Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

The EFX Tie and future PD model... Julian/Guy have either of you ever had direct access to a studio used Tie Fighter or the PD model that wasn't behind glass? Julian your Tie ball IS 1/4" too big and your wing stars are FAR TOO thin. We had direct access to an original Tie that was measured,and extensively photographed. As far as scanned,grown parts used by the manufacturer, once we send the models to China they do what they do, it's out of our hands for MASS PRODUCTION.

That's funny Jamie, the Icons TIE cockpit ball, which was made after a production casting has a diameter of 132 mm (the eFX is 127mm). I used a 133mm ball (5-1/4") which should be close taking in account shrinkage of the various generations. The pipe of the original is 31.75mm and was also measured by eFX being that diameter. But it's smaller on the eFX. Also Gene measured the top hatch of an ANH TIE Fighter (Edlunds) at 79.75mm. In no way it can fit a 5" ball. Another guy who has production TIE castings (also a top hatch and a rear cone), confirmed the measurements. And the most important, the parts placement, kit parts dont lie !

Regarding the thickness of my wingstars you are right... Ans wrong. Actually they are correct to the original wing star pattern. However when they did the pulls, resin flew between the 2 parts of the mold making them an uneven thickness. The thickness was twice thicker in some case ! Since the resin flashes of the original were snapped by hand and not cleaned up, you can clearly see the additional thickness made by the flash (I can post pics if you want).
Gene took a good close up on one of the wing edge showing the thickness of 2 opposite arms. One is twice thicker than the other. I replicated that on the first wingstar I made but I finally opted for an even thickness, the thickness of the original wingstar master pattern.

I do understand the models are made in China for mass production but the problems are still real (no real kit parts used which is more important than the size itself). That's why I hope they'll find a better way to reproduce those parts even if they're not original, at least they could be modeled better.

A: Man declares most accurate there is, its his own product and is displayed at exhibition by a company that produce these products to the mass market

B: Man tells camera its the best there is...not true...one would assume this is being told to the manufacturer ?

C: People like accuracy when possible

D: its possible

E: Person show concern that he hopes this isn't going to be final product

F: Out come the idiots that can't have open conversation about what is clearly another human wishing the end results of EFX work being greater then the displayed items...!!

G: No bashing was done, No slagging of talents was done, No flaring of nostrils was done,

H: The Y is like it always was a masterpiece

I: Why is wanting the same for PD a crime now?

J: Stop being a baffoon when opinions are shared on an open forum

You now what George, If I was sat here laughing and sniggering cos I hoped that efx would get it wrong so my own PD or anyone else's would be more accurate then I'd understand your amusing aggression towards us Johnny foreigners, but as I actually stated I HOPED that its done from the ground up so it can be the FIRST actually accurate from DIMS model. Then your clearly just a ................Sorry got bored and lost my track.....where were we again/......oh yeh ....no bored again....cant be arsed ....

Saying "WOW" to everything? No Julian, that's not expected. How about a more of an understanding of what happens to the models when they go into MASS production or the models used to generate interest? When they go to China we're done!We can't do anything. They figure out how they are going to make them.

Or if you have an opinion on a model why not try to better it? As I said we're always looking for help while in the design/master phase of the build process. If you have something to offer, BRING it to the table! WE welcome ideas and thoughts on the builds and you WILL BE credited! Something was missed, talk to us, something needs tweaked,talk to us! It doesn't matter. We can talk.

Steve is the most accessible business owner I've ever met. Anyone can call him at 303-817-9339. The fun to talk to guy you see on the videos IS Steve, hes accessible and easy to talk to!
If you have an issue you can also talk to me directly and I will take notes and pass on the info 217-440-1530.

Jamie, when Steve released the ROTJ AT-ST some years I pointed the fact that the legs were undersized and I was treated like a fool because it was "accurate to the millimeter", that I was bashing the kit... Then a few months (or was it a year ?) he released a V2 with new correctly sized legs. So my "negative" comment was not useless after all...

I do understand that once the model is in hands of the Chinese company who produces the model you can't do anything but wish they do it right.

It is the most accurate PD to date. Prove it better done as a post production example as a model to gauge interest?

The MAN is correct THERE IS no better. PD :) And as I said the original ESB filming model will be used extensively before going into production. For measurements, accuracy and photography. The same will go for the ROTJ ATST. What will you use? Pictures behind glass? Who do you think you're talking to?

No one can predict the final outcome of EFX/China products. It's a hell of a lot more accurate than some garage kit company.

I'm a buffoon for telling it like it is? BOY, I have more insight and contacts within this hobby than you could ever dream of. You, "Guy" are clearly a troll and an idiotic fool in your claims.You have nothing to offer the community other than spite and BS. Enjoy the hobby as you know it, good luck! :D

A: Man declares most accurate there is, its his own product and is displayed at exhibition by a company that produce these products to the mass market

B: Man tells camera its the best there is...not true...one would assume this is being told to the manufacturer ?

