Subscribe
    Dec 22, 2016, 2:55 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3051

So the question is, which style most closely resembles the grooves on a real Graflex clamp?
    Dec 22, 2016, 5:15 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3052

could the lines be laser engraved but not all the way through the metal?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 22, 2016, 6:10 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3053

laszlo said: View Post
    could the lines be laser engraved but not all the way through the metal?
    these photos here lets me they are hollow, but could possibly engraved. i just ordered the cut covers from roy, that way if theres any official news i have each cover. gotta cover all your bases! see what i did there?! lol

Last edited by halliwax; Dec 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM.
  4. RPF Premium Member Reel Fakes's Avatar
    From
    Twin Cities
    Dec 22, 2016, 9:07 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3054

Just ordered one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. RPF Premium Member fightercaptured's Avatar
    From
    Fayetteville, AR
    Dec 23, 2016, 8:52 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3055

I personally feel the cut grooves are more accurate and am very happy that Roy has now offered us the choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. RPF Premium Member YODAofFXSabers's Avatar
    Dec 23, 2016, 5:47 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3056

Even though a Graflex clamp has pressed grooves I do like the look of the cut outs as it adds depth.

as we all have seen form time to time, sometimes replicating a prop can also be about making it better

MTFBWY
    always
    YODA
    Dec 25, 2016, 11:31 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3057

This thread is amazing and I'm slowly but surely getting my TFA vintage graflex saber together... What's the current opinion of the most accurate clamp card / edge connector available at the moment?
    From
    South Carolina
    Dec 25, 2016, 11:36 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3058

pezzletism said: View Post
    This thread is amazing and I'm slowly but surely getting my TFA vintage graflex saber together... What's the current opinion of the most accurate clamp card / edge connector available at the moment?
    It depends on which version you want. Roy has both the Disney Launch Bay version and the Screen accurate clear version. I got mine from him and I am very happy with it, and now I just need a Graflex lol. Sloth furnace has some clamp cards as well. I think his soldering/gold detail is better, but the plastic is not as clear and therefore not as accurate. If he makes them in better plastic in the future that would be your best bet, but for now, wanna wanga all the way.

From
    Orlando
    Dec 26, 2016, 2:30 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3059

Hey guys, i was keeping up with this thread for some time awhile ago but missed quite a bit over the last couple of months.

Anyhow, i was just wondering if there was anu consensus regarding the grip screws/rivets on the screen used saber?

I took a ride over to Disney's launch bay over the weekend and I can definitely confirm that the saber on display does have the star shaped slot screws...but dont know if this translates to the screen used saber as well.

From
    Central Ca
    Dec 26, 2016, 5:37 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3060

I personally think the Mas saber has the screws.
    I see the facets and there is no dark spot in the middle where the rivet post would fall out once flattened.
    From
    South Carolina
    Dec 26, 2016, 12:28 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3061

Has the saber at the end when Rey holds it out been identified? Is it the Mas or the Finn hero with the turned down glass eye?

Dec 26, 2016, 6:35 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3062

elr02k said: View Post
    Has the saber at the end when Rey holds it out been identified? Is it the Mas or the Finn hero with the turned down glass eye?

I think its the Finn/Rey version. http://graflexbank.com/viigallery.html

From
    South Carolina
    Dec 26, 2016, 9:48 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3063

Kenzie C01 said: View Post

Awesome thank you

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 26, 2016, 10:00 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3064

elr02k said: View Post

Kenzie C01 said: View Post

i think so too, i call this the long grip version.

- - - Updated - - -

DARTH SABER said: View Post
    Hey guys, i was keeping up with this thread for some time awhile ago but missed quite a bit over the last couple of months.

Anyhow, i was just wondering if there was anu consensus regarding the grip screws/rivets on the screen used saber?

I took a ride over to Disney's launch bay over the weekend and I can definitely confirm that the saber on display does have the star shaped slot screws...but dont know if this translates to the screen used saber as well.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psm4xrxfvu.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psswwlwqvm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psku2qbkix.jpg
    thank you for sharing these pictures. do you have any more of this saber? maybe closer to the end profile of the grips? i am so back and forth over the grooves in the clamp cover... these pictures look like they are etched in to me.. lol i love this stuff but it drives me nuts!
    From
    Orlando
    Dec 26, 2016, 11:44 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3065

These are the only other ones i have-

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 27, 2016, 7:10 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3066

Beautiful pictures!

17. RPF Premium Member towelkeeper's Avatar
    From
    Hamburg, Germany
    Dec 27, 2016, 7:32 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3067

Just for fun (on a very sad day) I tried to match the light of Maz Kanatas castle and took some photos of my Graflex.
    The clamp cover on my clamp has cut grooves. I think it looks pretty good, but it's no perfect match to the one on screen. I don't know whether that is because the lighting is different or whether mine is a bit thicker or they used a stamped one in the movie. I'm happy with it, though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Match2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	693505

-- EDIT --
    Here is another one that is much closer. The look of the grooves varies vastly, depending on the lighting.

