Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Austin, TX
    Nov 19, 2015, 1:45 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #951

slothfurnace said: View Post
    From what I can tell, I need to make a new clampcard layout with slightly thinner traces on the right side of the rounded thick traces for a TFA clampcard. Here's a question, what should go on the other side? Anything?

My ROTJ V2 cards have the ESB squared trace layout on the other side. I suppose I could just not put anything on the opposite side of the TFA card...

Assuming those photos are legit, I could have a batch of TFA cards ready within 3 weeks or so.

Do we think they're all gold? or do we see any silver traces on there?
    I'd say do the ESB again. Convenient for those who might want to swap parts around every once in a while
    From
    Madison, WI
    Nov 19, 2015, 1:46 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #952

killrmonkey said: View Post
    Considering this, I wouldnt put anything on the opposite side, you'd see through it.
  3. RPF Premium Member slothfurnace's Avatar
    From
    Austin, TX
    Nov 19, 2015, 2:05 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #953

Dr Talyn said: View Post
    Considering this, I wouldnt put anything on the opposite side, you'd see through it.
    The fiberglass substrate my cards are made with also is slightly translucent such as that photo, and from what I can tell, the thin traces are silvered. Not a big deal, just things to note.

If I do put anything on the back, it will be the rounded ESB with thin trace version, I'll have t o find good shots of that. If, in fact, the ESB rounded layout is identical to the TFA rounded layout, then I'll not put anything on the back, and the same card can be used for both saber builds.
  4. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Nov 19, 2015, 2:07 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #954

From what I can tell, I need to make a new clampcard layout with slightly thinner traces on the right side of the rounded thick traces for a TFA clampcard. Here's a question, what should go on the other side? Anything?

My ROTJ V2 cards have the ESB squared trace layout on the other side. I suppose I could just not put anything on the opposite side of the TFA card...

Assuming those photos are legit, I could have a batch of TFA cards ready within 3 weeks or so.

TFA one side. ESB on the other
  5. RPF Premium Member AgentOfShield's Avatar
    From
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Nov 19, 2015, 3:16 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #955

Lol and here's me who just bought a clamp card from you slothfurnace... Hahah
  6. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Nov 19, 2015, 3:21 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #956

Has anyone ordered a blade socket from the graflex shop recently? I placed an order on their site but haven't gotten a confirmation and they haven't responded to any emails.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Nov 19, 2015, 4:31 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #957

you can put me down for 2 cards!
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Nov 19, 2015, 5:09 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #958

This was just posted on Twitter via the official Star Wars account

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EpVIIIsaber.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	557037

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/667477488021409792
    Nov 19, 2015, 5:17 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #959

It's like some unholy amalgamation of the ANH, ESB, and ROTS sabers.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Nov 19, 2015, 5:19 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #960

Yeah its only concept art, but I thought it was pretty interesting if not necessarily aesthetically pleasing.
    From
    Madison, WI
    Nov 19, 2015, 5:24 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #961

Thank god we didnt get that, imagine the uproar.
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Austin, TX
    Nov 19, 2015, 5:54 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #962

KhalDrogo said: View Post

That's so weird!! The button recessed like a glass eye is fascinating. I kind of like it as a curiosity but I'm glad they did go the Graflex route.
  13. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Nov 19, 2015, 6:07 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #963

KhalDrogo said: View Post

That is from Gallery1988's "Art Awakens" show... I believe it's an oil painting that wasn't well researched, heh.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Nov 19, 2015, 6:09 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #964

The fiberglass substrate my cards are made with also is slightly translucent such as that photo, and from what I can tell, the thin traces are silvered. Not a big deal, just things to note.

If I do put anything on the back, it will be the rounded ESB with thin trace version, I'll have t o find good shots of that. If, in fact, the ESB rounded layout is identical to the TFA rounded layout, then I'll not put anything on the back, and the same card can be used for both saber builds.
    The only card we have from ESB is on the Skywalker Ranch saber. I think it's been matched with ones on Promo shots (with where they cut the board in relation to the traces on the ends) and it has rectangular leads. They can look a little rounded because of the transition to the thin silver fingers but they're most definitely not like the ones in TFA

