TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Nope, that is the same beer tab that came with the 2.0, as is the blade holder. All I've added are the brass contacts, a screw for the slider tab, Graflex Shop glass eye that I sanded down, and replaced the hex screw above the glass eye with a slotted screw. One of these days I'll figure out a way to do that groove between the two pins, but for now I'm pretty much happy with it. (though have Roy's clear clamp card, kobold, and pommel cover on the way, then I'll be really happy with it, LOL!).

Where did you get the brass contacts from? Haven't been able to see any anywhere and I've had several failed attempts at cutting out my own from thin brass strips. XD

Were the grips rubber, as reported in the CineFx article about the Rey saber, or hard plastic as in ANH and ESB?

The grips were hard plastic or printed plastic - not sure. They were not extruded plastic thats for sure - none of the crispness you'd associate with that. The upright of the T track was parallel (no taper to the top) and met the base of the T track with a tight right angle - no radius like Roy's grips etc. The base of the T track flared in places as if it had, had pressure on it while it was still malleable. Also the length of the T track base was not always straight, some had a misshaped curve.

The lighting in the room is very low, with spots lighting the exhibits so it is very difficult to see things clearly in there. The grips looked like they may have been painted/ powder coated as they seemed to show signs of chipping in places.

Sorry I didn't get to photograph anything else in detail as I had my 5 and 2 year old with me so I couldn't afford for to take my eyes of them for long ;)

Thanks Roy, wouldn't have gotten through this build without all your help! and Sym-Cha too, he helped me a while back when I was first getting started. You guys are fantastic.

Hear hear! I second that. Your information has been invaluable Roy ( and your lightsaber parts arnt hal bad either! LOL!) :D

Thanks guys! That's really heartwarming and gives me a big smile! This research thread with everybody's combined efforts is giving me a lot of pleasure and if I can help others with my skills it's even better.

Cheers!

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

Thanks guys! That's really heartwarming and gives me a big smile! This research thread with everybody's combined efforts is giving me a lot of pleasure and if I can help others with my skills it's even better.

Cheers!

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

Do you have a photo of your elastometer track? Might get it because it says that they used rubber grips here:

From Cinefex, confirming about buying graflexes online for EP7 and other stuffView attachment 600988View attachment 600989

Do you have a photo of your elastometer track? Might get it because it says that they used rubber grips here:

Yes, these are my rubber grips:
1fde5cbc6db8330d68f0604f5e6f665c.jpg

It's almost the same, but slightly less accurate and consistent. It's also bend and harder to apply.
I have no idea what PS/LB grips are.
What I meant by PS/LB grips is prop ship &launch bay. And, also maybe Wired saber too. Remember the B/W saber pic? If you look closely it matches very close to what I have seen on the launch bay and propshop sabers.saber track.jpg

The reason your profile overlayed so good (probably) is because the thickness at the ends, the width, and everything else is the same, minus a glue channel. Like Blastech or TCSS or Parks, just to name a few.

Last edited:
I still don't see a glue cjhannel on the wired or anything else.

I have to agree! It indeed seems to be completely curved on the bottom. A logical shape of course.

Does anyone have a clear reference picture of the coined edge still on one of the variants' glass eye?

No, I believe it's not visible in TFA. On both hero versions, the glass eyes seem to be smooth / brass.

Last edited:
The grips were hard plastic or printed plastic - not sure. They were not extruded plastic thats for sure - none of the crispness you'd associate with that. The upright of the T track was parallel (no taper to the top) and met the base of the T track with a tight right angle - no radius like Roy's grips etc. The base of the T track flared in places as if it had, had pressure on it while it was still malleable. Also the length of the T track base was not always straight, some had a misshaped curve.

The lighting in the room is very low, with spots lighting the exhibits so it is very difficult to see things clearly in there. The grips looked like they may have been painted/ powder coated as they seemed to show signs of chipping in places.

Sorry I didn't get to photograph anything else in detail as I had my 5 and 2 year old with me so I couldn't afford for to take my eyes of them for long ;)

Great! Thanks a million!!! There was one unboxing review online where the guy said the propshop saber had "accurate plastic parts" as his hands brushed against the grips but that wasn't really definitive. This settles it.

I was concerned about that article as well, but so far it's the ONLY source that has mentioned the hero TFA grips being rubber, and since we've now confirmed the Propshop grips are plastic, that leads me to believe the CineFx article may be mistaken. I have tcss rubber grips on mine now, but I'll probably swap them out for some plastic ones soon.

I was concerned about that article as well, but so far it's the ONLY source that has mentioned the hero TFA grips being rubber, and since we've now confirmed the Propshop grips are plastic, that leads me to believe the CineFx article may be mistaken. I have tcss rubber grips on mine now, but I'll probably swap them out for some plastic ones soon.

If so, then have a good time looking in the WTB forums for Parks esb kits. Ditch the screws, and they're dang accurate for a TFA hero.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back