Episode IV 'A NEW HOPE' Graflex Blueprint...REAL or FAKE?

PAWANH44

Good Morning Everyone!,

First of all, I am a new member to this site so I ask you to please bear with me, be honest and helpful when possible, that's all I can ask...THX!

Now, I recently purchased a Episode IV 'A New Hope' Luke Skywalker Graflex saber from JQ Sabers here in the UK, and let me inform you, the quality and craftsmanship are unprecedented...By far the best I've seen - coming a very close second to 'YODA' on the FX-Sabers forum.

However, I am in the process of changing a few things on the hilt as they(albeit very good), are not completely 'movie accurate'. Now, I did a little searching on the net and found this blueprint that appears to be 'Real', however I haven't been able to find any information relating to it's authenticity.
In particular, if you were to make the comparison to my hilt, there are some differences that I want to amend, but I need to be sure the blueprint is authentic, as I don't want to make the alterations unless this BP can be confirmed as real.

The first thing I noticed was the T-Tracks on the BP compared to the one's on my hilt. I am happy with the way they look apart from the ends of the tracks. On the blueprint, it shows the 'cut' angles to be of 30 Degrees, where on my hilt the track ends are only slightly cut, so this is an easy fix.
Secondly, the very obvious difference is with the D-Ring clip...

Now, I know there has been much talk and debate over where/what the original prop ring was from, and to be honest, I very much doubt one could manage to find one around now anyway, but as long as I have something as near as possible then I am happy!.
Anyway, after long debate and searching, I managed to find a company here in the UK that has D-Rings that are pretty close to the original - I will have to make some adjustments but being and engineer, it shouldn't be a problem!.

Anyway, basically if someone knows whether this blueprint is real, I would certainly love to know!..."Does anyone out there know...?"

The Blueprint:
blueprint-Luke-ANH.jpg

blueprint-Luke-ANH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's authentic!!!

No, joking: I made it a couple of months ago, but as screen accurate as possible (developed together with Sym-Cha). You check my website with replica parts at www.wannawanga.com

I consider it a compliment that you mistook it for real :) Roger Christian never made a blueprint of this saber, as far as I know. He just built it from a Graflex!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

I think it's authentic!!!

No, joking: I made it a couple of months ago, but as screen accurate as possible (developed together with Sym-Cha). You check my website with replica parts at www.wannawanga.com

I consider it a compliment that you mistook it for real :) Roger Christian never made a blueprint of this saber, as far as I know. He just built it from a Graflex!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

WOW!:), I honestly took it as real...Looks very authentic!

I will definitely check out your website and most likely bookmark it, thanks!. To be quite honest though, the reason why I thought it was real was because of the many production/promotional photos I have examined, and your blueprint certainly looks very convincing!.

In regards to the alterations I need to do though, I think I have enough information now to proceed. The tracks aren't going to be the issue, its the D-Ring clip I am waiting on, and its going to need a tiny bit of modifying, but I am sure I can manage it!.

Thanks again for the information!
P.S. If you wouldn't mind Roy, I would like to print the blueprint out if I may and frame it...just another picture to hang on my Star Wars 'room'! LOL:);)

Hi PAWANH44,

Welcome ... and thanks for the compliments ... that D-ring is also my custom made design, which Roy also used for his G R A F L E X and blueprint ... and I don't think he minds that you print it ... there's even a larger version in his shop online under goodies free to use :)

http://wannawanga.com/goodies/

Here's a tutorial how to proceed and make the custom clip and D-ring yourself from scratch ... please read carefully before you start ... there's some guidelines to follow otherwise you could mess up your attempts, though being an engineer I highly doubt it :

http://www.therpf.com/f79/templates-diy-luke-anh-vintage-graflex-customized-d-ring-clip-212477/

Chaim

Last edited:
Hi PAWANH44,

Welcome ... and thanks for the compliments ... that D-ring is also my custom made design, which Roy also used for his G R A F L E X and blueprint ... and I don't think he minds that you print it ... there's even a larger version in his shop online under goodies free to use :)

http://wannawanga.com/goodies/

Here's a tutorial how to proceed and make the custom clip and D-ring yourself from scratch ... please read carefully before you start ... there's some guidelines to follow otherwise you could mess up your attempts, though being an engineer I highly doubt it :

http://www.therpf.com/f79/templates-diy-luke-anh-vintage-graflex-customized-d-ring-clip-212477/

Chaim

Hello there Chaim!...Nice to speak to you at last;)

Yeah, I've been on the website and I didn't know he sold items as well:facepalm, might have to keep him in mind for future reference!. As for the clip, I have read the thread and there's some really good info in there. Like I said before though, I've ordered a few clips that are very close to your version actually - Of course it needs a tiny bit of adjustment but as they stand, they make a really good base and are very good quality, so fingers crossed!.

The clip that Daren at JQ Sabers put on is ok, and its kind of a cross between ANH & ESB. However, I am all for authenticity and although minor to some, these little ancillary items all add to the overall look of the hilt. I have today off so I have managed to alter the T-Tracks perfectly, somewhere between 30 - 40 degrees on the cut angle at the ends, and now it looks more like the hilt in the images I have acquired from the net...more like the production models so I am happy!:)

I am still waiting for the clips but they should arrive soon, then I can get to work.
Thanks for the information though, and should anything go wrong or the clips aren't up to standard, I think I will go down the custom route and create my own.

Thanks again m8! ;)

Last edited:
Okay ... I can't wait to see pictures of your finished lightsaber ... I love threads with lots of pictures ... you can even use i.e. photobucket to have larger pictures in your thread :)

Chaim

Okay ... I can't wait to see pictures of your finished lightsaber ... I love threads with lots of pictures ... you can even use i.e. photobucket to have larger pictures in your thread :)

Chaim

Well I plan to post the images soon, when I have made the alterations. The G R A F L E X I purchased is a custom with crystal reveal, lighting and sound - as you would expect from JQ!.
I haven't really had much time to configure the saber as I would like, but I will get round to it. Daren set it up to a very good configuration, but again, I am all for authenticity and I need to get the saber looking & sounding like the ANH one...well as close as I can...
The sound is fine although I have some work to do on configuring the lighting and effects, but i'm getting there slowly!

Will post images as soon as I can! ;)

Right everyone...

As you know I've been busy with my G R A F L E X and have made good progress!. The T-Tracks are now at the correct angle at the ends and look great, however the D-Rings that arrived this morning aren't exactly what I was expecting...

They are nickel coated(not that that is a bad thing), but its the size that's not too great. The ring itself isn't bad and is more or less the correct size - but who exactly really knows the correct size...?

Anyway, I am going to create the plate using Sym-Cha's template, but its getting round to doing it that's the problem(work etc). Once I have the items 'buttoned up', I will or course post some images.

Cheers Chaim!;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back