Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade

Haha, that was a theory based from someone who has a massive star wars collection, and apparently owns an antenna based prop. Those have rounded spherical tips. There's been no other basis for that theory yet though, and nobody seems to be able to find them.

It's news to me (and others I think) that there were more than one type of rod used, as I just found out.

Could they possibly have even used wood in all 3 films ??

Good thinking, but this is incorrect. Those screencaps alone include metal blades, and there has been a mountain of research in Luke V2, ROTJ Vader, behind the scenes and other threads on here. Try searching the star wars section for these things and reading up. Wooden square rods were used for the first film, with reflective tap on them. They rotated. They continuously broke so they abandoned them for metal stable rods. In every behind the scenes clip you can hear them hitting the floor and ringing.

I did notice one thing. Behind the scenes these metal replacement rods never seem to bend when dueling but in the prequels the saber rods bent every take. Could it have been a different type of metal ?

I did notice one thing. Behind the scenes these metal replacement rods never seem to bend when dueling but in the prequels the saber rods bent every take. Could it have been a different type of metal ?

That is correct, the rods for the early prequels were straight aluminum, which is a soft metal. Naturally, this wasn't the case with the OT, as that bending never happened haha

Hope these show it any better. Looks like two indentations very close together.
The angle is not the same so it will look wider in the video screenshot.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/dents.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/dents2.jpg

These two are not the same piece modified. The indentation in the filler is not a defining element that links the two. In fact I don't see any similarities between them in that regard. In any case, look at the blade holder protruding slightly out from the filler. The original has a set screw in it, the later version doesn't. Also, there are holes closer together in the original that can't be seen in the later. There are a few other details I can comment on that would suggest these are not the same prop just modified but I think I've made my point.

Okay I didn't know that the blades in the PT were aluminum that explains the bending lol. Could they have been steel perhaps in the OT?I'm sure this has been answered before but on the Vader ROTJ is the little rod protruding from the top was that a rod that went inside the blade or the blade itself they just cut off?

Last edited:
Yep
Okay I didn't know that the blades in the PT were aluminum that explains the bending lol. Could they have been steel perhaps in the OT?I'm sure this has been answered before but on the Vader ROTJ is the little rod protruding from the top was that a rod that went inside the blade or the blade itself they just cut off?

From the photos in this thread, you should see the thicker blade on that saber, covered in reflective tape. That rod went inside whatever blade was attached, most likely in the same fashion as the ANH stunt I was talking about

Ah I understand now. Is it possible those were aluminum also and not bending due to the fights being slower and not as hard hitting ? Maybe this will remain a mystery

Yep

From the photos in this thread, you should see the thicker blade on that saber, covered in reflective tape. That rod went inside whatever blade was attached, most likely in the same fashion as the ANH stunt I was talking about

Okay I was just at an antique store with my wife and I noticed a couple of fencing foils the color matches that metal rod embedded in the aluminum stock then I pulled up the wiki page on fencing foils it a possibility maybe thicker poles made of same material were used

Okay I was just at an antique store with my wife and I noticed a couple of fencing foils the color matches that metal rod embedded in the aluminum stock then I pulled up the wiki page on fencing foils it a possibility maybe thicker poles made of same material were used

That makes perfect sense. Fencing foils are hand in hand with the movie industry.

BB8 We may be onto something here! I'm actually heading towards fencing Sabre blades instead of actual fencing foils because the Sabre blades are round. Google fencing sabre some pictures even have the blade out of the hilt with a smaller rod at the base they look very close to the saber prop blades on the table that could explain some things we see even on the Vader ROTJ saber.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back