Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I knew as soon as I walked out of the theater that I wouldn't be buying it. I saw it once and that was enough.

After owning multiple versions of the OT on several formats the last version I bought was the theatrical unaltered DVD set that was transferred from the laser disc. Until they release a properly restored bluray or 4K version I have no desire to own a butchered edition, no matter how good the picture/sound quality is and the fan edits are of no interest to me.

I refuse to give over my hard earned money for a subpar product and I only buy movies I know I will watch over and over. TLJ is not something I have any desire to watch again. I don't even own Rogue One and I have no interest in owning it. I only saw it once.

I will see episode 9, if only to see how they attempt to clean up the disaster that Rian Johnson created. I'm not even sure I care enough to see it opening night. After that it'll just be a crap shoot if I see the other movies at all.

Let's face it, the magic is gone. It's time for me to move on to other things. I'll always have the OT and my memories. I can't let the future of the franchise destroy my love for those films.

I think it's time that fans stop making excuses for being given a raw deal and just vote with your wallets. It'll be the ONLY thing that will get Lucasfilm's attention. It's like eating regularly at a restaurant where more than half the time you get food poisoning. For the few times where the food is decent, is it worth the risk of barfing it up on the table and the weeks of recovery?
give-that-man-a-round-of-applause.jpg

...I Having her survive being blasted out of the bridge of a ship, float for several minutes in the vacuum of space, and then use the Force to float back into the ship and SURVIVE all of that without so much as a scratch?...

One of the things I loved so much about Ben in TFA was his vulnerability. For all of his power, you could get to him both emotionally AND physically. He was damaged on a few levels, by movie's end.

Having a character - even a beloved heroine - seem essentially indestructible, is such a bad look. You can't relate to it on a visceral level, and if there's no precedent for it, it just looks so lazy and so terrible. Reflecting on it now, I'm hurting just thinking about how terrible it was. After so many attempts - in, what, just the first 20 or 30 minutes? - of taking take a deep breath and rebooting my senses (surely now that Ben has this cool TIE and he's having this emotional tipping point with mom, it will all get better...), and within seconds we get...THAT. :cry

I refuse to give over my hard earned money for a subpar product and I only buy movies I know I will watch over and over. TLJ is not something I have any desire to watch again. I don't even own Rogue One and I have no interest in owning it. I only saw it once.

If you are a salaried employee you could always justify and say you used combined money earned while on bathroom breaks. If you put it that way, you are spending a portion of your money that was attributed to not working hard at all, except getting that troublesome Monday deuce out.

If you are a salaried employee you could always justify and say you used combined money earned while on bathroom breaks. If you put it that way, you are spending a portion of your money that was attributed to not working hard at all, except getting that troublesome Monday deuce out.

I'm dying over here! These new films aren't even worth my poop money.

I'm not begrudging anyone who likes the movies and wants to see them, own them and read the novelizations. I speak for myself when I am expressing my distaste for the direction the series is going and it's just my way to vent my frustration and disappointment.

I'm not begrudging anyone who likes the movies and wants to see them, own them and read the novelizations. I speak for myself when I am expressing my distaste for the direction the series is going and it's just my way to vent my frustration and disappointment.

Agreed. I dont own anything from the Disney Star Wars and the way things are going thats not going to change. I have no desire to ever see TLJ again in any format and have no plans to fork out any money to see Solo or Ep Nein. The only thing that will affect any change with Disney is their all to precious bottom line and from what I`ve seen online there is a lot of people who feel the same.

Same.

No TLJ extras for me either. I'm pretty done with their current wave of SW. Rebels was a clear indication where the talent and vision are in Lucasfilm.

No solo, no nein. No blue ray or book either.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

You’re speaking for yourself but it definitely resonates with me. :cheers

The more I think about what I experienced watching TLJ movie, the more I hate it. I reject everything that happened or was said in this film as bull****, that is an insult to my intelligence. I refuse to even consider it anything more than the lazy writing of incompetent, ignorant and self righteous morons.

That being said, I never thought the day would come when I longed for the prequels over a current SW film. Never thought the day would come when I would not want to be at a SW film on opening night, ever again. That film left such a bad taste in my mouth, I put all my SW stuff into storage. Not a single item left out on display, even my armor.

**** you, Ruin Johnson!

I never thought I would ever get to that point either. It's telling when I look at the prequels with fondness. I mean they are still bad films, but at least they had a vision and I have good memories anticipating the release of each of them and debating with friends how they would play out.

