TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I've been following this thread since early this year and have learned so much from all of the great members on here. Thank you all so much for your insight, inspiration, & attention to detail! That being said I wanted to post a few pics from my vintage Graflex TFA build. I chose do the Maz saber. The grips, Kobold clip, clamp & bottom cover are from Roy. The card is Slothfurnace. Still waiting for someone to do a translucent card. I used 3mm rivets on both the grips & Kobold.

View attachment 647900

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks perfect, great job !

I'm still waiting on the translucent cards to pick up a kit.

One other thing I've noticed, that no one seems to talk about, is that the TFA D-ring is clearly bigger than the one from the ESB Graflex. Though I've read on this thread that some people think it's the same. It's clearly a more rounded, bigger ring. As where the ESB version is a bit more flat.

I pulled a screen grab from the Maz saber box reveal and compared that to the snow saber on Hoth. I know it's not the greatest photo, but I think it's really the only time in the film you can reference how the ring lies in relation to the Kobold.
24d2e4872cc2857a1bb9ef65f2793e75.jpg
19ddce90230309d620e1d6f8beb24538.jpg

Notice where the top of the ring lands against the Kobold on the Maz saber. It's quite a bit further past the line on the Kobold clip. I realize these are smaller rivets than in ESB, but it's still a larger, more rounded D-ring to me.

Compared to the ESB snow saber where the top of the ring is just past the line on the Kobold.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very good observation! The line on the Kobold clip is a great way to judge size. I think the ESB clip might have used a stretched-out smaller D ring. The TFA crew probably just found a D ring that wide.

I think the gauges are similar though.
One other thing I've noticed, that no one seems to talk about, is that the TFA D-ring is clearly bigger than the one from the ESB Graflex. Though I've read on this thread that some people think it's the same. It's clearly a more rounded, bigger ring. As where the ESB version is a bit more flat.

I pulled a screen grab from the Maz saber box reveal and compared that to the snow saber on Hoth. I know it's not the greatest photo, but I think it's really the only time in the film you can reference how the ring lies in relation to the Kobold. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160726/24d2e4872cc2857a1bb9ef65f2793e75.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160726/19ddce90230309d620e1d6f8beb24538.jpgNotice where the top of the ring lands against the Kobold on the Maz saber. It's quite a bit further past the line on the Kobold clip. I realize these are smaller rivets than in ESB, but it's still a larger, more rounded D-ring to me.

Compared to the ESB snow saber where the top of the ring is just past the line on the Kobold.

Thoughts?

Yes, I've noticed as well. I already tested this both on my Graflex and in 3D CAD and I have found the correct size. I'm thinking of adding this bigger D-ring to my TFA kit when I also manage to have the convincing translucent clamp cards.

I'm still waiting on the translucent cards to pick up a kit.

The first tests on those cards failed and I still don't know if I'll be successful to reproduce them. I still wonder how they're made (and what we're actually seeing!). My current tests are screen printed on 2mm matted acrylic sheet. When I'm back from my holidays I can evaluate the new test.

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

The d-ring on the pic doesn´t need to lay flat, if they made it with tension in the holes it can stay at any angle. And that angle would distort any calculations based on it. The ROTJ Vader Saber had it´s bottom part from the ESB Luke saber, so please look here at the Vader d-ring (picked from another thread here):

PB100095b.jpg

Grip-Gouge-Comparison.jpg

VaderSaberRear2.jpg

The way it sits on it´s stand, the ring should just hang down if free moving.

In that picture from ESB in the snow (which I've stared at more than I care to admit back while I was working on my 2.0), I don't believe that the D-ring is all the way down touching the kobold. There is a shadow going across a little further up that is about where you can see the D-ring touching in the TFA picture, and I believe that is about where the D-ring would touch.

In that picture from ESB in the snow (which I've stared at more than I care to admit back while I was working on my 2.0), I don't believe that the D-ring is all the way down touching the kobold. There is a shadow going across a little further up that is about where you can see the D-ring touching in the TFA picture, and I believe that is about where the D-ring would touch.

It could lay flat against the Kobold and still produce a shadow since the clip is raised.

Here's a few other good references (of the outdoor hero saber)
The width is easy to determine based on this shot:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160726/69e3c678c5d956c381a5954f02a983c2.jpg

And the round shape can clearly be seen in this shot:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160726/730a08e6bedc2c25f48beaef9521ba1d.png

Thanks for the other references Roy. Glad you're going add it to your kit. Any chance you could offer just the ring itself for those of us who already have your current Kobold?

I feel like the TFA ring is smaller than the ESB one. Most who have either replica or vintage kobold rings will know that the D ring can create two small dents on the kobold mount. These two dents are on the edge of the kobold mount and are parallel to each other. This set of dents caused by the D ring can be seen on the ESB kobold, and its position implies that the ESB ring is larger than the TFA

I feel like the TFA ring is smaller than the ESB one. Most who have either replica or vintage kobold rings will know that the D ring can create two small dents on the kobold mount. These two dents are on the edge of the kobold mount and are parallel to each other. This set of dents caused by the D ring can be seen on the ESB kobold, and its position implies that the ESB ring is larger than the TFA

I could agree that it's wider from side to side. However, I think that causes the ring to appear a bit flatter on the ESB version. I'm just saying the ring looks more rounded on the TFA. Though it could possibly not as wide at the base where it connects to the Kobold.

ETA: mid August. It'll include:
- clamp cover
- bottom cover
- clamp card (hopefully the translucent version)
- Kobold clip
- D-ring
- 6 T-tracks
- rivets for grips and Kobold clip

And new blueprints of the two hero sabers!

Any guideline on pricing? - equally with the grips be pre cut for those of us with a disposition to break things!

Id also love to see you make a bottom plate to fit under the kobalt that is cut with sound vents under the clip so they are invisible to the eye but present to allow sound to escape! - Easier for you to do it at production stage i guess.

Like this ..

tnZY4pDl.jpg

2DUb3OSl.jpg

ETA: mid August. It'll include:
- clamp cover
- bottom cover
- clamp card (hopefully the translucent version)
- Kobold clip
- D-ring
- 6 T-tracks
- rivets for grips and Kobold clip

And new blueprints of the two hero sabers!

Even if you can't manage a translucent card if you could at least do another TFA card with the thin traces going in the correct (per the majority of scenes in the movie) direction I'd be in for one.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back