TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Good to know. I believe the ESB one is a bit thicker in diameter, so that one may not work.

Also worth noting, the Hasbro ANH FX Luke is nearly identical to the MR one, so the newly released black series version should be the same as well and have the same clamp since its a reuse of Hasbro's earlier sabers from 2007ish.

From Sohryu76 on fx-sabers:
DSCN0577.jpg

Last edited:

Question- dont know ifnits been discussed, may have missed it in the 50+ pages-

Whats the consensus on the screw that holds the clamp on to the body of the saber. The one that goes in that long slot.
Is it there on the film saber or not.

Also, another poster made a TFA saber here and said they used tape to cover the graflex logo and they made the lines with their fingernails. That finish looks great, what kind of tape is that?

I used a foil duct tape that was the exact width of the clamp. It's not correct and I only intend on keeping it until something better comes along. The finish is lighter than the Graflex finish, when it should be darker, and it's too thin. This allowed me to push in the lines with my fingernail, but it also has the downside of easily denting/scratching and the Graflex logo is starting to show through.

tape.jpg

I like the idea of using an MR FX clamp, good find! The finish looks good, and it's probably more secure than what was used on the actual props. Though, from the display photos, it's clear that's not what they used, because the metal appeared to be straightening itself as it was detaching.

That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Good to know. I believe the ESB one is a bit thicker in diameter, so that one may not work.

Also worth noting, the Hasbro ANH FX Luke is nearly identical to the MR one, so the newly released black series version should be the same as well and have the same clamp since its a reuse of Hasbro's earlier sabers from 2007ish.

True. To test I installed the HASBRO clamp over a real clamp today and indeed it fits perfectly. You can even fix the rectangular bars on top of it without cutting or damaging anything!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451409137.709600.jpg

Last edited:

Man, and to think i was just throwing out a wild, left-field idea because it was sitting there on my TV stand staring me in the face, lol. Was it easy to remove? I assume just unscrew that one screw on the fake side bars and the rest of the clamp/activation switch comes apart?

Man, and to think i was just throwing out a wild, left-field idea because it was sitting there on my TV stand staring me in the face, lol. Was it easy to remove? I assume just unscrew that one screw on the fake side bars and the rest of the clamp/activation switch comes apart?

The fake side bars come apart when unscrewing that one screw, but the clamp is then still fixed with two smaller bolts/nuts with the switch. But that's it and the switch stays in place after unscrewing those. And putting it all back is just as easy.

A few pages back Dr Tayln suggested the clamp wrap might be from the FX saber. I think he is right. I dissembled an FX Luke ANH saber I have, removed the clamp and it wrapped around the original with no issues.

That looks like a great option! It's not what was used on the Launch Bay sabers though, given how the overlay on one of those was lifting/peeling:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237477&page=46&p=3835551&viewfull=1#post3835551

But as we've learned the stuff in those displays is not guaranteed to be authentic :)

Super easy, I can see why they use this if they indeed did. And as for the launch bay sabers wrap coming off of the clamp, if you cut the end tabs off of this clamp and didn't have it behind the clamp bars, and just glued it down or something, I could see it coming apart like that. It's naturally curved much wider than it ends up being once you clamp it down, so it wants to open up more.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

I think in the Entertainment section in one of the TFA threads someone posted a link to an article where one of the prop guys from TFA said that they used modified commercially available lightsabers for parts of the duels and to get the blue glow on the actor's face. Those sabers were most likely MR FX sabers. I'm sure there is some legal reason to cover up the Graflex logo on the clamp so to solve that problem use the clamp from the MR saber.

Let's not be too hasty. Has this been proven to be on the movie saber and not just the ones that Disney had on display? If so, was it in all shots or only some?

Oh and on the pic below, is it possible that this is a small latching slide switch (for applying power to the internal electronics for lighting up the blade and whatnot) instead of a black screw?

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/18870129105_3080e8a895_b.jpg

Pretty sure the black spot/screw/etc is just rust or a blemish on the clamp. It's even still visible on the Ranch saber. My posts in the graflex facts and sithcrets of the ranch saber threads have pics and descriptions outlining all of this

Here's the clamp used in TFA from the Maz's treasure chest:
View attachment 571180

And here from the visual dictionary:
View attachment 571181

It all looks exactly the same!

Roy

They also look just like my Park Sabers v1 replica Graflex clamp (though maybe with deeper lines) and just like the clamps in those two pics appear to be, my clamp is not a darker color than normal and is not a wrap over another clamp. As such, I'm currently not convinced the Disney display ones are TFA screen accurate in regards to the clamp.

Granted the visual dictionary pic looks slightly darker than normal but still not enough to convince me that it is a Force FX clamp over a real/replica clamp. Might have to wait for the blu-ray to come out to really be sure... if even then, lol.

Last edited:

Let's not be too hasty. Has this been proven to be on the movie saber and not just the ones that Disney had on display? If so, was it in all shots or only some?

I don't think that on the Disney display they used a MR FX Clamp, reason is the lines are more rough on the Disney piece since they do not have any shine, could have been done with a dremel, the ones on the bottom are more thin than the top ones, and if it was a FX Clamp it wouldn't pop-up like it did from the glue not holding, because it would have the small bend that goes beneath the side bars to keep it in place, I don't think they would bother cutting it being so easily put in place.

I'm currently not convinced the Disney display ones are TFA screen accurate in regards to the clamp.

Agree, and not just the clamp.

Checked out Orlando Launch Bay today.

Real Graflex, obviously.

Kobold looks like it is indeed from the MR ESB.

Outer clamp is most definitely a MR clamp. No way is it tape or any foil material.

Pics when I get a chance or when I throw them on imgur when I get back to NY..although the way the case is set up and positioned, the pics that have already been posted here are practically the same.

I was thinking about the gap that would be present between the bars when using the FX clamp because of the extra tabs that go behind the bars would add thickness there. I checked out the Wired photos and I am not seeing the gap that is present in Boba Flint's photo when using the wrap.

Could mean they cut those tabs off, could mean they used something else. In this same Wired photo you can clearly see where the extra thickness stops, but that's also where it stops on the FX clamp.

Roy, do you have this gap behind the bars when using the fx clamp?

sw_prop_33a-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

sorry for the ignorant question but I have been trying to keep up to date but working 13 hours a day I'm slipping through the cracks

what wired video is everyone referring to? I haven't seen it yet and real curious now seeing how many people have talked about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also look just like my Park Sabers v1 replica Graflex clamp (though maybe with deeper lines) and just like the clamps in those two pics appear to be, my clamp is not a darker color than normal and is not a wrap over another clamp. As such, I'm currently not convinced the Disney display ones are TFA screen accurate in regards to the clamp.

Granted the visual dictionary pic looks slightly darker than normal but still not enough to convince me that it is a Force FX clamp over a real/replica clamp. Might have to wait for the blu-ray to come out to really be sure... if even then, lol.

I'm really hoping there's a special feature on the lightsabers. You'd think there would be with all the importance they have in TFA. Hopefully it won't just be fluff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back