What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

Re: What's on your workbench?

Ok I think I've gotta good project I can work on alongside my Lego stuff. Anyone want to see me attempt at making a Guardian Keytool? You know the little living tool Guardian 452 Bob of Mainframe has, the one by the name of Glitch?

Two things I can already see being a small problem and both are key features of the Keytool. The cog wheel like part that serves as a screen as well as transforming into other tools. Getting a disk the right size is the easy part forming it into the right shape is harder.

The other part will require resin for the sceen part but if I look at the first image on this wiki correctly reboot.wikia.com/wiki/Glitch Glitch's screen is textured like a old LCD how would you get that look? Can I just go buy some cheep calculators and empty the LC and set it under a screen cover made from Resin?

I'd rather not ruin resin and I have no clue what the goo would do is you mixed a batch of resin with the LC inside like it were a dye. I mean I know a lot of stuff can be used as color pigments but water based stuff unless in small amounts would weaken the setting. Hmm I am rambling in the wrong place I'm gonna do like my Pup Dachshund and do some digging into the LCD delima. As for what I pick for Glitch to display some cameos of pixel are and a Command line who knows but it'll be Decals what ever the pick.

20180710_155725.jpg

Long way off finishing this one, I just hit it with some silver spray to see what I was gonna get once light covers and dials are fitted (printed dials till I get the proper ones cut) Thanks to Ian Martin for the table files and Sean Fields for the Monsters
20180617_161120.jpg
Just gotta paint them the right colours now …. And add some little bits I broke off

Warhammer stuff:
41602508545_6fe7cf7355_c.jpg

That's my nearly done Grey Knight Terminator. This is his forearm-mounted storm bolter:
42725480632_c675f7d9b0_c.jpg

I've also made a couple of copies of the Wolf Helm of Russ:
42669188384_93994f3bf6_c.jpg

And I've just started on an Adepta Sororitas build:
43250844391_ae0469b932_c.jpg

Progress continues on the War Machine build I started with clonesix a while back:
43250844961_5eba810db6_c.jpg

Then there's the Star Wars stuff. Starting with a Patrol Trooper helmet kit I'm almost done with:
43250844051_abf26dc580_c.jpg

And a 3D printed set of First Order quadnoculars that just need a bit more work:
42504449585_c4d8e72292_c.jpg

Finally, here's the M-96 Incinerator prototype in progress:
28539031667_629dc20b9f_c.jpg

There's probably more, but those are the things on top of the list right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

1C6007CB-1E44-4BB3-97B1-13C6FC3C96D0.jpeg

Waiting on some LEDs for this guy. I realized while editing the photo how silly it was.. you put so much work into the lighting and shot, and then just add grain and dust haha. I think it really helps sell the effect or aesthetic I was aiming for though.

Also working on another V2 saber for a client here. Just waiting on a part for it.

Another "not on the workbench but recently removed from it" project. The parts were made available by Paul Francis who once worked under license to make 1:1 Terminator endoskeletons. The parts for an arm were sold to RPF member Tommin who did a great job of assembling it, who also made some adjustments and made a few customizations to make it more accurate. This assembled replica was then sold to RPF member Lord of the Props, who then sold it to me. All of this was almost ten years ago, and it has been sitting around all this time, unpainted. I decided to get this painted so I could remove it from my "to-do" list. I used ALCLAD Chrome, but it came out more like brushed aluminum. To give it a truly great paintjob I would have had to take it apart, and I really didn't want to risk damaging it, so I painted it fully assembled!

arm4.jpgarm6.jpg

Building a TIE Fighter to go with my Hasbro X Wing Toy conversion. Got a Force Awakens Tie and going to scratch build new bigger wings and then paint the TIE in ANH colours.
IMG_2203.JPGIMG_2877.JPGIMG_2892.JPGIMG_2891.JPG

The work in this thread is epic.
So here is my humble efforts.

These parts are thermoformed from 4.5mm ABS. Unlike the more traditional vacuum forming, I have used a vacuum blanket (3mm thick silicone sheet) to make the seal. As a result, my material does not lose thickness during the forming process because the rubber sheet is stretched, not my plastic.
92d6a6cc3d5e2e8469269e8ee2affb0a.jpg
e2203baeacad7d00952c05cdf9117c08.jpg
31e409e259f2076c6ab88515a6f70ea9.jpg
bcf50d93330e2e8ce45371361d4c0251.jpg

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

I don't have a work bench, I have three. The one in my barn has become a storage area, until I get the electricity fixed out there.

The one in my house has various works in progress, from a 3d printed Anakin saber hilt, bio-mechanical mask that may evolve into a full helmet, EVA foam prototypes for bracers, greaves and chest armor. A nearly complete set of custom Mandalorian gauntlets, a hard hat and 5 gallon bucket Mandalorian helmet, a Snow trooper helmet, and a chaotic mess of greeblies, tools and random electronics. Also included in this mess I include my GNK droid build.

Currently I have everything on hold because I just got the kit for a PipBoy 3000, which I need to sand, assemble, paint and weather for my stepsons birthday next month.

My work bench at the J-O-B has parts for a saber staff, a Darkhawk style Raptor amulet, and just recently finished (aside from clean up and weathering) a custom saber, Vader inspired, Heiland flash handle.

Future plans include a Shoretrooper helmet, display stand for my collection of Disney Infinity characters, display shelf for my kids and stuff the wife wants me to make.

Moved my work bench outside on top of the pool table as the weather warms up.........never made anything out of EVA form, always resin and scratch building.....so thought I'd try a Dredd helmet...it's really enjoyable stuff to work with as it's super fast to put it together...I built a Dredd helmet from resin, rondo and bondo and it took months!!....this in a few hours so far...!!..............e11 is getting a new colour paint job and the Hasbro Hero X Wing is getting a cockpit

IMG_3158.JPGIMG_3157.JPGIMG_3155.JPG

^ Nice!

Arte (were) those nixie tubes used for build? (thought I saw some on the desk?)

cracked open for the housing?

nice project! Light it up.. and add audio! :)

^ Nice!

Arte (were) those nixie tubes used for build? (thought I saw some on the desk?)

cracked open for the housing?

nice project! Light it up.. and add audio! :)

Thanks. Nah I kept the glass tubes for a future steampunk project and just used the plastic tubes that came with the kit. Meant I could do my own custom internals from a pile of watch parts. Which was my favourite part of the build.

Ha ha lights and sounds... I'll save that for when I make it in metal one day! Lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back