Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Jan 11, 2017, 12:26 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3201

Ah, I guess I'll be trying the dremel method Kylash used. Thanks for that idea by the way!
  2. RPF Premium Member Pixelpiper's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2017, 1:10 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3202

SethS said: View Post
    Everything seen onscreen is filed. The Maz Box variant could have knurled, it's seen from the reverse side.
    So it's possible that it's also knurled in every scene where we don't see the saber... That's like 99% of the movie.
  3. RPF Premium Member Foe Hammer's Avatar
    Jan 11, 2017, 2:06 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3203

What's the consensus on the brass pins? Does the TFA saber have the early smooth pins or the later stepped version common in replicas?
    Last edited by Foe Hammer; Jan 11, 2017 at 6:47 PM.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 11, 2017, 3:25 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3204

Pixelpiper said: View Post
    So it's possible that it's also knurled in every scene where we don't see the saber... That's like 99% of the movie.
    Schrodinger's Knurling!
  5. RPF Premium Member Pixelpiper's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2017, 6:25 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3205

Schrodinger's Knurling!
    I think the same thing about most of these kinds of discussions. The ones where there's no decent source footage especially.
    From
    Orlando
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:28 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3206

halliwax said: View Post
    I know the max box has been in question before. But I strongly believe the max box and wired saber are the same saber.

So I'm figuring the max box saber has the brass eye as well

Or at least that's what I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, i think the wired saber is indeed the Maz saber.
    I also think theres an fx shot floating around of Maz holding the same saber which also shows the brass eye.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:41 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3207

this one?
    Jan 11, 2017, 9:01 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3208

This saber has the best of all 3 versions IMO. I love the original ANH, but I really like the grips and card on TFA. Not the biggest fan on the 2nd red button, or the missing beer tab on ESB, but this TFA version brings the ANH and ESB together. Part of me has been holding out to see if I can get a real graflex so I can make my romans graflex a TFA. Then I would sell my 2.0
    From
    Orlando
    Jan 11, 2017, 9:21 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3209

Hard to tell if theyre the long or short grips.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 11, 2017, 9:27 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3210

i was going to say.... i think those are long grips
    From
    South Carolina
    Jan 11, 2017, 9:27 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3211

Yep that one is the hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Orlando
    Jan 11, 2017, 9:35 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3212

i was going to say.... i think those are long grips
    Unfortunately its dark on that area and the saber is slightly moving which could give the illusion of being long.
  13. The Original Clone RPF Premium Member Luuke's Avatar
    From
    Milpitas, CA
    Jan 11, 2017, 11:32 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3213

Sorry but this is an incorrect statement. The Vader ROTJ has 7 grips, the Luke ESB has only 6:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19ddce90230309d620e1d6f8beb24538.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	513.0 KB 
ID:	697627

Lichtbringer said: View Post
    The ROTJ Vader Saber had itīs bottom part from the ESB Luke saber, so please look here at the Vader d-ring (picked from another thread here):

http://www.oohyeahzone.com/rpf/PB100095b.jpg
  14. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 11, 2017, 11:48 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3214

It had seven grips, but they were attached to a bottom drilled for 6. You can see the holes in some pictures. A lot of people think it could have been from an ESB saber that was later dressed up as a dueling stunt for ROTJ.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jan 12, 2017, 12:29 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3215

yep! and that snow saber has a few wonky grips that are misshapen, suggesting they may have cast track at the correct length in resin and really did a bad job

and the glass eye being lathed down kind of....i like it. its something unique to the TFA saber that wasn't on the others.
    From
    Norway
    Jan 12, 2017, 5:55 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3216

i think your right, i thought one saber used all tamper proof screws. but graflex bank only has 1 launch bay saber and that saber has the star screws
    Hmm, so the 2 are different for sure? I had not taken this into account

Mind pinging me if it turns out they use different screws so I can update the Graflex Bank?
    From
    Madison, WI
    Jan 12, 2017, 9:32 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3217

They look long to me, they go to the bottom, so I dont think this is the box saber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.31.00 AM.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	457.7 KB 
ID:	697699
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 12, 2017, 9:43 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3218

Disneyland's Launch Bay has more traditional Torx or hex heads, with a darker hole, the Disneyworld Launchybay has shallower star shaped screws of some sort, much like the Visual Dictionary version. I can post pics when I get of bed and get to my computer
    From
    Norway
    Jan 12, 2017, 10:10 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3219

Disneyland's Launch Bay has more traditional Torx or hex heads, with a darker hole, the Disneyworld Launchybay has shallower star shaped screws of some sort, much like the Visual Dictionary version. I can post pics when I get of bed and get to my computer
    Oh boy, I guess now I get to figure out which is which in the gallery and label them accordingly! Looking at them now, there's one sideways, one standing up and one angled... Are there 3 or was one moved at some point?

By the way, I've been meaning to ask - would a thread on the RPF sourcing information for the Graflex Bank be okay? I'm still pretty new on here, and there's lots of information I want to add that I haven't been able to find yet.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 12, 2017, 10:21 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3220

Disneyworld is sideways, Disneyland is standing up.
  21. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    From
    Miami, FL
    Jan 12, 2017, 10:24 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3221

Kylash said: View Post
    Here's my solution for turning a vintage style glass eye to remove the knurling. This is from Roman's new graflex. I pushed it on to one of these new-fangled Dremel drums that expands when you pop it down. It was a tight fit but it worked. Just ran it along a file a few times and then sanded smooth.

Attachment 697304Attachment 697305Attachment 697309
    That's ingenious.

I did it old-country way with a metal file. It was pretty easy. Was done in about 10 minutes and it looks great.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 12, 2017, 10:46 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3222

I had my kid hold the glass eye above his head. I set a small file to it, and I just ran circles around him really fast for about 7 hours. It came out perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Title said: View Post
    Oh boy, I guess now I get to figure out which is which in the gallery and label them accordingly! Looking at them now, there's one sideways, one standing up and one angled... Are there 3 or was one moved at some point?

By the way, I've been meaning to ask - would a thread on the RPF sourcing information for the Graflex Bank be okay? I'm still pretty new on here, and there's lots of information I want to add that I haven't been able to find yet.
    Now that I look at your pics, they seem the same to me after all. ARRGGG!!!!

When I was at Disneyland last week and saw it in person I could have sworn they were darker. Probably going again within the next month or so, I'll be sure to take pictures.
    From
    UK
    Jan 12, 2017, 10:49 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3223

[QUOTE=SethS;4163656]I had my kid hold the glass eye above his head. I set a small file to it, and I just ran circles around him really fast for about 7 hours. It came out perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Jan 12, 2017, 11:07 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3224

I'm in the same boat, green to this stuff and am willing to learn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 12, 2017, 2:21 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3225

Hmm, so the 2 are different for sure? I had not taken this into account

Mind pinging me if it turns out they use different screws so I can update the Graflex Bank?
    i did not know you were the one behind the graflex bank. wicked awesome site, its one of my favorites! you know i wondered why no one covered any photos of the disneyland graflex? lol

thank you for all the hard work that has gone into your site, i greatly appreciate it and use it all the time as reference!