My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!)

Got this rebuilt finally, was more than I thought it was gonna be, glad to be done with it! I got a really nice notch cutter but it was only 1/8" so had to make 2 cuts on each notch to get it 3/16", having a custom one made now that will be exactly 3/16 so the other 2000 notches I have to cut will go 2x as fast:p

IMG_4011.JPGIMG_4378.JPGIMG_4379.JPGIMG_4381.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    728.4 KB · Views: 258
Got this rebuilt finally, was more than I thought it was gonna be, glad to be done with it! I got a really nice notch cutter but it was only 1/8" so had to make 2 cuts on each notch to get it 3/16", having a custom one made now that will be exactly 3/16 so the other 2000 notches I have to cut will go 2x as fast:p

View attachment 728300View attachment 728301View attachment 728302View attachment 728303

That is gorgeous. I couldnt paint it...I would leave it exactly as is.

Got the engine flap thingy done! I need to get the other kits still for the arms and box on the back, should be done pretty soon! Love this part, the curved fins on the side look really cool and add a lot IMO, the deago version of this is really simple and the whole thing is kinda flat and not rounded which is weird...

IMG_4471.JPGIMG_4472.JPGIMG_4473.JPG

Yes a ton! So is the one you are adding the exact part from the model kit they used? And if so, how did DeAgostini get this far off on some of these shapes? Didn't they use the studio model as reference? It's kinda disconcerting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes a ton! So is the one you are adding the exact part from the model kit they used? And if so, how did DeAgostini get this far off on some of these shapes? Didn't they use the studio model as reference? It's kinda disconcerting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's made from 3 different parts from 3 different kits actually, the tan tube is from the matilda, the flat bottom part with the 2 Buckle latch looking parts is from the crockodile, and the end cAps are from the Russian SU-100, they are heavily modified and sanded but the curved shape across the bottom is a dead giveaway for the part, plus that part is used on other areas of the falcon so stands to reason it would be used. Here is a better pic showing the bottom curved part, you can see this clearly in several pics of the SS model, I will post them later when at my PC.
Its a really cool part, really happy with how it turned out now I just need to make the rest and cast 26 copies, no biggie!

IMG_4465.JPG

Finished up the Starboard side Docking tunnel ( whatever that is?) Sanded down all the DeAgo details and filled the seams then replated it with .02" styrene, all original Kit parts except the 3 little shinano parts that are castings I made, I had to redo the hole in the top of the ship part at the end because I drilled the hole in the wrong place the first time : |

IMG_4576.JPGIMG_4575.JPGIMG_4574.JPG

WOW! That's looking great. You've taken another step into are larger, more detailed world, lol. Your Falcon is gonna look fabulous when completed. Can't wait to see all you redone paneling.

Got some work on the port top mandible done, man laying out those panels is a PITA haha worth it though...I also re did the ledge that hangs over on the inside, the deago had off angles and it was too shallow, have a good pass on the pit wells too, there are a couple pesky parts that are hard to sort but getting close!

IMG_5217.JPGIMG_5218.JPGIMG_5219.JPGIMG_5220.JPG

So I am pretty convinced the radar dish is made from the plastruct elliptical cap piece, (VHE-300 part number, thanks Shane for suggesting it!) it's the right 3" diameter and it has the right kinda profile which isn't perfectly curved but has a bit of a hump towards the front, but most telling to me is this little lip that you can see on the inner surface about 1"8" ish from the edge, seems pretty much identical to me and an odd enough feature to make it seem like a match, and of coarse it's plastruct which is a lot of evidence on it's own. What I'm not so sure about is how to machine that rabbet groove around the edge! It's not like I have a little bitty router table, and I can't imagine trying to route that on my full size router table, at the vest BEST it goes flying across the room and shatters into a million pieces, at the worst I die haha, sooooo yeah. Any ideas?? I'm open to suggestions!

I feel like there is some really simple clever way of doing it that I just am not putting together, that doesn't require 2600+ RPMs and nerves (balls) of steel....

Dish.PNG
Thanks!

The wall thickness is 1/8" inch which looks a little to thick to me now, hmm not sure about this one anymore. I wonder if they thickened this up over the years, I thought maybe they sold different thicknesses on the site, but this is the only one I see...grrrrrr

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back