Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Nov 21, 2015, 6:03 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1026

I tend to agree with the wrap theory, like Roman explains.

I do have a hard time when people write that they KNOW something for sure! It's all just speculation based on images and experience. We better respect each ones opinion and be open to their insights. We get a better chance of getting closer to the truth that way than pursueding others by saying that they KNOW for sure like a religious fanatic.
    From
    UK / Japan
    Nov 21, 2015, 7:18 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1027

It looks like it might be covered with a thin sheet of metal, the lines are probably cnc'd out with a tiny router bit. I'm sure bending the new facing to fit the clamp would be a simple procedure. You can see the lip very clearly in the little square punch-outs in this pic

It could be a gap filler underneath, but I'm seeing a clear colour tint difference on the surface of this particular saber.
  3. Not a finga!!! RPF Premium Member Romans Empire's Avatar
    From
    TEXAS
    Nov 21, 2015, 8:36 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1028

Dr Talyn said: View Post
    thanks, that better describes what I was trying to point out
    You're right! I see you posted my idea first!!!

Lichtbringer said: View Post
    Not really.
    Light and sightline can easy cause different shines due to the different angle the surfaces have.

I know some here are biting on their believes like little dogs fearing to loose their toy - but at this moment each opinion is as useless as any other.
    I understand the angle thing, but with the clamp reflecting at 360 degrees... somewhere that clamp should have the same coloring as the clip, but it doesn't. The easiest explanation would be a covering.

I don't believe most people / anyone are worried about their toys / logos. I think at this point everyone wants to know if it's a vintage clamp wrapped with some sort of covering. No logo clamps are readily available and solve this "problem" easily. But I honestly don't think that's what's going on here. I just think we are ultra-anal about details and want to replicate as exact as possible.
    From
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2015, 8:53 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1029

Well, i donīt intend to waste a Graflex on this saber , so my interest is only theoretical - but nonetheless....

The clamp i have has a equal shine over it, Not partial differing due to itīs curvature, itīs just completely changing. From one direction it looks Graflex, from another darker ...... but always completely. Darker and brighter places due to shadows, just as the Graflex above and under it, but the difference to the Graflex is always the same.

Regarding "as possible" ....... a to wide clamp would be no shortcut, it would have been made completly new, as no old one of any kind could be used. Sure, glueing some tape would be cheaper to replicate.
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Nov 21, 2015, 9:14 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1030

I thought that clamp looked a lot like an MR Ee Luke clamp. Look at this page. See the Ee edit ion has that more golden hue to it. Also the lines looks similar

http://registry.rebelscum.com/index....kin_comparison
  6. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Nov 21, 2015, 10:41 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1031

roygilsing said: View Post
    I tend to agree with the wrap theory, like Roman explains.

I do have a hard time when people write that they KNOW something for sure! It's all just speculation based on images and experience. We better respect each ones opinion and be open to their insights. We get a better chance of getting closer to the truth that way than pursueding others by saying that they KNOW for sure like a religious fanatic.

I KNOW FOR SURE you are right.

Me personally,..I'm always right,...sometimes. Okay that's a Will Smith line but I love it.

BTW I am sooo close to finally getting your ANH saber kit to finish my Vintage Graflex. Sooo excited.

Tom
  7. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Nov 21, 2015, 1:00 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1032

Between the varying shades in the finish of the clamp, and the fact that you can actually see layers, I think I was right with the veneer idea.
  8. RPF Premium Member Bluebox303's Avatar
    From
    USA, California
    Nov 21, 2015, 1:23 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1033

I can't seem to see the bend from the clamp tabs. Were those filed off?
    Nov 21, 2015, 1:27 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1034

Bluebox303 said: View Post
    I don't see them either, but I don't think they were removed because you would have to use screws going through the holes of the clamp to have the top and bottom fixed. or having the clamp very tight, but doesn't seem convenient.
  10. Not a finga!!! RPF Premium Member Romans Empire's Avatar
    From
    TEXAS
    Nov 21, 2015, 1:49 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1035

Bluebox303 said: View Post
    I think we can't see them, because the bends are covered by a wrap that had squares cut out of it.
  11. RPF Premium Member Bluebox303's Avatar
    From
    USA, California
    Nov 21, 2015, 2:22 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1036

If the bends were covered by a wrap, we would be able to part of the tabs and a small gap where the bend would be and where the wrap was. However, the clamp has no indication of any sort of bend or gap. It also doesn't have any tabs, which us why I think it may be a repro, possibly from an MR. As for the different finishes, many repro clamps have had some strange finishes on them. I believe that there was a JY thread not too long ago selling a clamp that had some inconsistent finishes. There are many possibilities as to the different finishes between the cylindrical surface and the bubble/card holders.

