Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Messages
    22
    May 14, 2017, 3:41 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #201

    That doesn't look like a wood dowel Almost looks hollow
  2. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    3,639
    May 14, 2017, 8:58 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #202

    KramStaar said: View Post
    Here's a picture of the top of the blade taken 2 weeks ago.
    Apologies that is been so tightly cropped...

    Attachment 728577
    Not sure what prop you're referring to

    The Stunt that you posted about before? in every shot we've seen the tip looked rounded off - was it cut off recently? or were we mistaken?

    Thank you immensely!
  3. KramStaar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Australia
    Messages
    946
    May 15, 2017, 12:49 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #203

    thd9791 said: View Post
    Not sure what prop you're referring to
    The Stunt that you posted about before? in every shot we've seen the tip looked rounded off - was it cut off recently? or were we mistaken?
    Thank you immensely!
    Its the same one as posted before. Here are a few more pics of the hilt and the top of the rod showing it held by other hands which hopefully shows more of the handle - not all obscured by my big paws. I unfortunately didn't look closely at the top and it was only later when I was looked at a pic of me holding the saber pointed downwards that I noticed what appears to be a hollow core. The blade hasn't been changed between the photos so I can only assume it always been like that.

    I always have a huge amount to do when I am there so its almost impossible for me to remember to look closely at everything.

    My apologies.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SABER_SWR.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	728856

    MARK
  4. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    3,639
    May 15, 2017, 12:53 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #204

    KramStaar said: View Post
    Its the same one as posted before. Here are a few more pics of the hilt and the top of the rod showing it held by other hands which hopefully shows more of the handle - not all obscured by my big paws. I unfortunately didn't look closely at the top and it was only later when I was looked at a pic of me holding the saber pointed downwards that I noticed what appears to be a hollow core. The blade hasn't been changed between the photos so I can only assume it always been like that.

    I always have a huge amount to do when I am there so its almost impossible for me to remember to look closely at everything.

    My apologies.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SABER_SWR.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	728856

    MARK
    Mark-no worries, this is great!

    It appears to have a Graflex clamp covered in Gaffer tape..
    its nice to see the embedded allen screws near the emitter

    blade is covered with reflective material - maybe a thick layer or tape over something
  5. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Messages
    22
    May 16, 2017, 9:05 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #205

    So its most likely a metal blade?

    thd9791 said: View Post
    Mark-no worries, this is great!

    It appears to have a Graflex clamp covered in Gaffer tape..
    its nice to see the embedded allen screws near the emitter

    blade is covered with reflective material - maybe a thick layer or tape over something
  6. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    3,639
    May 16, 2017, 10:03 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #206

    leeloo88 said: View Post
    So its most likely a metal blade?
    Yes, based on all behind the scenes footage, recollections and whatnot, we've always assumed they're metal, and some tapered.
  7. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 9:51 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #207

    leeloo88 said: View Post
    So its most likely a metal blade?
    From the photos and anecdotal evidence I believe they were simply golf clubs, with the grips and heads removed;
    Tapered lightweight metal tubes with a threaded tip, which were cheap enough to replace regularly when the actors broke them training.
    Last edited by userd1402; 6 Days Ago at 10:04 AM.
  8. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    3,639
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 10:41 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #208

    userd1402 said: View Post
    From the photos and anecdotal evidence I believe they were simply golf clubs, with the grips and heads removed;
    Tapered lightweight metal tubes with a threaded tip, which were cheap enough to replace regularly when the actors broke them training.
    Hmm, are the thick ends threaded? That would be the handle
  9. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 10:58 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #209

    No, I mean the pointy end threaded, as shown in a photo a few posts back. Cheap clubs I had as a kid from my mum's mail order catalogue you could unscrew the heads.
  10. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,426
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 11:39 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #210

    userd1402 said: View Post
    From the photos and anecdotal evidence I believe they were simply golf clubs, with the grips and heads removed;
    Tapered lightweight metal tubes with a threaded tip, which were cheap enough to replace regularly when the actors broke them training.
    I was looking a golf clubs too. But I could never find them long enough. If u look at some of the photos especially the one with hamill and prowse those rods are long

    The behind the scenes duel in the emperor's throne room they also look long to me

    Have I had any luck finding longer clubs?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 1:37 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #211

    These are Callaways 1997 range but I'm sure other makers produced a similar range of sizes from way back when. 51.5 inches is their xxl shaft and thats 4 foot 3 or 1.3metres. Does that sound long enough?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1185.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	737398

    We need a member here to do a mathematical colculation of the blade sizes in the photos from known markers. Anyone done this?
  12. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,426
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 1:56 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #212

    userd1402 said: View Post
    These are Callaways 1997 range but I'm sure other makers produced a similar range of sizes from way back when. 51.5 inches is their xxl shaft and thats 4 foot 3 or 1.3metres. Does that sound long enough?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1185.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	737398

    We need a member here to do a mathematical colculation of the blade sizes in the photos from known markers. Anyone done this?
    i like the 51.5" a lot of the tank antennas are around that length as well
  13. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Messages
    22
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 5:36 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #213

    From what I've seen that makes perfect sense to me. For those thicker looking blades its most likely a golf shaft core wrapped in several layers of scotchlite or other material to make them thicker looking that would also add extra strength and durability to the shaft. Look at the tip end of that blade pic. Looks like a thick coat of scotchlite
  14. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,426
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 9:21 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #214

    are golf clubs "poles" hollow?
  15. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    388
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 9:31 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #215

    So, what y'all are getting at is...