Name:	LukeESB-04_zps7509d7ae.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	557047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LFA_LukeESBrs.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	459.4 KB 
ID:	557048
  15. RPF Premium Member slothfurnace's Avatar
    From
    Austin, TX
    Nov 19, 2015, 7:39 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #965

thd9791 said: View Post
    The only card we have from ESB is on the Skywalker Ranch saber. I think it's been matched with ones on Promo shots (with where they cut the board in relation to the traces on the ends) and it has rectangular leads. They can look a little rounded because of the transition to the thin silver fingers but they're most definitely not like the ones in TFA

Name:	LukeESB-04_zps7509d7ae.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	557047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LFA_LukeESBrs.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	459.4 KB 
ID:	557048
    Well, I will defer to consensus of experts before I send the layouts to be manufactured, but if you all have been happy with the quality of the cards I have been providing, I'd be happy to provide the TFA card for the community.

Right now, my plans are:

Card A: ROTJ V2 side 1; ESB Square thick trace side 2
    Card B: TFA Rounded thick trace, right side offset thin trace side 1; To Be Determined Side 2
  16. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Nov 19, 2015, 8:51 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #966

So, I'm seeing two different grip profiles on the saber in Wired and the saber at Disney. The Disney saber looks to have Gino/Roy style grips. But the grips on the Wired saber look like those from Blast-Tech or TFX

Anyone else see what I'm seeing?
  17. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Nov 19, 2015, 9:16 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #967

Have visual dictionary photoshoots ever been definitive? I had a bunch growing up, but feel like I always thought things looked off to me. Like they're usually stunt props or castings vs. hero versions. If the Wired photos are from the Visual Dictionary, then it wouldn't surprise me if it had inaccuracies, or was just "close enough." Hopefully when the movie comes out we wont be too distracted staring at the saber, that we miss out on the movie
  18. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Nov 19, 2015, 9:23 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #968

veektohr said: View Post
    Have visual dictionary photoshoots ever been definitive? I had a bunch growing up, but feel like I always thought things looked off to me. Like they're usually stunt props or castings vs. hero versions. If the Wired photos are from the Visual Dictionary, then it wouldn't surprise me if it had inaccuracies, or was just "close enough." Hopefully when the movie comes out we wont be too distracted staring at the saber, that we miss out on the movie
    Based on what I'm seeing, it's the opposite this time. The photos used for the VD actually are of the hero props instead of stunt props and replicas
  19. RPF Premium Member AgentOfShield's Avatar
    From
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Nov 19, 2015, 9:29 PM - That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #969

Hopefully because they know we're the type to kill for some solid references of stuff haha
  20. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Nov 19, 2015, 10:43 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #970

AgentOfShield said: View Post
    Hopefully because they know we're the type to kill for some solid references of stuff haha
    If we had our way the Visual Dictionaries would be more like Encyclopedia Britannica, with a whole volume for each prop
  21. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Nov 19, 2015, 11:10 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #971

I had a thought that the reason why the plating on the Wired saber has a bit more of a gold tone could be because it's off of an Icons saber.

Dan
    Nov 19, 2015, 11:20 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #972

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    So, I'm seeing two different grip profiles on the saber in Wired and the saber at Disney. The Disney saber looks to have Gino/Roy style grips. But the grips on the Wired saber look like those from Blast-Tech or TFX

Anyone else see what I'm seeing?
    Yeah, I commented on it on post #871
    From
    Terrebonne, OR U.S.A.
    Nov 20, 2015, 12:01 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #973

Here's the thing, we have heard several times that several Graflex flash units were bought from a member or members of the RPF for use in TFA. What is not commonly stated is that most likely, these flash units were already converted to look like the Graflex based lightsabers from the movies before being purchased. Even if they were all ESB style, we all know that not every one of them will be decked out exactly the same. My guess? The prop wranglers for TFA just used what was on hand, interchangeably, not caring about the little differences between each build. That said, these Graflex lightsaber props that are at the various Disney Parks and what is being used for the new visual dictionary and what was used in the TFA movie could all be the ones bought from RPF members. Who's to know? Who's to say? That's my theory though and it helps explain why they differ.
  24. RPF Premium Member jchristman's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nov 20, 2015, 12:15 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #974

I think the grip hex screws are close to this:

http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302280540/
  25. RPF Premium Member jchristman's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nov 20, 2015, 12:19 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #975

The exhibit had a TON of replicas on display - there was a whole room of OT studio scale models, none of which were screen-used. There were even some other lightsaber replicas on display. It's very possible that this was created especially for the exhibit.

However, the other TFA props all seemed screen used, so....

Jason