Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 25, 2018, 9:59 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3426

D48thRonin said: View Post
    Did you at least tell them the reflector was on backwards?
    Haha, no. Whoever set that display up was probably not even alive when that was in use and just found it in storage. I'm sure it was quickly pieced together for the display. I should let them know.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 26, 2018, 11:45 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3427

Mark P said: View Post
    Haha, no. Whoever set that display up was probably not even alive when that was in use and just found it in storage. I'm sure it was quickly pieced together for the display. I should let them know.

Offer to "clean and fix" it for them, take it home, swap it out for a 2.0. They'll never know....
  3. RPF Premium Member Pixelpiper's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Jan 26, 2018, 12:54 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3428

SethS said: View Post
    Offer to "clean and fix" it for them, take it home, swap it out for a 2.0. They'll never know....
    Damn, that's savage. At least swap it out for something that can pass for a half-decent Graflex, like Graflex Shop's current replica.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 26, 2018, 4:33 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3429

what the hell happened to this thread lol
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 26, 2018, 6:56 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3430

I made a joke that included a certain lyric NWA is famous for in the context of putting one over on the police and somebody with delicate sensibilities reported me. I apologize for any confusion I caused.
    Jan 27, 2018, 3:09 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3431

I made a joke that included a certain lyric NWA is famous for in the context of putting one over on the police and somebody with delicate sensibilities reported me. I apologize for any confusion I caused.
    That is totally ridiculous - you were obviously joking - what a total a**hole for reporting anything. Really sorry to hear this
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 27, 2018, 10:35 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3432

I broke rules, it’s on me. I was just warned so it’s all good.
    Jan 27, 2018, 2:28 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3433

Ok - fair enough.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 27, 2018, 2:28 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3434

wow... cant take a joke
    From
    Madison, WI
    Feb 8, 2018, 3:19 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3435

Rivets

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 3.17.10 PM.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	500.8 KB 
ID:	794194
  11. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Feb 8, 2018, 3:48 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3436

And a washer too! (beneath the Glass Eye)
  12. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 8, 2018, 4:29 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3437

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    And a washer too! (beneath the Glass Eye)
    I have been studying this new glass eye now for a few weeks

I seriously think the TLJ graflex’s are new custom jobs, and not even vintages

Even the clamp covers look a different color then the TFA graflex

Where we see this “washer” we should be seeing threading on a vintage eye

I would like to hear more from the veterans on this site on what the think of this flash, if it’s a real vintage or not

Even the coating, check out how shiny it is.. you can see a reflection in it

If this was a custom job it would explain the glasseye

This glass eye has really been bothering me lol

I need to know!!!
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Feb 8, 2018, 4:56 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3438

halliwax said: View Post
    Even the clamp covers look a different color then the TFA graflex
    I was thinking the same thing!

It's either: a wierd photographic artifact, a polished brass cover, or maybe they got all fancy and had it plated in Titanium Nitride.

Whether it's a GRAFLEX or a replica is difficult to determine by this screengrab alone.

Where's the video by the way?
  14. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Feb 8, 2018, 5:14 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3439

I'm quite convinced it's a vintage. Maybe they had it replated or coated.

I'm not sure if there's a ring underneath the glass eye. There might be.

The clamp cover color is exactly like my stainless steel replicas. It was already clear from the 2015 Wired picture. To me, it looks like the same color. Maybe it's the fluorescent lighting.

Roy
    From
    Madison, WI
    Feb 8, 2018, 5:32 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3440

The leads on that clamp card really do look like foil though... or something just super bright.

Also, despite what PropShop thought, this saber is perfectly clean, not weathered.
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Feb 8, 2018, 5:42 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3441

O.K. I knew I saw a link for the video the other day, Title had posted it up in The Last Jedi Graflex Research thread...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZAryCaRE3k

Interstingly, in the photos of Madlyn Burket holding the "Rey Light Saber" prop where she's wearing the blue SCARIF sun T-shirt ( http://www.starwars.com/news/here-ar...wars-artifacts ), the clamp cover simply looks stainless.

What I find most interesting in the video is what is written on the prop's blue storage bag...

Rey Light Saber

SO, does that mean there are two "Rey Light Saber"s?

And I sure wish we had a better version of this pic, since in that article... "On telling this lightsaber apart from versions used in the original trilogy: (Madlyn says--->)“This one has a pretty big tell. There’s an opening here for the blade to go in.”" She's pinching the Bulb Holder open, but there's still the Bulb Plunger sitting there... I don't see a hole! Is it a blade plug with a Bulb Plunger in it??? Or does she not fully understand that the "hole" she sees when compressing the Bunny Ears is just the enlarging of the Bulb Holder where she thinks a blade can go? Or are we simply unable to see that there is an actual hole around the Bulb Plunger?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rey-lightsaber-prop-madlyn-close.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	794217

And she also says, “This is a new build. This was for VII and VIII. This was used on both. We saw what happens in VIII, so I’m really happy to have this one now in this condition.”

So, does that mean that this particular prop was used in TFA and TLJ, or that it is a new build (representation of the prop(s) used in TFA/TLJ because she now has one in this condition?...because one of them was destroyed. Or did she mean "new build" as in different from the ANH/ESB GRAFLEXes? Or since she's the Lucasfilm Collections and Exhibitions Archivist does that mean that this "new build" is for the traveling displays? Which brings me back to the blue storage bag and the "x 2" on it, and it's supposed to mean version 2?
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Feb 8, 2018 at 6:06 PM.
    Feb 8, 2018, 6:02 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3442

they look like straight pins to me too!
    Folmer shiney finish, straight pins fun!
  18. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 8, 2018, 6:13 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3443

roygilsing said: View Post
    I'm quite convinced it's a vintage. Maybe they had it replated or coated.

I'm not sure if there's a ring underneath the glass eye. There might be.

The clamp cover color is exactly like my stainless steel replicas. It was already clear from the 2015 Wired picture. To me, it looks like the same color. Maybe it's the fluorescent lighting.

Roy
    Roy is it me or is the bottom tube not a shiny as the top? Check out the color in between the grips and compare them to the top of the flash

What do you think?
  19. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 8, 2018, 6:13 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3444

Btw Roy, u nailed that damn clamp card!! Holy hell is that spot on!!!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 8, 2018, 8:09 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3445

Smooth pins! Folmers in the ST.

i feel like they are vintages, but they definitely buffed them up. They eye depth is still odd. I thought maybe it was a result whatever their custom blade holder is-- but strait pins...
  21. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 8, 2018, 8:10 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3446

if they are early folmers, i know there is a deep glass eye, is there a difference in the threading with the deep glass eye?
  22. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    Feb 8, 2018, 8:14 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3447

Btw Roy, u nailed that damn clamp card!! Holy hell is that spot on!!!
    Maybe it IS one of Roy's cards...

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 8, 2018, 8:19 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3448

if they are early folmers, i know there is a deep glass eye, is there a difference in the threading with the deep glass eye?
    There are so many variations of the eye, that's possible. I call uponthe power of @scottjua for an answer.
  24. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 8, 2018, 8:21 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3449

There are so many variations of the eye, that's possible. I call uponthe power of @scottjua for an answer.
    good call!
  25. RPF Premium Member kalkamel's Avatar
    From
    Malaysia
    Feb 8, 2018, 8:43 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3450

Now that the ESB Wampa Cave and TFA/TLJ versions are confirmed Folmers, their prices are gonna skyrocket even more!