    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRce!!!!
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    388
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 9:51 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #216

    halliwax said: View Post
    are golf clubs "poles" hollow?
    Yes, they are indeed!
  17. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,426
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 9:52 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #217

    Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Yes, they are indeed!
    excellent
  18. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    5 Days Ago  Jun 20, 2017, 1:56 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #218

    Tell you what, I have a vintage Heiland Synchronar flash handle around here somewhere.
    I'm going to test my theory by getting myself an old golf driver off ebay and make a 'Vader duelling stunt' with it.


    EDIT: Just searched for 'replacement golf shaft" on ebay and got a Forgan (world's oldest manufacturer of golf clubs apparently) 46 inch carbon shaft, brand new, for 12 with free postage. I thought it would have been steel back in the 70's when the movies were made but I have checked the history and carbon shafts were introduced in 1973.

    Looks like I'm going to have some swishy-swooshy fun out in the garden with this. Like Ewan McGreggor I will make my own saber sounds... vrrrmmmmmmmm... vrrrmmmmmmmm...
    Last edited by userd1402; 5 Days Ago at 8:36 AM.
  19. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    IA, USA
    Messages
    2,172
    5 Days Ago  Jun 20, 2017, 3:16 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #219

    I'd be very interested in your results!
  20. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Messages
    22
    5 Days Ago  Jun 20, 2017, 11:21 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #220

    I second that!
  21. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Messages
    22
    3 Days Ago  Jun 22, 2017, 12:17 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #221

    Any updates on this?

    userd1402 said: View Post
    Tell you what, I have a vintage Heiland Synchronar flash handle around here somewhere.
    I'm going to test my theory by getting myself an old golf driver off ebay and make a 'Vader duelling stunt' with it.


    EDIT: Just searched for 'replacement golf shaft" on ebay and got a Forgan (world's oldest manufacturer of golf clubs apparently) 46 inch carbon shaft, brand new, for 12 with free postage. I thought it would have been steel back in the 70's when the movies were made but I have checked the history and carbon shafts were introduced in 1973.

    Looks like I'm going to have some swishy-swooshy fun out in the garden with this. Like Ewan McGreggor I will make my own saber sounds... vrrrmmmmmmmm... vrrrmmmmmmmm...
  22. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    2 Days Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 8:46 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #222

    leeloo88 said: View Post
    Any updates on this?
    Patience leeloo88, I only ordered my golf-club shaft on Tuesday.
    Well it arrived this morning and it's amazing. It weighs almost nothing (under two ounces according to the spec sheet) and when you tap the end on the ground it 'rings' like metal. It's super stiff with almost no flex. As you can see from the pictures below I'm gluing a piece of threaded rod inside the thick end so I can then simply add some captive nuts to the saber handle and screw the new 'dueling blade' into it. Then if the blade breaks it can be unscrewed and a new one inserted which I exactly what I think they did back in the day. The easiest and cheapest way is usually the way things are done in movie-making, if it looks OK on screen.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.47.21.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	738238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.47.29.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	738239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.47.51.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	738240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.49.36.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	738241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.49.57.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	738242
    Last edited by userd1402; 2 Days Ago at 8:52 AM.
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    388
    2 Days Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 10:21 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #223

    Hey @userd1402 ! What's the business end look like? Hollow? Or solid?

    Did you pick up any reflective tape for it yet?
  24. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,426
    2 Days Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 6:37 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #224

    userd1402 said: View Post


    Patience leeloo88, I only ordered my golf-club shaft on Tuesday.
    Well it arrived this morning and it's amazing. It weighs almost nothing (under two ounces according to the spec sheet) and when you tap the end on the ground it 'rings' like metal. It's super stiff with almost no flex. As you can see from the pictures below I'm gluing a piece of threaded rod inside the thick end so I can then simply add some captive nuts to the saber handle and screw the new 'dueling blade' into it. Then if the blade breaks it can be unscrewed and a new one inserted which I exactly what I think they did back in the day. The easiest and cheapest way is usually the way things are done in movie-making, if it looks OK on screen.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.47.21.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	738238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.47.29.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	738239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.47.51.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	738240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.49.36.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	738241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-23 10.49.57.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	738242
    that looks awesome!

Similar Threads

  1. Is the MoM lightsaber in the LFL archive?
    gjw, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 2, 2012, 12:58 AM
  2. Shots of Original Trooper Helmets at LFL Archive
    Star Wars Helmets, Replica Props
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: May 29, 2010, 4:05 PM
  3. Another Blade Runner Find-NOT FOUND
    androidandy, Replica Props
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan 7, 2007, 12:59 AM