EDIT: Looks like the JY thread I referred to was deleted. I can post a picture of what I am referring to soon.
    Nov 21, 2015, 5:14 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1037

What hex screw diameter do you guys think was used on the Disney exhibit prop? Somehow I feel 8mm is too wide
  13. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Nov 21, 2015, 5:42 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1038

adiemilio said: View Post
    What hex screw diameter do you guys think was used on the Disney exhibit prop? Somehow I feel 8mm is too wide
    6mm. It's probably a M3 with a 1.5mm hex socket.
    Nov 21, 2015, 6:03 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1039

Lichtbringer said: View Post
    Not really.
    Light and sightline can easy cause different shines due to the different angle the surfaces have.

I know some here are biting on their believes like little dogs fearing to loose their toy - but at this moment each opinion is as useless as any other.
    Anyone notice how the "off color" clamp here looks kinda like an electronic device that comes with that really thin factory plastic covering on a screen or flat surface? Looks like it has those tiny little bubbles.

Btw, full disclosure, my 8 year old microwave STILL has that factory plastic covering over the keypad :o

Edit: hmmm... photo didn't show up here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	557797
    Nov 21, 2015, 6:42 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1040

WhillB said: View Post
    Anyone notice how the "off color" clamp here looks kinda like an electronic device that comes with that really thin factory plastic covering on a screen or flat surface? Looks like it has those tiny little bubbles.

Btw, full disclosure, my 8 year old microwave STILL has that factory plastic covering over the keypad :o

Edit: hmmm... photo didn't show up here...

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	557797
    You mean the clear plastic to protect the surface? Yeah that's why I think it's a tape, it has a different shine you don't get on metal unless it's polished, but on the graflex with the white background you don't get that shine, but on the teaser #2 it does, lighting does play it's part.
  16. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Nov 23, 2015, 9:45 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1041

Looks like I won't be buying those ultra low head hex screws. They only deal with companies listed in section 14 of the German Civil Code or some such crap!!!
  17. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Nov 23, 2015, 1:26 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1042

kurtyboy said: View Post
    Looks like I won't be buying those ultra low head hex screws. They only deal with companies listed in section 14 of the German Civil Code or some such crap!!!
    You know the prop guys do this just to mess with us, right.

"Hey Bob, do you have anymore of those screws that aren't sold anywhere in the world??? I want to put them on this here graflex to make nerds cry"
  18. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Nov 23, 2015, 2:00 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1043

kurtyboy said: View Post
    I have an account with this company, so I can order from them. But they are ridiculously expensive! Almost $2 a piece!!
    I'm looking at an alternative manufacturer.

Roy
  19. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Nov 23, 2015, 3:13 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1044

adiemilio said: View Post
    Yep, even the grips are different with the ones seen in the Fathead poster being very square and symmetrical as for the Disney ones, the middle fin is more broad from below like Gino's and Roy's grips, and the Hex Screw/Rivet dilemma.
    🙃 I love that the Hex Screw/Rivet is a
    Dilemma! Only on the RPF. Lol.
  20. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Nov 23, 2015, 3:48 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1045

I don't have a stint blade, but is the glass eye that holds it in. I was thinking maybe that's why the knurling might be missing from the Wired Graflex. Maybe it list the knurls tightening it down.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Nov 24, 2015, 9:55 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1046

Trying to find a higher res version of the new Empire magazine cover. Might reveal some details

Name:	TFAGraflex.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	558713
    From
    Grapevine, TX
    Nov 24, 2015, 11:25 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1047

That lightsaber effect for the cover is horrendous..but still, a detail worth noting

Views:	262 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	558738
  23. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Nov 24, 2015, 1:52 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1048

mvanwalks421 said: View Post
    That lightsaber effect for the cover is horrendous..but still, a detail worth noting

Views:	262 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	558738

That thing seems to be sticking out every time he is using an FX saber in the film. What the heck is that thing????? Never seen that on any FX saber, custom or otherwise?????

Tom
  24. Formerly known as Vegeta JoMamma_Smurf's Avatar
    From
    St. Pete, FL
    Nov 24, 2015, 2:22 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1049

It's the D-ring, I'm gonna stand behind that. . When these people see him carrying a lightsaber vertically the D-ring hangs. So these designers and editors sometimes use reference pics but don't know what they're looking at so they do their touch up and editing and this is the crappy result we get. Anyway.. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it
  25. Formerly known as Vegeta JoMamma_Smurf's Avatar
    From
    St. Pete, FL
    Nov 24, 2015, 2:32 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1050

double post