TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Ended up smoothing out the glass eye for my Graflex 2.0. Really like the look:
ee6933ed703c7d9b74e1e47dbec40abf.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

No sure what you mean by

Are you implying that Rey/Daisy Ridley did not use a lit blade in her fight scenes?
I don't doubt that she did, but the intensity of blue light on Finn's ignition dwarfs the amount in hers, so whether it was better lit for her, or another reason, it doesn't seem like it's done quite the same way.

I don't doubt that she did, but the intensity of blue light on Finn's ignition dwarfs the amount in hers, so whether it was better lit for her, or another reason, it doesn't seem like it's done quite the same way.

I think what you noticed is that in the CIneFX article I think they mentioned adjusting certain levels in post if needed if the onset light from the stunt sabers were not to their liking. They were able to change the intensity of the brightness on the fly remotely on set. I personally know the tech they used was capable of this feature. I could see them toning down the brightness in post to adjust the mood in the scene. This is mentioned in the CineFx article I believe. I think this maybe what your are seeing.

Last edited:
I think what you noticed is that in the CIneFX article I think they mentioned adjusting certain levels in post if needed if the onset light from the stunt sabers were not to their liking. They were able to change the intensity of the brightness on the fly remotely on set. I personally know the tech they used was capable of this feature. I could see them toning down the brightness in post to adjust the mood in the scene. This is mentioned in the CineFx article I believe. I think this maybe what your are seeing.
That makes sense - I know they were using Hyperdyne blades, but yes, it looks like when Rey's using the lightsaber the LEDs aren't quite as bright as Finn's scene with it. I'll check out the CineFX article when I get a chance.

Consider also that if they were just roto-ing it would be consistent, but by adding practical lights in the mix exposures are going to be varied when you consider the difference in complexion between Ridley and Boyega.

That makes sense - I know they were using Hyperdyne blades, but yes, it looks like when Rey's using the lightsaber the LEDs aren't quite as bright as Finn's scene with it. I'll check out the CineFX article when I get a chance.

Yeah I think they mention they made adjustments in post if needs be. Don't believe everything you read in that article. There's stuff in there that is obvious doesn't make sense. I don't want to accuse anybody of hiding something, but if you read the article you can see what I'm talking about.

I think it's crazy to think that the light in one scene can be compared to another and then be measured as equal in the final cut of a film. They tweak lighting effects like crazy in post production and it's never the same while filming as what you see in the final product.

You fought me pretty hard about this James.. So you agree there are at least two heroes...

It absolutely looks like there is a Hero saber with grips that are short on both ends, and a Hero/Stunt that has grips short at the clamp but go all the way to the end of the tube.

I will say that all the sabers have short grips at the clamp, and it isn't due to the bottom tube being pushed out. Based on new higher-res photos all the grips are short on the clamp side. So anyone using ESB length grips that go from clamp to end would not be accurate to EP7.

After all the trouble they went through to make a sleeve to cover the Graflex clamp logo, I'm really interested to see what they did with the bottom stamping....machined it flat, created a cover plate or just left it.
i was just studying that!! i swear I'm seeing a smooth surface in the back pack scene

Watching the back pack scene and seeing the reflection of the d-ring on the bottom....but I can't make out any stamping details at all. Whatever they covered it with appears more reflective than a regular vintage bottom though.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back