One positive thing that TLJ did for me was to help motivate me to focus on the projects that mean the most to me and to move on from projects that were distracting. I sold off my entire autograph collection and thousands of dollars worth of props, costumes, and collectibles. While it used to be a badge of honor, being a lifelong fan doesn't mean a whole lot to me anymore.

After having spent so long getting fed crap movie after crap movie, Rian Johnson's episode was the final straw that just broke me. I give up Star Wars. You win. I don't want to play anymore. I'm taking my Original Trilogy and going home. You can keep doing what you're doing and ruin everything that made you special but I'm not going to sit here and pretend to like it.

The only reason why I even participate in threads like this is my way of coming to grips with the loss and finding some catharsis with other like minded fans.

I'm not at the final straw yet. IX will be the tale for me.

It's within the realm of possibility that IX redeems 8 to an extent. Not great odds, but still. I'm delusional in clinging to the hope that you can't fully judge part 2 without part 3. Problem is, that tends to happen when you have a coherent plan from the start which they do not seem to have.

I have to say, the end of Rebels helped me rebound a bit from the big blow that TLJ was. There's still hope, but maybe not in the main saga.

I never thought I would ever get to that point either. It's telling when I look at the prequels with fondness. I mean they are still bad films, but at least they had a vision and I have good memories anticipating the release of each of them and debating with friends how they would play out.

One positive thing that TLJ did for me was to help motivate me to focus on the projects that mean the most to me and to move on from projects that were distracting. I sold off my entire autograph collection and thousands of dollars worth of props, costumes, and collectibles. While it used to be a badge of honor, being a lifelong fan doesn't mean a whole lot to me anymore.

After having spent so long getting fed crap movie after crap movie, Rian Johnson's episode was the final straw that just broke me. I give up Star Wars. You win. I don't want to play anymore. I'm taking my Original Trilogy and going home. You can keep doing what you're doing and ruin everything that made you special but I'm not going to sit here and pretend to like it.

The only reason why I even participate in threads like this is my way of coming to grips with the loss and finding some catharsis with other like minded fans.

I hear you, you don't have to do this alone! :)
This thread needs to be re-named "TLJ survivors support group"!
I'm recovering by finally trying to finish my Luke ESB costume/ prop display - all other pieces sold off. Once that is done I'm signing out too!

I won't be buying it either. I wouldn't even download it. This will be the first StarWars movie I won't own in any shape. I just cannot stand TLJ and it's subpar writing. I've read better fan fiction then that convoluted garbage Rian Johnson put up on the screen.

-OWK

Exactly this. I keep coming back as it's my SW loss therapy. I certainly won't buy the DVD and will probably never watch it again. E9 needs to pull off a miracle to get me invested again.

I've been hearing now that there WAS a basic outline for this new trilogy that J.J. and Kasdan laid out but that Rian Johnson just discarded it in favor of his own script. I'm torn again because like the prequels I keep asking, what could have been? Even if it wasn't amazing, at least we would have had some overall arc for the story.

I'm just focusing my efforts on enjoying the OT as much as I did when I was a kid. A hard feat considering I've seen the films hundreds of times.

Then my goal is to finish off making costumes and props from those on my list and enjoying them like I would have when I was a kid.

Then I will focus my efforts on not trying to come up with ways for them to fix Star Wars, but to work on my own novel that has nothing to do with the series. In it I will likely use my frustration to focus my efforts on not making the same mistakes they did with Star Wars. I will try and make THEME and characters come first and structure a powerful plot that will support the two. Something most filmmakers don't seem to be capable of anymore.

THIS IS STAR WARS AT IT'S ABSOLUTE BEST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1qd0KGOv9Y

Last edited:
I've been hearing now that there WAS a basic outline for this new trilogy that J.J. and Kasdan laid out but that Rian Johnson just discarded it in favor of his own script. I'm torn again because like the prequels I keep asking, what could have been? Even if it wasn't amazing, at least we would have had some overall arc for the story.
The very idea that Rian would be allowed to write a middle trilogy movie from scratch with no outline is insane. 4 billion paid for SW and the reputation of the franchise riding on this sequel trilogy, and Disney and KK signed off on doing these movies piecemeal with no idea where they will end up? Just imagining Rian sitting at his computer saying "is Rey a robot? Is she a clone?" makes me queasy. It's artistic malpractice of the highest order. It's weird because Lucasfilm now has a reputation for being super hands on and they've fired four directors, so how could they drop the ball so far on this?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back