Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade

Not sure what prop you're referring to
The Stunt that you posted about before? in every shot we've seen the tip looked rounded off - was it cut off recently? or were we mistaken?
Thank you immensely! :)

Its the same one as posted before. Here are a few more pics of the hilt and the top of the rod showing it held by other hands which hopefully shows more of the handle - not all obscured by my big paws. I unfortunately didn't look closely at the top and it was only later when I was looked at a pic of me holding the saber pointed downwards that I noticed what appears to be a hollow core. The blade hasn't been changed between the photos so I can only assume it always been like that.

I always have a huge amount to do when I am there so its almost impossible for me to remember to look closely at everything.

My apologies.

SABER_SWR.jpg

MARK

Its the same one as posted before. Here are a few more pics of the hilt and the top of the rod showing it held by other hands which hopefully shows more of the handle - not all obscured by my big paws. I unfortunately didn't look closely at the top and it was only later when I was looked at a pic of me holding the saber pointed downwards that I noticed what appears to be a hollow core. The blade hasn't been changed between the photos so I can only assume it always been like that.

I always have a huge amount to do when I am there so its almost impossible for me to remember to look closely at everything.

My apologies.

View attachment 728856

MARK

Mark-no worries, this is great!

It appears to have a Graflex clamp covered in Gaffer tape..
its nice to see the embedded allen screws near the emitter

blade is covered with reflective material - maybe a thick layer or tape over something

So its most likely a metal blade?

Mark-no worries, this is great!

It appears to have a Graflex clamp covered in Gaffer tape..
its nice to see the embedded allen screws near the emitter

blade is covered with reflective material - maybe a thick layer or tape over something

So its most likely a metal blade?

From the photos and anecdotal evidence I believe they were simply golf clubs, with the grips and heads removed;
Tapered lightweight metal tubes with a threaded tip, which were cheap enough to replace regularly when the actors broke them training.

Last edited:
From the photos and anecdotal evidence I believe they were simply golf clubs, with the grips and heads removed;
Tapered lightweight metal tubes with a threaded tip, which were cheap enough to replace regularly when the actors broke them training.
Hmm, are the thick ends threaded? That would be the handle

No, I mean the pointy end threaded, as shown in a photo a few posts back. Cheap clubs I had as a kid from my mum's mail order catalogue you could unscrew the heads.

I was looking a golf clubs too. But I could never find them long enough. If u look at some of the photos especially the one with hamill and prowse those rods are long

The behind the scenes duel in the emperor's throne room they also look long to me

Have I had any luck finding longer clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are Callaways 1997 range but I'm sure other makers produced a similar range of sizes from way back when. 51.5 inches is their xxl shaft and thats 4 foot 3 or 1.3metres. Does that sound long enough?
IMG_1185.JPG

We need a member here to do a mathematical colculation of the blade sizes in the photos from known markers. Anyone done this?

These are Callaways 1997 range but I'm sure other makers produced a similar range of sizes from way back when. 51.5 inches is their xxl shaft and thats 4 foot 3 or 1.3metres. Does that sound long enough?
View attachment 737398

We need a member here to do a mathematical colculation of the blade sizes in the photos from known markers. Anyone done this?

i like the 51.5" a lot of the tank antennas are around that length as well

From what I've seen that makes perfect sense to me. For those thicker looking blades its most likely a golf shaft core wrapped in several layers of scotchlite or other material to make them thicker looking that would also add extra strength and durability to the shaft. Look at the tip end of that blade pic. Looks like a thick coat of scotchlite

Tell you what, I have a vintage Heiland Synchronar flash handle around here somewhere.
I'm going to test my theory by getting myself an old golf driver off ebay and make a 'Vader duelling stunt' with it.

EDIT: Just searched for 'replacement golf shaft" on ebay and got a Forgan (world's oldest manufacturer of golf clubs apparently) 46 inch carbon shaft, brand new, for £12 with free postage. I thought it would have been steel back in the 70's when the movies were made but I have checked the history and carbon shafts were introduced in 1973.

Looks like I'm going to have some swishy-swooshy fun out in the garden with this. Like Ewan McGreggor I will make my own saber sounds... vrrrmmmmmmmm... vrrrmmmmmmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back