Name:	Match3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	693589
    Last edited by towelkeeper; Dec 28, 2016 at 5:10 AM.
  18. RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    Dec 28, 2016, 6:32 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3068

towelkeeper said: View Post
    Just for fun (on a very sad day) I tried to match the light of Maz Kanatas castle and took some photos of my Graflex.
    The clamp cover on my clamp has cut grooves. I think it looks pretty good, but it's no perfect match to the one on screen. I don't know whether that is because the lighting is different or whether mine is a bit thicker or they used a stamped one in the movie. I'm happy with it, though...

Name:	Match2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	693505

-- EDIT --
    Here is another one that is much closer. The look of the grooves varies vastly, depending on the lighting.

Name:	Match3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	693589
    There's also the fact that it also uses different lenses etc
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Dec 28, 2016, 9:29 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3069

What's the thread pattern on the slotted screw above the glass eye? I got my adapter and blade plug in yesterday, and would like to set the plug temporarily until my replica flash arrives next month.
    Dec 28, 2016, 10:44 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3070

scifiwolf said: View Post
    What's the thread pattern on the slotted screw above the glass eye? I got my adapter and blade plug in yesterday, and would like to set the plug temporarily until my replica flash arrives next month.
    On the 2.0 it is 4/40. I assume its the same the adapter?

21. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Dec 28, 2016, 10:50 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3071

No, it's the KR Sabers adapter which came with a blade plug. Similar to the Solo's Hold adapter, it's designed to replicate the vintage bulb hardware (so the thread pattern should match a vintage). Until my flash shows up, I'd like to just get a screw at the hardware store to lock down the blade plug in the adapter.

EDIT: It's a #4-40. Thanks!
    Last edited by scifiwolf; Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM.
  22. RPF Premium Member Pixelpiper's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Dec 28, 2016, 1:47 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3072

Thinking of an idealized (aka frankenstein) saber myself. ANH glass eye & tabbed red button, ESB clamp card, grip size/positions, ESB Kobold/ring, TFA screws in grips (6-lobed torx/torx+ or 5-lobed "penta-lobed" style). Now I'm just trying to decide whether I cover up the Graflex logo on the clamp or not.
    Last edited by Pixelpiper; Dec 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM.
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 28, 2016, 1:52 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3073

Pixelpiper said: View Post
    Thinking of an idealized (aka frankenstein) saber myself. ANH glass eye & tabbed red button, ESB clamp card, grip size/positions, ESB Kobold/ring, TFA screws in grips (6-lobed torx/torx+ or 5-lobed "penta-lobed" style). Now I'm just trying to decide whether I cover up the Graflex logo on the clamp or not.
    Oddly enough, I've contemplated a similar idea. I really like the exposed Graflex logo on the clamp and bottom. I kinda wish they didn't cover it up for TFA, but I understand why.

Unfortunately I'm not sure my OCD would be satisfied with a less than accurate representation of the saber. Still... it is tempting.

24. RPF Premium Member Pixelpiper's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Dec 28, 2016, 2:11 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3074

Kbuckne4 said: View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not sure my OCD would be satisfied with a less than accurate representation of the saber. Still... it is tempting.
    My intention has been to have only a single "Luke" Graflex saber and the first plan was straight-up ESB with two red buttons, no tab, six grips, etc. But now looking at what's been changed/done for TFA, part of me wants that little ANH character/homage there as well. I can't bring myself to cover up the entire clamp on Roman's excellent replica, so at most it's a choice of whether to use some mylar or similar metallized tape to cover only the logo. I don't intend to cover the bottom on this saber nor the ROTJ Vader I plan to use the second Graflex replica for.
    Last edited by Pixelpiper; Dec 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM.
  25. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 28, 2016, 2:26 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3075

Pixelpiper said: View Post
    My intention has been to have only a single "Luke" Graflex saber and the first plan was straight-up ESB with two red buttons, no tab, six grips, etc. But now looking at what's been changed/done for TFA, part of me wants that little ANH character/homage there as well. I can't bring myself to cover up the entire clamp on Roman's excellent replica, so at most it's a choice of whether to use some mylar or similar metallized tape to cover only the logo. I don't intend to cover the bottom on this saber nor the ROTJ Vader I plan to use the second Graflex replica for.
    I definitely dig that! I'd love to see some pics when you finish it! It is hard to settle for just one saber and it's very expensive to build more than one. Plus it could end up changing some in Episode VIII anyway. Might as well be happy with something that honors the legacy as well as the craftsman ship that goes into making these beautiful pieces.