My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!)

G'day Ktaylor , you're trying to match the ' thickness ' of the wall right ? ( circled in green ) . If so , why not attempt sanding away material from the outside instead of ' routing ' from within ? Would seem a lot safer , if that's what you're after .
Cheers Ged

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah I'm trying to figure out how to put the groove around the outside which is then removed through the center giving those 2 lips that extrude on the top and bottom, I was just looking at the overall thickness of the part and thinking maybe it's not right as a separate issue of ID'ing his part in the first place. Maybe they took this and sanded like your saying to make it thinner but that seems like a lot of work, usually these answers are easier than that when tracking these parts down.
The part circled in green is just showing how that inner lip matches on the 2 parts in an attempt to make a positive ID on this part in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'll just 3D model and print this dish haha be a lot easier then bash all the pieces onto it...

It can be done on a lathe. Drill a hole centered in the dish and use a nut and bolt as an arbor for the lathe chuck to grab. As long as the feed is slow it should work. I think they used something different though or the casting has changed over the years.

This mite help it is a strip of styrene glued on the rime of the dish View attachment 739383you can see it in the shot :cool

I thought that might be what it was at first but then I started to see really high rez pics of it and you can see how its part of the overall shape and form on the inside with no seams, plus its REALLY perfect in the groove, I guess someone could have perfectly lined all that up and seam filled it flawlessly but it seems really unlikely.
check out this pic, its really nicely done, and would be the nicest thing they did on this model if that were the case haha. I think what your seeing in that pic above you posted is just black paint/weather built up in the groove when I zoomed in it looks like build up and not lifted plastic.

crop.jpg

I Like the idea of trying to use my drill press as a lathe, it has a pretty slow speed that I think could work, think I'll give that a try before going print.

It really looks like it could the end cap on a tanker kit as well, this one is REALLY close. Makes sense that the extrusion would be a register for fitting it onto the cylinder of a tank kit.
Untitled-3.jpg

Finished out this pit and re did the plating on this area, it's a lot of work but it looks way better, the overhangs and plate thickness it much better! Excited starting to see the end! I ended up just printing the pattern on paper and using a light adhesive to attach it to the styrene then cut curved parts with pair of scissors and the straight edges with and exacto and straight edge, got to use my custom built 3/16 square punch for all the notches, works great and makes short work of them!

i trimmed the original plating overhang off using the little lip as a guide worked well, also cut the edge off around the pit so that the new plating hangs over it.

IMG_5484.JPGIMG_5491.JPGIMG_5508.JPGIMG_5509.JPGIMG_5515.JPGIMG_5519.JPGIMG_5521.JPGIMG_5523.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 744625

Here is thr plate overhang now, I'll probably just fill the gap between the lip and the armature with milliput and level it out, now I just have to be careful with this plating or it will break off just like the prop did haha.

WOW! So cool to see your replating work. Looks fantastic. Was sanding off the plating as easy as you suspected or did you encounter any problems? I plan on sanding the down the topside plating along the mandibles edge and replating as the overhang is just atrocious.

Looks perfect Ktaylor

It will be a sin to paint her,...seeing her like this

I love this thread

J

Thanks, it's a slow burn but it's starting to come together and pay off! Yeah I would love to be able to have the entire kit put together and get some pics of all the parts bashed but I'll have to prime and base coat a few areas before I put it all tougher unfortunately :/ namely all the pits and inner mandible stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! So cool to see your replating work. Looks fantastic. Was sanding off the plating as easy as you suspected or did you encounter any problems? I plan on sanding the down the topside plating along the mandibles edge and replating as the overhang is just atrocious.

it was really easy, I'll show you my sanding set up, it helped a lot and made it really easy...basically a big block of wood with sand paper adhere to it in and clamped in a vice so I can evenly rub the piece back and forth over it instead of sanding the plating by hand, I'll upload a pic later tonight.

Here is the sandingbock I use, having it mounted in a vice really helps! I have 80 grit on one side and 120 on the other, after that gets the plating off I do a light pass with 150 Ana 220 to smooth out the surface.

IMG_5549.JPG

This is by far the most extreme mod of this kit !!! Freaking outstanding!! I can't wait to see when you start painting. The amount of work that you are putting into this is truly art.

This is by far the most extreme mod of this kit !!! Freaking outstanding!! I can't wait to see when you start painting. The amount of work that you are putting into this is truly art.

Thanks E3kehoe! It's certainly a lot of fun to build it up and see areas start coming together.

WOW! I know I use that a lot, lol, but this is mind blowing to see come together. Can't wait to see it all plated up. I suddenly feel so inadequate, lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back