Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

KK is like:
in-time-you-will-call-me-master.jpg

She is also responsible for the now infamous Leia Poppins travesty. Even Rian Johnson couldnt come up with such rubbish, that`s saying something. :facepalm

Last edited:

Quite interesting. Although reading these articles it very much seems to me that it was Rian. KK wanted to see Leia using the force, which I think is a completely fair enough thing, it was RJ's decision to make her float around. I feel like a broken record but damn this movie is the prime example of "the original concept was okay on paper and it was executed in the worst way possible".

Quite interesting. Although reading these articles it very much seems to me that it was Rian. KK wanted to see Leia using the force, which I think is a completely fair enough thing, it was RJ's decision to make her float around. I feel like a broken record but damn this movie is the prime example of "the original concept was okay on paper and it was executed in the worst way possible".

I only said she was responsible for it not that she wrote it, although its not to much of a stretch to think she may have, being around the business for so long, she may consider herself more than capable and she doesnt seem the type to have just a simple idea without broader implacations. Its something that would never be spoken of openly anyway. Would Johnson have even considered having Leia show any force powers without Kennedy`s insistence of it?

I would have been fine with Leia using some Force powers as long as it was subtle. Given what had been established in TFA Leia clearly went on to keep fighting in the Rebellion and sent Ben off to train with Luke, suggesting that she never followed the Jedi path. Having her survive being blasted out of the bridge of a ship, float for several minutes in the vacuum of space, and then use the Force to float back into the ship and SURVIVE all of that without so much as a scratch?

I suspend my disbelief for Star Wars but that was just too far out there even for this series and more for the fact that there was nothing to even suggest that she had the ability to do that. If she was that powerful then why not use an ability like that for combat against the First Order? Why bother trying to find Luke at all? And it made Luke's whole schtick at the end of the movie solidify his place as a coward by not showing up in person to correct his mistake.

What a disservice to her character. Leia and Carrie Fisher deserved better than that. Laura Dern could have been used better too. She is a very talented actress and could have easily been appointed the new leader of the Resistance without the whole mutiny subplot and subsequent suicide mission.

Having Ackbar die off screen was pointless too. They just mention it in passing with barely a pause. Why not just let him live if they were going to do that?

I'm still coming to grips with how much of a slap in the face this movie is to EVERY STAR WARS FILM THAT CAME BEFORE IT.

I've mentioned how little expectation there is for Rey and Kylo in 9. How much less is there for all of the other characters to do? Finn and Rose are going to fall in love. Poe will be the leader of the Resistance and who the hell else is left? A few techs and maybe a foot soldier or two? They have like 20 people left? You might as well disband and give up at that point.

The First Order has about 10 ships left? It was so hard to keep track of how many people were left on either side of the conflict.

And the worst thing about all of this is I DON'T ****ING CARE ABOUT ANY OF THEM ANY MORE!

I just can't fathom that they would even allow ANY director to not have to follow SOME sort of outline for how the story was going to play out. At least the broad strokes. You mean to tell me that Disney spent 4 BILLION dollars and didn't force Lucasfilm to even have a plan of how they were going to earn their money back? Even from a business perspective that's idiotic.

Sadly even he's been relegated to being covered with a rag and kept in the corner. Literally that was almost his entire screen time in TFA. Was he even in TLJ other than showing Luke the hologram of Leia?

Sadly even he's been relegated to being covered with a rag and kept in the corner.

That sums up the mindset of the sequel trilogy so far. The legacy of 1-6 Are something to be ashamed of. I think the main reason R1 respected 1-6 was because of Gareth Edwards, and even the reshoots couldn't get rid of that. I saw his panel at Celebration 2015. Every other sentence was about George Lucas. You wouldn't know it from the weird supplemental material on the blu-ray. He looked like he had been clubbed over the head.

Last edited:
KK is putting her own agenda before Star Wars,alas SW fans are paying the price as are the characters we grew up with.I agree with most that the GOT directors won’t do much,at least RJ set the bar so low it will be hard to F up worse than him.Again SW will pay the price.

Sadly even he's been relegated to being covered with a rag and kept in the corner. Literally that was almost his entire screen time in TFA. Was he even in TLJ other than showing Luke the hologram of Leia?

The more he's in the corner, the less chance he'll be stripped for parts and sacrificed for Finn and Rose's [insert contrived plot device here].

Hopefully.

Last edited:
I would have been fine with Leia using some Force powers as long as it was subtle. Given what had been established in TFA Leia clearly went on to keep fighting in the Rebellion and sent Ben off to train with Luke, suggesting that she never followed the Jedi path. Having her survive being blasted out of the bridge of a ship, float for several minutes in the vacuum of space, and then use the Force to float back into the ship and SURVIVE all of that without so much as a scratch?

I suspend my disbelief for Star Wars but that was just too far out there even for this series and more for the fact that there was nothing to even suggest that she had the ability to do that. If she was that powerful then why not use an ability like that for combat against the First Order? Why bother trying to find Luke at all? And it made Luke's whole schtick at the end of the movie solidify his place as a coward by not showing up in person to correct his mistake.

