ESB

Chaim
    Feb 23, 2016, 8:35 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1871

It'll be interesting to see how close the Launch Bay sabers are to the screen-used ones. At least the grips do not match. The fin is rounded on the notched part on the Launch Bay version, also not as high. Thats compared against the promo shot with leather jacket you posted as well as the wired photo shoot where its a straight cut.

That said, its not at all my intention to stubbornly argue its a new clamp! Just an observation on what the guy said about the Graflexes.
  22. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    Feb 27, 2016, 11:50 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1872

So I picked up the new issue of Cinefex magazine today. In the article on TFA there was this shot from the saber battle:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cinefex145 _01.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	597497

Notice anything odd about the saber? Yep... what's up with all of those grooves?! That thing is *not* a Graflex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cinefex145_02.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	597498
  23. RPF Premium Member AgentOfShield's Avatar
    From
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Feb 27, 2016, 11:50 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1873

Wowowow
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 28, 2016, 12:02 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1874

THE PLOT THICKENS.

This is probably their stunt/dueling saber. A body that you can actually handle without tearing up your hand, something set for the rod and LEDs, with the top using a Gralfex syncro/mini for visual continuity.
  25. RPF Premium Member AgentOfShield's Avatar
    From
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Feb 28, 2016, 2:24 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #1875

They must've fixed it in post because I remember seeing the clamp in the film at this point