Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Apr 9, 2015, 9:11 PM - Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #1

Looking at the publicity pics of Mark Hamill holding the not-from-a-Graflex Graflex I always thought the blade looked round.The Kenobi stunt does look like a square or triangular blade though.The Stunt shown looks like it did after it was modified after ANH and used in the Bespin duel.

Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/JWAniYowdeA
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Apr 9, 2015, 9:38 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #2

Neat! Thanks for the link!
    From
    The Outer Rim
    Apr 9, 2015, 9:57 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #3

Cool!

FYI: Jon Rinzler, who writes the Making of books, is the tall guy asking the questions.
  4. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Apr 9, 2015, 10:35 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #4

I wish there was more stuff on the set dressing for Star Wars. Christian was a key figure in creating that retro-future clunky look that was in Star Wars and really was defined in Alien through Blade Runner. I really want to know more of the methodology that went into that.
    From
    Ohio
    Apr 9, 2015, 10:54 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #5

James Kenobi 1138,

Thank you immensely for this!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 9, 2015, 11:10 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #6

very interesting...
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    From
    Brisbane Australia
    Apr 10, 2015, 12:30 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #7

Thanks
    From
    UK
    Apr 10, 2015, 4:01 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #8

Wowee!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 10, 2015, 8:25 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #9

I love men with white gloves :

So I spy with my little eye left to right : DV Barbican, Luke ESB, Luke ROTJ, OB1 with bubbles, OB1 ROTS, Dooku, Maul but what's in the front of picture behind the Vader/Luke stunt? ... a DV ROTJ Graflex?

There's even another in between the Vader/Luke stunt and DV ROTJ Graflex? ... a lightsaber with a red stunt blade ... Anakin's AOTC? :

Indeed a round stunt blade, MPP clamp, not many T-tracks left on it, no red button or glass eye either in the bottom :

Chaim
    From
    Australia
    Apr 10, 2015, 8:42 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #10

Yay.

Ben
  11. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Apr 10, 2015, 9:17 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #11

Could be Graflex clamp painted black. Paint was added to convert it from the Luke to Vader saber for the duel scene. I would also guess that the square blade was swapped out for the round blade because it doesn't spin in that scene while Obi-Wan's blade does.
    Apr 10, 2015, 9:32 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #12

Don Bies said on Facebook that the blade they found was not an original one but one that was made in the 80's for some kind of promotional shoot.
  13. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Apr 10, 2015, 10:17 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #13

We do know they were using round blades as early as ESB even with practice sabers, this saber is in photos and video being used by both Hamill and Bob Anderson. This saber is, I think, the one Luke is holding on the cover of the 'Making of ESB' book.

Looking at the promo photos of Mark in the black shirt going between the hero Graflex and this bladed stunt saber I've always believed that blade was round and not square. I think it is very possible when Luke used it in ANH it was a spinning square blade but changed to a static round blade for Vader.

Now this exact blade may not be an original, but this is the first time I've seen that original stunt saber post ROTJ when it was a practice saber.
  14. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Apr 10, 2015, 10:36 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #14

Agreed James... the black shirt promo shots DID have a round blade. It's round... round round round.

And I don't see an OB1 with bubbles in the table shot. I see a Luke ROTJ that looks cast... you see the casting bubbles.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 10, 2015, 12:44 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #15

Thanks scottjua it's the rings of Luke's ROTJ casting that reflects the light as if they were bubbles

Could that stunt saber in the video also be the same as this only
    with a black painted clamp?

And due to the same lack of a glass eye hole and bunny ears?

Chaim
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Apr 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Apr 10, 2015, 4:03 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #16

I don't think so. There aren't holes for the graflex button and glass eye on the piece in the video.

