Han Solo in Carbonite: A novice build

Here are a couple of closeups of the weathering:
20150326_000604000_iOS.jpg20150326_000551000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Looks better than the sideshow HIC

Wow! Thanks so much! That makes me feel really good about my efforts. I'm so pumped for the weekend because now I get to begin prepping the side panels. It also gives me an excuse to make a Home Depot run. Rustoleum has a color called "Carbon Mist" that I'd love to try. Ha!

You're welcome. The weathering is a very difficult balance of colors. Personally, I always liked a slight copper/bronze mist to it. I always felt like the Carbonite sound have a slightly warmer tone to it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

So I did this to mine:

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 456818

That is very cool Jedifyfe! I like that look much better. Do you have a paint list that you would be willing to share?

You're welcome. The weathering is a very difficult balance of colors. Personally, I always liked a slight copper/bronze mist to it. I always felt like the Carbonite sound have a slightly warmer tone to it.

View attachment 456816View attachment 456817

So I did this to mine:

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 456818

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work sir. I have loved your build! In fact you have inspired me to pull my 1/4 done Solo in Carbonite out of the basement and get that sucker done! Thanks for the posts.

I started prepping my side panels today. MonCal makes a great cast and I'm very pleased with his product. Here are before and after pics. I just trimmed the flashing and did a little sanding. One down, seven more to go.

20150329_041958000_iOS.jpg20150329_042025000_iOS.jpg20150329_042037000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
And to think my parents might have driven in a Volvo with the correct panels for years ... what type/kind of Volvo were stripped to get these for the HIC?

Chaim

This thread is very informative and inspiring. I've been collecting pieces and hoping to start building this summer. Need to get the panels and electronics.

Great work.

This thread is very informative and inspiring. I've been collecting pieces and hoping to start building this summer. Need to get the panels and electronics.

Great work.

Thank you very much! I spent A LOT of time lurking and researching other HIC build threads before embarking on my own. I've taken a little bit from each one and used what I liked and avoided what I didn't. Even after seeing what everyone else has done, I'm still finding that there is a lot of trial and error on my part. I figure that I can't really mess it up too bad. If I do, I'll just paint over it.

Keep watching, there's more to come.

I finished prepping the side panels this evening. I got a little obsessive about getting them just right. I spent about a half hour on each one trimming flashing and evening out uneven surfaces with only my patience and an Exacto Knife. The casts have very few defects with only a few stray air bubbles here and there. I elected not to fill these for two reasons; tiredness and laziness. Also, they add a bit of "weathered charm" to the overall look of each panel. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Here they are all prepped and pretty:
20150331_013551000_iOS.jpg20150331_013613000_iOS.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After handling them it felt like there was a little bit of mold release residue on the panels so I gave them a bath. Now they are all cleaned and ready for paint tomorrow:
20150331_015514000_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20150326_000604000_iOS.jpg
    20150326_000604000_iOS.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Wow ... then I could have collected several dash panels from 4 Volvo's altogether ... I'm still driving my third Volvo 340 GL from 1990 ... though I doubt it contains the screen-accurate panel :wacko

Chaim

I had the day off today and was able to make some progress on the side panels. I liked what Nils did with his panels by painting them a darker color rather than the traditional shiny metallic. I decided to go this route and went with a much darker tone. I know it's not screen accurate, but I'm building this strictly for my pleasure and I am making it the way I want. Therefore, I decided to try a color called "Oil Rubbed Bronze". In my opinion, it has this neat dark grey/ brown hue with a metallic sheen to it. I think it looks kind of cool and it will allow the shiny greeblies to pop. I also drilled out all 64 screw holes. The "filled in" look was bothering me.
20150331_162105000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I also liked what Darth Whitey did with the aluminum flashing as a backing. I went to Home Depot but couldn't find any flashing so I bought a 0.20 sheet of aluminum and cut out 8 pieces. I made 8 full size backs with the intent to cut down the size on the Hero Panel. They look kinda messy by themselves, but once they are glued in place, they should look pretty snazzy.

20150401_010852000_iOS.jpg20150401_013317000_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20150401_013453000_iOS.jpg
    20150401_013453000_iOS.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back