C: People like accuracy when possible

D: its possible

E: Person show concern that he hopes this isn't going to be final product

F: Out come the idiots that can't have open conversation about what is clearly another human wishing the end results of EFX work being greater then the displayed items...!!

G: No bashing was done, No slagging of talents was done, No flaring of nostrils was done,

H: The Y is like it always was a masterpiece

I: Why is wanting the same for PD a crime now?

J: Stop being a baffoon when opinions are shared on an open forum

You now what George, If I was sat here laughing and sniggering cos I hoped that efx would get it wrong so my own PD or anyone else's would be more accurate then I'd understand your amusing aggression towards us Johnny foreigners, but as I actually stated I HOPED that its done from the ground up so it can be the FIRST actually accurate from DIMS model. Then your clearly just a ................Sorry got bored and lost my track.....where were we again/......oh yeh ....no bored again....cant be arsed ....

Jamie, I believe the PD displayed was a re working of the Rolando model yes? Just visually it appears so, It appears to have been modded but based around the core kit that was so beautifully made by the good man himself before the ref was available.

Well I have this model and I have the vac form version built now, as do a few other people here and its hugely more accurate in size, from the head to the body to the legs. Height width Depth and so on and so on

Because you want it to be doesn't mean it is?

Neither of the resin version produced are as accurate in size to the vac form version that Mars produced.....Thats Fact

Ha ha stop lording pictures behind glass, as if your all sat at the skywalker Ranch each day chatting with uncle George about how great jot is to have you all over for tea again.... its boring.

I bet you $1000 dollars you can't touch the PD this century with your own hands ? So for you its pics behind glass too bud or are you second inn command now or something and get to go to the big house...

ITs childish and its met with a childish response

There will always be the few that are privileged thank god, and its great that people can benefit from this myself included but lording it is so boring that its just showing the Team up, You wouldn't catch JC lording it or DL ........

I touched a £34,000,000 ferrai last year even sat in it and wiggled me bu on the seat, doesn't mean I can build one though. I still managed to build a Slave 1 cockpit from pics taken behind glass ...wasnt too bad you said so yourself..... So lets stop with "The Team" like its a cult to be followed......its a bunch of talented guys that rely on other talented guys that rely on other talented guys etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ......... Wanna see some emails to prove it ?

We're accessible Julian, more than ever. You can contact us. We will take notes etc. We wont put up with BS though. It's put up or shut up!

Like the Gold Leader... I can't say who owns it, I can't say who allowed it to be photographed and measured. All I can say is, without it we wouldn't have the colors, the additional "plant on" parts etc. It gave us the incite to say "damn" we didn't know this before hand. Lets figure it out and give the masses the most detailed/accurate model we can.
The other models mentioned have been on hand and given the best possible reference to divulge from. What more could we ask for? Why would we lie when we have had access to the original?
The AT-ST, we were given direct assess to original parts. HOW can they be made better for mass production? Bring yourself to the table and we'll embrace you as the talented modeler you clearly are. Talk to Steve and hash this BS out. Maybe then you'll finally understand.

Guy... KISS MY MOTHER F*&$ING ASS!

Yea Guy,

Everything is hands on today. Our team has direct access to reference/photography, measuring, you name it.

If you don't like it, we don't care. If you are mentioning the JC and DL as the JC and DL I know, watch what your saying.They wont back you.
YOU don't even know these people as I do. Don't ever bring them into conversation you chicken ****!

regards,

Jamie

Ha ha stop lording pictures behind glass, as if your all sat at the skywalker Ranch each day chatting with uncle George about how great jot is to have you all over for tea again.... its boring.

I bet you $1000 dollars you can't touch the PD this century with your own hands ? So for you its pics behind glass too bud or are you second inn command now or something and get to go to the big house...

ITs childish and its met with a childish response

There will always be the few that are privileged thank god, and its great that people can benefit from this myself included but lording it is so boring that its just showing the Team up, You wouldn't catch JC lording it or DL ........

I touched a £34,000,000 ferrai last year even sat in it and wiggled me bu on the seat, doesn't mean I can build one though. I still managed to build a Slave 1 cockpit from pics taken behind glass ...wasnt too bad you said so yourself..... So lets stop with "The Team" like its a cult to be followed......its a bunch of talented guys that rely on other talented guys that rely on other talented guys etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ......... Wanna see some emails to prove it ?

Being hostile is only going to wind yourself up Jamie, I'm quite chilled and actually confused at how many points I've raised are being turned into something there not...... Lording is boring........

As for your colleagues, you'd be better off acting like them more, rather than the way you are now, you'd have a chance at the respect they have then too...... If I choose to use people I have had contact with, and have respect for, and totally trust there judgement, and look up to them, and consider them to be stand up people ... if using this type of person... to help you to become like them ...is a crime then thats the second thing tonight you've not understood that was all about improving something!!!!! Try being civil bud, its a good way to be these days? ? Tell it like it is ......... The analogy of the psychology of just this sentence alone could drag on for months.....

