TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Metal tape scratches and dents too easily. I'm going to say this is likely a machined veneer that goes over the clamp, if not a replica clamp. You heard it here first!
That sounds very likely - good thinking :)

Metal tape scratches and dents too easily. I'm going to say this is likely a machined veneer that goes over the clamp, if not a replica clamp. You heard it here first!

Possible, but there's some pretty good mylar/plastic metalized tape out there which is also rather scratch/dent resistant. I'd lean more towards a replica clamp.

Could it just be a Romans clamp without the name stamp?

I haven't seen a Romans clamp without GRAFLEX, it's definetely not an unstamped Parks since I have one and the lines are almost like a scratch deep, barely visible, not as nice as a Vintage Clamp.

Yeah Roman made unstamped clamps at one point.

Have this one in my stash:

IMG_20151117_215731_zpsbkearp2q.jpg

Just put it on one unmodified Graflex - shine looks good, is matching to the body.

No idea, got it in a long forgotten trade. It came without bars and lever, just like on the pic. So not even having them for help at finding it out.

Look, feel, weight seems all to be exactly like a Graflex clamp - just without the text.

I have a couple of vintage clamps that have the name stamped so lightly, it's barely visible... no idea if it's because they're old, or just worn, but the lines are definitely stamped more clearly than the text.

graflexstamp.jpg

It's more likely this is just a display piece for Disneyland, with no screen lineage

Hopefully the Visual Dictionary book that comes out on opening day has decent reference photos

I took some higher quality photos of the saber on display at the Star Wars Launch Bay in Disneyland.

Larger photos are in the full album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55309064@N06/albums/72157660647564299

1. It looked like a real Graflex,
2. The clamp definitely did not look like tape, but appeared to be a metal replica. The plating was noticeably different from the rest of the flash.
3. Grips were not riveted, but were attached with small, flat headed hex screws.
4. he thin silver bars on the circuit board were right aligned.

WEB-20151118 2015-11-18 Star Wars Disneyland-1010641.jpg WEB-20151118 2015-11-18 Star Wars Disneyland-1010607.jpg

Attachments

• WEB-20151118 2015-11-18 Star Wars Disneyland-1010659.jpg
    WEB-20151118 2015-11-18 Star Wars Disneyland-1010659.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 217

Thanks for those great pictures @killrmonkey!
At last we have a clear view of the Kobold clip and the D-ring.
And that circuit board is definitely not coming from me.
I hope that Romans clamp will look as good as this one! :) Lichtbringer you are lucky to have the perfect clamp just lying around!!

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:

Great pics - thanks.
It looks like an original clamp and original lever to me with a veneer of some sort on it. Look how the lever section of the clamp is a different metal tone to the main section.
Also the clamp appears thicker than normal.

Really? I don't think I see anything I could call a layer...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back