DIY domed spiderman lenses

krayzielilsmoki

I purchased some spiderman lenses 2nd hand and later realized that I really wanted that domed look, so I got some frames from tjack and tried to make my own.
Here is how that went.

On the right are the flat lenses that I purchased off another member here, and on the left are my new DIY domed lenses

I used a clear 2 liter plastic soda bottle. I went to Dollar General and bought some 2 liter and 3 liter soda so I can try and get a nice curve (less than $1 per bottle of soda). I ended up using the 2 liter bottle and I cut out the top curved portion to use as my lens material

Next I trimmed it down to fit my lenses and marked the edge with a marker

Next I took a ball point pen and started tracing the line that I marked. I went over it many times to dent it. This will curve the plastic up and make it easier to glue on to the frames.

you can see how the edge now curves up, all I did was go over it many times with a pen. You can use anything else as long as it is not too sharp to cut through the plastic, all we are trying to do here is crease it.

If you do the same thing to the lip you can get it more flat which makes it easier to glue to the frames later. I should have spent more time on this... maybe next time.

Next I fitted them onto my face shell

I had my brother cut out small circles in vinyl to stick over this. Since you probably dont have a vinyl cutter at your disposal you may want to contact a sign shop and get small sheets of this material. Basically it is white vinyl that they stick on windows, it comes pre cut with the holes in it.

and the mock up

This is how they look attached to the frames with hot glue

Hot glue is not the best thing to use here because the plastic is pretty rigid and hot glue will not hold as strong as it needs. I will need to find another adhesive to permanently attach them.

Here it is next to the flat lenses again

Hope this helps others do something similar.
I may re do it since now I know what to expect, and since the material cost is less than $1

Let me know if you have any questions, Ill do my best to answer them.

I feel like a total dummy. I did the same thing a while ago but with the lower cylindrical part of the bottle. Somehow didn't think to use the upper compound curve part for a domed lens. It works surprisingly well though. Good tutorial.

Great tutorial! I've been thinking of using this method on my own, but seeing as how you pulled it off great, then I will for sure be using this method for my lenses.

How did you apply the vynil so smoothly? I keep getting curves on mine.

Heat Gun my brothah!
when youre applying the vinyl over the curves of the lens, have a heat gun facing upwards on its backside blowing strait up. when youre ready to start applying the vinyl start from the center of your lens and move your applicator (foam squeegee or thumb) in a circular pattern from the center out. when you get to the curves, give the vinyl a quick blast of heat about 12 inches above the heat gun. itll make the vinyl conform to the curve. continue to smooth it out until youve got all the curves done then one last blast of heat to set the vinyl or else it will start to peel up on you once it cools down.
I'll be posting a video of this method when i get to my Mangaverse lenses. Hope that helps!

Source: Sign guy since knee high to a grass hopper

I finally attached the magnets and tried them on. Here is what it all looks like on the shell and mask.

Let me know what you guys think!
I think Im just about ready for Megacon.

Sorry for finding this post after a few years, but I love this instructional... my question is this - what size vinyl mesh was it? I may do this same approach.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back