Han Solo in Carbonite: A novice build

Looking good mate. I did exactly the same thing with the alumium and it gives it great contrast.

Thank you. I'm glad to hear that about the aluminum. I'm doing an experiment tonight with JB Weld to see if it will sufficiently hold the aluminum sheet to the resin panels. It's hardening as I type this so we will see if it is going to work. I drilled a few holes in the aluminum so the JBW could squirt through and anchor on both sides. I think I may need to come up with a different plan for the other 7 panels because it took quite a bit of epoxy.

Thank you. I'm glad to hear that about the aluminum. I'm doing an experiment tonight with JB Weld to see if it will sufficiently hold the aluminum sheet to the resin panels. It's hardening as I type this so we will see if it is going to work. I drilled a few holes in the aluminum so the JBW could squirt through and anchor on both sides. I think I may need to come up with a different plan for the other 7 panels because it took quite a bit of epoxy.

Mate I find JB Weld to be a bit of a hit and miss with some applications. By far the easiest method and I found glued mine perfectly is 'Liquid nails'. I found liquid nails to be my friend throughout my HIC and R2 build. Just remember you dont need much because u dont want it squirting out where u can see it and just put a lil weight on it while it dries.

Once dried you can add more liquid nails around the edges to fill any gaps if you want.

Attachments

• IMG_4123.JPG
    IMG_4123.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Mate I find JB Weld to be a bit of a hit and miss with some applications. By far the easiest method and I found glued mine perfectly is 'Liquid nails'. I found liquid nails to be my friend throughout my HIC and R2 build. Just remember you dont need much because u dont want it squirting out where u can see it and just put a lil weight on it while it dries.

Once dried you can add more liquid nails around the edges to fill any gaps if you want.

Great tip! I happen to have a spare tube of liquid nails left over from when I glued Han to the front panel. I'm going to go that route then and use the liquid nails for the rest of the panels. Thanks again! Your panels look fantastic, by the way.

Thanks to Joshimus for the Liquid Nails tip. I've now used it on 3 panels and it's working out great. 5 more panels to go!

Thanks to Joshimus for the Liquid Nails tip. I've now used it on 3 panels and it's working out great. 5 more panels to go!

No problem QCWolf...liquid nails is like LIQUID GOLD ;)

I just used it yesterday to glue my R2 aluminum outer and inner domes together along with all R2's pie panels.

No problem QCWolf...liquid nails is like LIQUID GOLD ;)

I just used it yesterday to glue my R2 aluminum outer and inner domes together along with all R2's pie panels.

My wife actually said to me the other day, "Honey, I would like to have an R2-D2 in the house." I was stunned. I barely got approval to hang Han Solo on the wall of my home office! I think I know what my next project will be.

I got a package in the mail today and it was my 2.75 inch drawer pull handles for my hero panel. They're 98% correct. I'd say 100% but the outside diameter of the stubs is about 1/32 too big. It's such a small variance that no one but me will ever notice. The screws that the handles came with have a head that's way too wide to fit nicely behind the panel. There are two different lengths of screws, so I screwed each size into the handle with a little thread locker and then used a Dremel to cut off the head.

20150403_045418000_iOS.jpg

This is just a test fit and I'll glue the handles in place later, but they fit like a glove and will be very solid in the end.

20150403_045447000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
holy mother of god... this is AWESOME!!!!!!
:cool

That's quite the praise! Thanks so much! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Those handles look terrific! Are they modern-day, currently-available hardware?

They are currently available. When I get home I'll check the packing list and provide the information. I can't remember the company off the top of my head. They were about $4 per handle.

Those handles look terrific! Are they modern-day, currently-available hardware?

I can't find the packing list but here is the package the handles came in. I originally did a search for "2.75 Inch Wire Drawer Pull" and ended up with these folks:
20150404_042028000_iOS.jpg20150404_042036000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the same ones, fantastic for the price and accuracy.

I can't find the packing list but here is the package the handles came in. I originally did a search for "2.75 Inch Wire Drawer Pull" and ended up with these folks:
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w563/QCWolf/Photo Apr 03 9 20 28 PM_zpscsoeeagl.jpg
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w563/QCWolf/Photo Apr 03 9 20 38 PM_zpsfufbkqga.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I bought the same ones, fantastic for the price and accuracy.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w563/QCWolf/Photo Apr 03 9 20 28 PM_zpscsoeeagl.jpg
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w563/QCWolf/Photo Apr 03 9 20 38 PM_zpsfufbkqga.jpg

I ended up not liking the aluminum sheeting I used as a backing for the panels. It was too thick, it creased easily, it dented easily, it scratched easily and it didn't look right at all. So I scrapped it. I yanked every single one out and started over. It was easy to remove because I had been experimenting with various forms of adhesive. I tried Liquid Nails. I tried E6000. I tried JB Weld. Aside from the JB Weld, the adhesives peeled away from both the aluminum and the resin with ease. I think I was using the wrong kind of Liquid Nails to begin with.

I started over with a roll of aluminum flashing I found at the hardware store. Not only was it half the price, it was WAY easier to work with and it is very hard to scratch. The finish is superior to the other aluminum I was using and I'm much happier now. I decided to try LocTite superglue to stick the aluminum in place. I cut out my shape, ran a bead of LocTite around the inside of the panels and placed the aluminum sheet inside. I placed a few cans of spray paint on top to weigh it down as it hardened. I was amazed at the results. It made a solid bond with no fogging on the aluminum and dried very quickly. For me, the LocTite worked better than the others I had tried. I think my problem with the Liquid Nails is that I didn't give it enough time to fully harden because it takes longer to cure on non-porous surfaces like metal and plastic. The superglue worked well with my impatient nature.

20150401_013453000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
3M makes a brushed metal vinyl (steel, Alum, Titanium, etc)
The sign company I worked at used to use it.

They sell 12"x60" pieces on Amazon.
Apparently it's quite popular in auto detailing.

It can be layed of any smooth backing of your choice.

3M makes a brushed metal vinyl (steel, Alum, Titanium, etc)
The sign company I worked at used to use it.

They sell 12"x60" pieces on Amazon.
Apparently it's quite popular in auto detailing.

It can be layed of any smooth backing of your choice.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I'll be on the lookout for that.

Love this. Now I need to talk my husband into giving me the OK to build one...

What I told my wife: "It's not THAT big. Plus, it won't take up any floor space because it will be hanging on the wall!"
Not taking up floor space is what sold her.

I tried to convince my wife to let me build this, didn't go as smoothly for me though :) great work so far, I love it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back