Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Subscribe
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jul 5, 2017, 11:09 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #226

leeloo88 said: View Post
    How's this project coming along userd1402?
    i second that!
  2. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jul 6, 2017, 5:52 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #227

Blimey you people are impatient! I usually do proppy stuff just on weekends so my builds tend to take months rather than days guys. Rest assured I will post when there's something to add. D.

EDIT: OK, for all the impatient people, I did a bit more this morning while I waited in for a delivery.

These old flash handles all have the same cup-fitting in the end which holds a plastic insert/contact for the flashbulb. When you unscrew the bulb-release button all this drops out the front so you simply discard the plastic centre and you are left with an anodised steel cup with a half-inch hole in it's base. I previously epoxied a length of M10 threaded rod inside my carbon blade and the exposed end of this was fed through the hole in the base of the cup and I put some nuts on the back to hold it tight. Washers on both sides, of course, to ease it back off and keep from damaging the cup. Then the cup is simply re-inserted into the end of the handle, the external bulb-release button screw holds the cup in place and the shroud slips over that. Sorted!

Just like they would have back in the day - simple hardware strore components and the original flash body to produce a simple duelling practice / stunt set-up. Reflective tape will be added to the blade on this one at some point as well as T-track and a replica clamp. Enjoy;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (7).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	741728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (8).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	741729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (10).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	741730

Name:	2-Blade (11).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	741731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (14).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	741732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (13).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	741737
    Last edited by userd1402; Jul 7, 2017 at 8:17 AM.
  3. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jul 8, 2017, 6:53 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #228

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @userd1402 ! What's the business end look like? Hollow? Or solid? Did you pick up any reflective tape for it yet?
    The whole shaft is hollow, from 18mm thick end to 7mm thin end.
    I've been thinking about this and I'm not going to slavishly do what they did back in the '70's just because it's accurate.
    I'm going to lightly sand my blade and colour it with highly reflective modern PAINT, the kind used to make stuff glow in your headlights at night.

Anyway, since I was just trying to prove a point about how straight-forward it is to use these components I think job done. We now return you to your usual programming...
    Last edited by userd1402; Jul 8, 2017 at 12:18 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jul 8, 2017, 7:32 PM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #229

userd1402 said: View Post
    Blimey you people are impatient! I usually do proppy stuff just on weekends so my builds tend to take months rather than days guys. Rest assured I will post when there's something to add. D.

EDIT: OK, for all the impatient people, I did a bit more this morning while I waited in for a delivery.

These old flash handles all have the same cup-fitting in the end which holds a plastic insert/contact for the flashbulb. When you unscrew the bulb-release button all this drops out the front so you simply discard the plastic centre and you are left with an anodised steel cup with a half-inch hole in it's base. I previously epoxied a length of M10 threaded rod inside my carbon blade and the exposed end of this was fed through the hole in the base of the cup and I put some nuts on the back to hold it tight. Washers on both sides, of course, to ease it back off and keep from damaging the cup. Then the cup is simply re-inserted into the end of the handle, the external bulb-release button screw holds the cup in place and the shroud slips over that. Sorted!

Just like they would have back in the day - simple hardware strore components and the original flash body to produce a simple duelling practice / stunt set-up. Reflective tape will be added to the blade on this one at some point as well as T-track and a replica clamp. Enjoy;

ID:	741728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (8).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	741729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (10).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	741730

Name:	2-Blade (11).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	741731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (14).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	741732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Blade (13).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	741737
    That is freak'n awesome!!! Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Australia
    Jul 9, 2017, 7:13 AM - Re: Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade #230

userd1402 said: View Post

ID:	741728
    Looking fantastic!

MARK