What a disservice to her character. Leia and Carrie Fisher deserved better than that. Laura Dern could have been used better too. She is a very talented actress and could have easily been appointed the new leader of the Resistance without the whole mutiny subplot and subsequent suicide mission.

Having Ackbar die off screen was pointless too. They just mention it in passing with barely a pause. Why not just let him live if they were going to do that?

I'm still coming to grips with how much of a slap in the face this movie is to EVERY STAR WARS FILM THAT CAME BEFORE IT.

I've mentioned how little expectation there is for Rey and Kylo in 9. How much less is there for all of the other characters to do? Finn and Rose are going to fall in love. Poe will be the leader of the Resistance and who the hell else is left? A few techs and maybe a foot soldier or two? They have like 20 people left? You might as well disband and give up at that point.

The First Order has about 10 ships left? It was so hard to keep track of how many people were left on either side of the conflict.

And the worst thing about all of this is I DON'T ****ING CARE ABOUT ANY OF THEM ANY MORE!

I just can't fathom that they would even allow ANY director to not have to follow SOME sort of outline for how the story was going to play out. At least the broad strokes. You mean to tell me that Disney spent 4 BILLION dollars and didn't force Lucasfilm to even have a plan of how they were going to earn their money back? Even from a business perspective that's idiotic.

Totally agree.
I think us fans need to vote with our feet and wallets. Don't buy TLJ when it comes out and don't blindly consume the latest SW product.

That was gonna be my question. Who, here, is actually going to buy TLJ on BD/DVD? Personally, I have no inclination to watch it again and I feel sure I will not be rushing to the shops on release day as I have in the past.
Regardless of sending a message to Disney/LFL, I just don’t wanna own this movie. There’s nothing within it for me anymore.
Im not a fan of the PT but I own them on DVD. They are bad movies but still visually immerse me in the world of SW. The ST so far leaves me feeling empty. The more I think of it, the only thing I have enjoyed (apart from the anticipation) is the Falcon chase from TFA and even that is soiled by the ace pilot:facepalm pulling moves like Solo.
I’m just gonna sit here and cuddle the OT close to my chest :cry

Thinking of that whole scene the biggest problem is that it was written and shot in a particular way and a shoehorned explanation is tacked on (she force-created a sealant layer around her to protect from space, etc). It reminds me a lot of Palps' face melting in ROTS. When people started to bring up that there is no logic in that because no-one else's face got melted from lightnings it was quickly explained that he was in fact this hideous looking monster and he force-covered his face and it was the disguise that was gone at that point (which just sounds stupid to me). Problem is neither movies do a god job in actually explaining this and we're just left with an awkward looking scene that doesn't feel right.

Honestly I'd be okay with the old ones not really being part. As long as there's good new stuff coming and the old bits are not totally screwed up I'm fine if the old stuff only gets mentioned. Hell, the parts of all 3 Disney SW movies I like the best are the first 30-40 minutes of TFA until Han and Chewie show up and the final scene with Rey, Finn and Ren.

That was gonna be my question. Who, here, is actually going to buy TLJ on BD/DVD? Personally, I have no inclination to watch it again and I feel sure I will not be rushing to the shops on release day as I have in the past.
Regardless of sending a message to Disney/LFL, I just don’t wanna own this movie. There’s nothing within it for me anymore.
Im not a fan of the PT but I own them on DVD. They are bad movies but still visually immerse me in the world of SW. The ST so far leaves me feeling empty. The more I think of it, the only thing I have enjoyed (apart from the anticipation) is the Falcon chase from TFA and even that is soiled by the ace pilot:facepalm pulling moves like Solo.
I’m just gonna sit here and cuddle the OT close to my chest :cry

Well my son really enjoyed it in the theater and i've never not owned a Star Wars movie. I might not be getting the physical medium, but will at least be getting the digital 4K on Vudu early release. It wasn't my favorite Star Wars film, but I didn't hate it. It won't be watched with as much frequency as some of the other films, but I'm not boycotting it entirely.

I knew as soon as I walked out of the theater that I wouldn't be buying it. I saw it once and that was enough.

After owning multiple versions of the OT on several formats the last version I bought was the theatrical unaltered DVD set that was transferred from the laser disc. Until they release a properly restored bluray or 4K version I have no desire to own a butchered edition, no matter how good the picture/sound quality is and the fan edits are of no interest to me.

I refuse to give over my hard earned money for a subpar product and I only buy movies I know I will watch over and over. TLJ is not something I have any desire to watch again. I don't even own Rogue One and I have no interest in owning it. I only saw it once.

I will see episode 9, if only to see how they attempt to clean up the disaster that Rian Johnson created. I'm not even sure I care enough to see it opening night. After that it'll just be a crap shoot if I see the other movies at all.

Let's face it, the magic is gone. It's time for me to move on to other things. I'll always have the OT and my memories. I can't let the future of the franchise destroy my love for those films.

I think it's time that fans stop making excuses for being given a raw deal and just vote with your wallets. It'll be the ONLY thing that will get Lucasfilm's attention. It's like eating regularly at a restaurant where more than half the time you get food poisoning. For the few times where the food is decent, is it worth the risk of barfing it up on the table and the weeks of recovery?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back