Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I loved Mara Jade and the original Thrawn Trilogy but I don't think this will amount to anything. Even though Thrawn was reworked to be in the new canon, I don't see a way for them to really work Mara Jade into the new story without causing all kinds of story problems. Even if they shifted her to fit into the new canon, it likely wouldn't work. The basis of her character was intrinsically tied to Luke and the Emperor and since both are dead then there really wouldn't be a point to bringing her into the story now.

Whatever happened to Mon Mothma? She never figured into the new canon after ROTJ? The whole thing is a mess anyway.

Mon Mothma is a central character in the Aftermath trilogy. She was the first leader of the New Republic. She retired after the Battle of Jakku. Most recent activity we know is her speaking out in support of Leia after Vader being Leia's dad went public. That was just a few years prior to TFA.

No, nothing in the films, but that all is part of the new post-ROTJ canon. I have a feeling more of that period is going to get filled in with at least the next animated series, if not the upcoming live-action series, as well.

Can't say I was ever a Mara Jade fan. This is a nothing rumor.

http://clubjade.net/so-about-that-one-episode-ix-rumor/

Amen to that.

I loved Mara Jade and the original Thrawn Trilogy but I don't think this will amount to anything. Even though Thrawn was reworked to be in the new canon, I don't see a way for them to really work Mara Jade into the new story without causing all kinds of story problems. Even if they shifted her to fit into the new canon, it likely wouldn't work. The basis of her character was intrinsically tied to Luke and the Emperor and since both are dead then there really wouldn't be a point to bringing her into the story now.
I agree, if they really did want to steer in a new direction they should not bring characters strongly anchored to the old setting. I never watched the Rebels so I don't know how similar that Thrawn is to the old-EU one. They might however take the character as a template much like Jan Ors, and create a new character called Morra Jaido or something...:)

Or it might be Mara. She might figure in the new animated or live-action series, or be part of the story for a Battlefront add-on. Potentially reworked to better fit the new stuff that's come out, maybe even having run-ins with Luke... But that age range would put the character solidly in the middle of the "unknown region" between ROTJ and TFA. Not IX.

Well Lucas seriously considered granting Jedis that had become one with the force the ability to re-materialize. I believe he toyed with having either Obi-wan and/or Yoda do so in ROTJ to help Luke with the Emperor. Here's hoping JJ at least considers exploring this option to allow Luke to return in the flesh for some actual action and excitement. I would normally abhor such extreme plot devices, but in this case it presents a viable option for allowing Luke to have the exit he deserves.

When it was 12 parts (and possibly 9 - the 9 from the 70s/80s not the 7-9 we got), the grand finale was to have obi wan cross back over to help defeat the emperor.

Well Lucas seriously considered granting Jedis that had become one with the force the ability to re-materialize. I believe he toyed with having either Obi-wan and/or Yoda do so in ROTJ to help Luke with the Emperor. Here's hoping JJ at least considers exploring this option to allow Luke to return in the flesh for some actual action and excitement. I would normally abhor such extreme plot devices, but in this case it presents a viable option for allowing Luke to have the exit he deserves.

Just no.
He signed on for the class of '77 reunion and Luke Skywalker got relegated to one scene at the end of VII. Then he came back for VIII only for some ZERO SWIQ HACK to completely re-write his character. If he is not under contract, I really hope he doesn't return only to get F'd over for the third time. It'll just be embarrassing.
I get the impression with Mark that he is passionate about SW and Luke Skywalker. Unlike most actors, he often refers to his character as 'me' or 'I' and IMO what they do to one they do to the other. Ignore him. Disrespect him. Belittle him.

Besides all that, such a scenario would not only detract from the all powerful Mary Sue...I mean Rey but would also indicate acknowledgement of TLJ's failings and Diseaseny/LFL/KK are not going to admit that.
They had the opportunity to create some amazing new SW and they chose not to take it. Go figure!

Just no.
He signed on for the class of '77 reunion and Luke Skywalker got relegated to one scene at the end of VII. Then he came back for VIII only for some ZERO SWIQ HACK to completely re-write his character. If he is not under contract, I really hope he doesn't return only to get F'd over for the third time. It'll just be embarrassing.
I get the impression with Mark that he is passionate about SW and Luke Skywalker. Unlike most actors, he often refers to his character as 'me' or 'I' and IMO what they do to one they do to the other. Ignore him. Disrespect him. Belittle him.

Besides all that, such a scenario would not only detract from the all powerful Mary Sue...I mean Rey but would also indicate acknowledgement of TLJ's failings and Diseaseny/LFL/KK are not going to admit that.
They had the opportunity to create some amazing new SW and they chose not to take it. Go figure!

giphy.gif

Just no.

Believe me, there's a part of me that feels Mark Hamill should display two middle fingers to Lucasfilm if they try to get him back.

I do agree with the part about Rey. It's like they couldn't have him back as a confident, wise, and skilled Jedi Master simply because it WOULD have been so awesome to see that it would have taken away from this new hero they're pushing in Rey. Letting Luke be Luke, to them, would mean her looking less awesome, despite the fact that she'd been granted god-like force powers overnight.

And remember they only SOMEWHAT let Han be Han, but only a reverted scoundrel-like mockery of himself from an earlier time. If Han showed up as an aged but wiser version of himself, as Harrison Ford looked in Ender's Game (which is how I pictured Han would mature to), then Rey wouldn't be so awesome. So they put Han's old outfit on him, he grew out his hair into a matted tangle, he left Leia, and returned to smuggling in his SEVENTIES. It's not just one of our beloved characters that the ST has destroyed. It's two.

That's my guess... My thought is they are going to try to correct course

If they were going to cast Mara Jade , I highly doubt that they would call the casting part Mara. If anything it's just another trick to try to get the fans interested again.
I'm also not yet convinced that they will try to correct course. So far Lucasfilm has been implying that the fans who didn't like TLJ are the the ones who are wrong and that they wouldn't change a thing. So until they start hinting otherwise, I'm assuming E9 is going to continue the crap fest.

...So far Lucasfilm has been implying that the fans who didn't like TLJ are the the ones who are wrong and that they wouldn't change a thing. So until they start hinting otherwise, I'm assuming E9 is going to continue the crap fest.

That's funny! The "Wrong" ones are the people who will or will not open their wallets going forward. If they want to insult 1/3rd of their fan base that's fine with me, but money talks. Let's see how long that lasts.

What a shame...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back