Unless those were glued on, fell off and those other black things that we see in the video were added on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 4.13.10 PM.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	462624

Also, that's totally a graflex clamp and not MPP. The side profile is what I'm looking at. It's straight and continues the full length of the clamp. That hollow cast Luke ROTJ is pretty neat, it might even be a cast of the V2 seeing as those pommel cubes aren't the same as the resin cast hero next to it - and I believe that red one is an EP. 3 Anakin Stunt. The recessed area up top can be seen and that was a ROTS thing.

are those more stunt blades sitting in front? augh, I wish we knew what those were and how they were situated inside a stunt saber!
    Last edited by thd9791; Apr 10, 2015 at 4:09 PM.
    From
    Apr 10, 2015, 4:12 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #17

Just to clarify, I'm thinking there were either a couple of those tube-stunts or I'm definitely missing some facts on how it got to look like that today

Does anyone recognize this..chunk with a blade on it?

Attachment 462628
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 10, 2015, 5:16 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #18

thd9791 said: View Post
    I don't think so. There aren't holes for the graflex button and glass eye on the piece in the video.
    Exactly my point ... so it could be the same prop, since the hole for a glass eye is not apparent either in the stunt saber I posted As for the clamp ... normally an MPP clamp has a plastic sleeve underneath and thus appears not straight but without it ... it's straight ... so still it's inconclusive to discard the MPP clamp over a G R A F L E X, don't you agree? Also a G R A F L E X clamp would show a text and additional lines engraved even under black paint, however those are quite hard to distinguish even from those screenshots I took, hence I tend to lean towards an MPP clamp as seen on the Barbican saber. That said . . . if the saber in the video is the same as the stunt in Luke's hand, which I posted, then it's more then likely the clamp is indeed . . . a G R A F L E X painted black, because the lever is quite visible as such ... and an MPP lever is totally different in shape

Chaim
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Apr 10, 2015 at 5:30 PM.
  19. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Apr 10, 2015, 5:31 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #19

Well I'm going to disagree with the lead archivist and say it is not the original Luke saber!
    From
    Ohio
    Apr 10, 2015, 6:14 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #20

How many screen used Luke-wielded stunt sabers are used in ESB?

1. Laela's bladed pipe saber (does this, or any of these, have a better known name?)
    2. Short-bladed off-center Wampa Cave Graflex
    3. Bespin duel full-bladed Graflex
    4. ???

If any of the three I have mentioned are the same saber, feel free to correct me as I am somewhat new to the stunts.

Also, regarding the pipe saber Laela holds in the video, the clamp looks to be rubber or foam as it is thick looking. I know MPP's have rolled sides and a plastic sleeve making them appear thick, but don't they also have a reflective sheen to them? I realize decades can do wonders for dulling a sheen, but it looks completely flat black.

thd9791, I am unable to view your attachment. Could just be me though.
    From
    Apr 10, 2015, 6:16 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #21

Didn't catch that the glass eye wasn't screwed in I'm on board now.Before I make conclusions, I want to know what those black thins are on the emitter in the video. It looks like someone tried to mimick the plug holes on a graflex.
  22. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Apr 10, 2015, 6:25 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #22

Looks like the same hex screws as used on the Vader Graflex.
  23. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Apr 10, 2015, 6:46 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #23

I'm starting to think this an ESB-era stunt saber and not the original ANH Luke Graflex-style practical effects saber.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Apr 10, 2015, 8:38 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #24

Wow you guys are nerds. Is that ROTJ Luke a stunt/cast version or is that a machining mark on the pommel?

Very cool video! Is this one of the extras from the digital versions?
    From
    Apr 10, 2015, 9:11 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #25

Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    Wow you guys are nerds. Is that ROTJ Luke a stunt/cast version or is that a machining mark on the pommel?

Very cool video! Is this one of the extras from the digital versions?
    both of those "rotj" type sabers are resin casts. The one you're referring to has some blemish on the bottom, it looks like paint rubbed off. I have an exhibition photo somewhere..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 47.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	462705

The other hollow resin piece there looks like an ANH era prop. It isn't identical to this hero piece, and is hollow, which is exciting

Also, thanks Kurtyboy for posting that close-up. note the sec screw on the inner tube as opposed to the outer on the promo shot. That....on the right of the shroud....that almost looks like a countersunk allen head screw, like the ones used on the "ROTJ Vader" saber, which was also a stunt. Are those screws part of fencing prop construction and not decor in these cases?
    Last edited by thd9791; Apr 10, 2015 at 9:23 PM.