The Definitive Marvel's Daredevil thread

lukester

Like several people I started working on this while watching the new Netflix series. A couple others threads are out there with a "Close enough" items but nothing resembling a definitive thread of confirmed items. I'll post the ones I've found here and update as new items are identified and confirmed.

Reference images:
The Black Ninja Suit album.
The Red Suit album.

The Black Ninja Suit:

The Black Mask: Confirmed
According to this interview with the Costume designer the mask is made using several layers Black cotton mesh fabric. Not as much confirmation as we would like, but its a start.

The Compression Shirt: Confirmed
McDavid 8840R Men's Compression Shirt Long Sleeve. Black, No M Logo on the chest, correct hexagon pattern on the sleeves. The only thing missing obviously, is the red stitching. That would mean that it was done after the fact by the costume department. Click here for a screen shot that supports this theory. The stitch work is pretty shoddy and doesn't look like something that would be mass produced.

8840R_M.jpg

Elbow pads: Confirmed
6515R McDavid Hex Knee/Elbow Pads.

6515R_M.jpg

Forearm sleeve: Confirmed
651R McDavid Hexpad Arm Sleeve
651R_M.jpg

Velcro wrist strap: Confirmed
513 McDavid elastic wrist support with red label removed. Click here for more information.

mcdavidwrist.jpg

The Gloves: Confirmed
Ringers Carbon Tactical Gloves 557

vlbCCZj.jpgXI8RY4J.jpg

The belt: Confirmed
Levi's Cotton Web Belt Silver Military Buckle.

crQnUUY.jpg

The Pants: Confirmed
G-Star Powel 3D Tapered in Black.

GSTA-MP160_V2.jpg

The Boots: Confirmed
Bates E02261 8" Tactical Sport Side Zip Boot.

jNS5Qtc.jpg

Billy Club Box
Imperial Billiard/Pool Cue PRO 1 Hard Box Vinyl Carrying Case

31QmLaRMEPL.jpg

XI8RY4J.jpg

vlbCCZj.jpg

jNS5Qtc.jpg

mcdavidwrist.jpg

6515R_M.jpg

651R_M.jpg

8840R_M.jpg

crQnUUY.jpg

GSTA-MP160_V2.jpg

31QmLaRMEPL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what needs to be addressed is how the **** is the mask going to be done?
It slips on like a beanie and has a long tail at the back.
The material looks like lycra/ribbed cotton
Anyone have any ideas?

How did you create his black mask?
We had to come up with ways to create this mask so that it wasn’t dangerous for him to wear it, but it looked like what we needed it to look like. That was really tricky. It’s made out of a cotton mesh. Layers and layers of it. It has to really conform to his head, but at the same time, he had to be able to see through it. It also had to, in Joe Quesada’s words, 'look really badass.'

- - - Updated - - -

http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

How did you create his black mask?
We had to come up with ways to create this mask so that it wasn’t dangerous for him to wear it, but it looked like what we needed it to look like. That was really tricky. It’s made out of a cotton mesh. Layers and layers of it. It has to really conform to his head, but at the same time, he had to be able to see through it. It also had to, in Joe Quesada’s words, 'look really badass.'

- - - Updated - - -

http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

Very cool!
if only we know which one... im going to do some digging

Edit: So I did some real quick digging on etsy and google.

I couldn't find something that looked similar to the suit pattern (it looks porous, like a sponge almost sometimes) in yard format, but I tried looking for a scarf version that can either be wrapped around the head or sewn.

Here's what I found:

black-swat-tactical-cotton-mesh-scarf-wrap.jpg
This is real cheap, it's 15$ for a 2 meter scarf. This technically should be enough, but the designer said they wrapped it around a lot to acheive the look while also maintaining visibility...
Downside is that i think the spaces are too big. Plus side: cheap and you can get 2 for 1

black-mesh-rannka-unisex-cotton-urban-designer-scarf.jpg
This one looks a bit tighter, however it's 75$ for less than a meter...into the trash

blackmesh.png
Here's another one that is even cheaper (9$ for ~1.5meters) Look actually perfect, good tightness in the mesh...However it looks a bit greyish...oh well...

black-swat-tactical-cotton-mesh-scarf-wrap.jpg

black-mesh-rannka-unisex-cotton-urban-designer-scarf.jpg

blackmesh.png

The arm guards are the following:

View attachment 463150
Hexpad arm guards

That's the same brand I found. I think that's definitely the sleeve/forearm. But as you can see in this screenshot its actually a combination of the forearm sleeve and this elbow pad.

rv8VXCz.jpg

McDavid Hexpad Knee/Elbow/Shin Pad and the McDavid Hexpad Arm Sleeve.

ZVUivzt.jpg SiRzBaA.jpg

ZVUivzt.jpg

SiRzBaA.jpg

rv8VXCz.jpg

That's the same brand I found. I think that's definitely the sleeve/forearm. But as you can see in this screenshot its actually a combination of the forearm sleeve and this elbow pad.

View attachment 463219

McDavid Hexpad Knee/Elbow/Shin Pad and the McDavid Hexpad Arm Sleeve.

View attachment 463217 View attachment 463218

Good reference shot. Instead of being that one, could it have been a shooter sleeve?

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-HexPa..._sim_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VYFFT49MSY41MKGDBKG

That image of the arm pads also shows what kind of belt he's wearing too. Neat.

If the gloves are Ringers Carbon Tactical Gloves 557, what is the strapping at his wrist? I seem to recall whenever he took the gloves off, the strapping remained on the wrist.

And yeah, the pants, mask and stick holster are the only things we still need leads on.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

I did some screencapping after watching a few more episodes today.

Sticks- definitely wood, possibly 1.5 inch dowels?

kvGrV7G.jpg

zr6cs4B.jpg

dXrkRY9.jpg

The holder. Interestingly, I don't see an attachment point on his belt, it looks like its a pair of leg straps holding it on. Probably a custom job.

SVdTJMy.jpg

WoM6JZB.jpg

Here is the wrist strap that was mentioned earlier in the thread

pNn9Gke.jpg

A couple of shots of the elbow pads where some sort of lettering can be seen

xPNY52n.jpg

nLX8Irc.jpg

And a mystery pad that Foggy pulls out of Matt's costume box

Doxmqp2.jpg

Lets keep the momentum going!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back