Age of Ultron Captain America Gauntlets with Template

cdkealey

11-Medium.jpg

Hey guys and gals- I wanted to share the AOU cap gauntlets I just finished. I started by using reference pictures from the movie and the Hot Toys figure to make a template in Gimp, and then printed it out onto poster paper. I simplified the design a bit to better suit a foam build.

temp-tut-pic-Medium.jpg
full-pic-Medium.png4-Medium.jpg

I traced the shapes from the template onto 5mm and 3mm craft foam (I get my foam from Hobby Lobby), and cut them out with scissors. For the long and narrow lines at the base of the gauntlets, I used an xacto knife and a ruler instead of scissors to get straight and even cuts. All the pieces were then glued together using super glue (I like a brand called Rhino Glue). To keep consistent spacing, I placed scrap pieces of 2 and 3mm foam, turned on their side, in between the pieces while gluing them together. I found some thin cardboard laying around that was the perfect thickness for a spacer for the narrow lines as well.

IMG_6133-Medium.jpgIMG_6137-Medium.jpgIMG_6154-Medium.jpg6-Medium.jpg

I have found that whenever you are gluing together several layers of foam that you ultimately want to stay in a curved position (like gauntlets), it is best to hold them in that curved position while you glue them together. Otherwise the resulting flat block of foam will be too rigid to curve around your body. Alternatively, if there are only 2 or 3 layers of thin foam, you can glue everything flat on the table and then add an additional layer of either foam or nylon webbing to the inside of the item, and glue that layer on a curve. I made a simple cone-shaped tool to help with this, out of a large rolled up sheet of poster board paper stuffed with plastic grocery bags and taped shut. I bent the gauntlets around the cone and glued a length of nylon webbing along the inside of the top and bottom of the gauntlets, holding the foam in that curved position while the glue dried. I glued some velcro to the inside edges for fastening the gauntlets closed. The webbing on the hand piece is from strapworks.com.

To paint the gauntlets, I brushed on one thick coat of Benjamin Moore Aura to smooth out the texture of the foam a bit, and then 3 to 4 coats of regular acrylic paint from the craft store (brush-on as well). After painting I sprayed on a couple coats of clear plasti dip.

pic-1.jpg10-Medium.jpg13-Medium.jpg
IMG_6202-Medium.jpg12-Medium.jpgIMG_6207-Medium.jpg

The template for the gauntlets can be downloaded here.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Wow those look amazing! Such clean foam work! Whats this benjamin moore aura stuff? Just a brand of acrylic paint or is it special?

Thanks! Aura is a regular indoor acrylic/latex paint. I like it as a base coat because you can slap it on pretty thick (depending on the design of the object) and it does a great job of self- leveling, giving you a nice and smooth surface. It also has pretty good hide, covering the color of the foam nicely as well as being useful as a final color for light colors like yellow that would otherwise need more coats than darker colors. It can be difficult to work with though as it dries very fast.

Could somebody tell me the overall diameter of the gauntlet once it has been assembled, as well as the total length of the gauntlet?
cdkealey: Also, would you mind at all if I modified these templates slightly and added some new pieces for my AoU-style suit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey 14th, dimensions will vary depending on the thickness of the foam you use. When using 3mm and 5mm thick foam like in the pics, they will be something like this:
Overall outer diameter: 4 inches
Length: 5.5 inches without hand guard, about 8 inches with
Inside wrist circumference: 9 inches
Inside forearm circumference (5.5 inches above wrist): 10.5 inches

Not at all- Modify away! And post pics!

I love your work so much! Do you think that it could handle a similar magnet set-up to the film? Obviously, it wouldn't be as strong, but...could it hold the weight of a shield, assuming the magnets were strong? Thanks!

Thanks! Hmm, I would think not directly attached to the foam, but if you could attach the magnets to the nylon webbing underneath the foam, and then cut a window in the foam to expose the magnets, that could potentially work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back