The fact of the matter is our group of 15+ years are friends first, and will continue to be so and we will make studio scale models for the masses as long as we can. With or without you. Your inability to create dissension within our group is laughable. You "GUY" singling out JC and DL and implying you have some special relationship to them is laudable The very fact that you were sharing info with DL is well known within the group.
If your not willing to help make these models better then be quiet. I have work to do on EFX models I can't be bothered with any more BS. :D

Julian your Tie ball IS 1/4" too big and your wing stars are FAR TOO thin.

Julien pointed out five years ago that your guys' TIE-Fighter master pattern was most likely too small based on his years of research and actually building multiple patterns of his own, with all original kit parts. You guys doubled down on your "100% accuracy" claims and called Julien all kinds of names back then, too. It was uncool then and it is uncool now.

Your balls are too small, and frankly, if there's anyone around here you ought to be listening to when it comes to the TIE-Fighter, it's Julien.

That's funny Jamie, the Icons TIE cockpit ball, which was made after a production casting has a diameter of 132 mm (the eFX is 127mm). I used a 133mm ball (5-1/4") which should be close taking in account shrinkage of the various generations.

I'm really waiting for someone to respond to this point as well. The ICONS TIE-Fighter hull was something like four resin casting generations removed from the original pattern, by an educated guess. Maybe three generations removed, at best. And yet the ICONS TIE hull is considerably larger than the eFX hull that we were also told was "100% accurate."

As for this week's MR/Nice-N/eFX Y-Wing, Jason, IMO they should've had you paint the master.

Last edited:
The original y wing paint job is pretty rough. From looking at comparison's of the two I think Steve did an excellent job of capturing the details while at the same time not making it look like my five year old took a paint brush to it like the original. I'm looking forward to what efx is doing with their Star Wars line. I don't believe any of these will ever be exact outside of the archives but as a fan of studio kits I'm pretty excited by what they are doing.

Isel

"As for this week's MR/Nice-N/eFX Y-Wing, Jason, IMO they should've had you paint the master."

I know that I am probably wasting my breath (or fingers I guess)... but can we please drop the personal attacks, name calling and angry gnashing of teeth? If you think someone is trolling, report them, if you don't want to report them then just ignore them. There are always going to be negative comments or detractors in some form or another, just keep it civil please, thanks.

Dang Beaz, I am flattered. I actually built most of the model that was at Celebration, but there were a few missing key parts and I was running out of time on my end...

So I told Steve "Without sacrificing quality, I can't finish this build without the parts and then still have time to paint it for the show!" and he said "I can grow the parts and paint it in time" so I packed 'er up and off she went... and he GREW the missing parts on his Objet and painted it IN A DAY. Probably a pretty long day, I reckon, lol!

I was happy to do what I was able to with the time constraints, and it really shows how passionate every one is about this kind of stuff.

Even all the arguing shows how passionate people can get. (trying to look on the bright side of things! lol)

Come to Wonderfest!

As for this week's MR/Nice-N/eFX Y-Wing, Jason, IMO they should've had you paint the master.

This is what Steve got from me only a few weeks from the deadline for getting the model to the show:
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 8.53.26 AM.png

It's funny that all we all want is to better things, but when a group think they can't be bettered get called out it gets ugly.... This is always about bettering ourselves, the crap Julien just got levelled at him about what is the best tie ever made is comical, the ego and the profit snatchers are always the start of the problem, the cause of the problem and the root of of the problem ..... Sometimes just sometimes the best ain't what it thinks it is, instead of opening dialogue to improve it attacks cos it's ego is hurt.... No one has or could slag that y wing it's a masterpiece , no one has slagged anything off but just pointed out where it can be improved or suggested why it may be off based on their own finds....

I made no claim to be friends or close to anyone Jamie but I do know as I stated that from the little contact from these people I have had then it's clear you could learn a lot from them when it comes to public perception

That pd isn't as accurate as it was portrayed .... You have no grounds as a team to promote it as such without scrutiny

Your not the only people that can make claims on record it's not your exclusive right !!!

It's just so boring now to listen to the team the team the team the team.... It's just twaddle these days

A team is only as strong as it's weakest link , stop acting like your the free masons of studio modelling

It's an immensely talented bunch of guys surrounded by a few hundred more

No one can say any less, but please stop with the overlords that can't be wrong attitude and aggression

Re: Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

And for the record my buffoon comment wasn't even levelled at you it was directed at the only person who's post has been removed for trolling in this latest outburst of nonsense so don't jump to conclusions and get bent out of shape so easily, come to the table calm and sit down nicely

And for the record re helping, I've shared more info with "the team" than they ever have with me from id'd to ref pictures so don't be lording that either. I've never asked for anything but given a fare chunk .......

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back