Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

It just seems like everything is politicised these days and God forbid you proclaim a dislike for anything or else you might get some dreaded label attached to you. The whole "If you have an issue with Rey you must be a misogynist!" That nonsense makes me sick. No, I'm not a misogynist or a sexist or racist or any other 'ist' for not liking a hollow, poorly written fictional character. LOL

I just don't want to be beaten over the head with social commentary in a Star Wars movie and be told I have to like it or else I'm a terrible person. That's what Rian Johnson's movie felt like.

His comment isn’t directed at you but there is an awful underbelly of fandom that is that bad.

I'm married with kids and left wing.
I liked Rey and Finn in TFA a lot, would have liked more well written female characters in that film too.
I now don't care about Rey and Finn and didn't give two hoots about Rose of Holdo because TLJ was such badly written and directed film.
End of.

also...you can't necessarily believe anything from a Hollywood director, JJ's talk is a PR spout for his own interests. He may have hated TLJ, may have loved it - you'll never ever know.

What a load of ****.

Does everything need to be politicized?

TLJ was hated because it was poorly written. It's the same nonsense that they tried with the Ghostbusters reboot. It was hated because it was a piece of **** movie and had nothing to do with the cast and everything to do with the script.

Making broad claims against people that they are sexist, racist, bigoted, homophobic or otherwise because they didn't like a movie is pure unfiltered bull****.

Are there racist, sexist and the like who have an agenda to try and politicize films, sure but to boldly claim that everyone who is critical of them is the same as those people needs to stop being so self-righteous and maybe take a creative writing course to learn how storytelling works.

I am so sick and ****ing tired of this nonsense being touted as being worthy of praise.

God forbid someone has a mind of their own and can think for themselves. Attacking your critics because they bring up valid points and accusing them of being misogynist is just plain wrong. If we can't even have an honest discussion about a ****ing movie without pointing fingers then it's no wonder politics are such a mess.

End of rant.

Anyone see any good movies lately?

Last edited:
Here’s about the only thing they could do to get me to see episode 9 at this point:

Episode 9 should start out with Luke waking up on Endor saying: “what an odd dream.” He walks out to meet young Han and Leia 3p0 and R2 And after a brief reunion they leave Endor and go their separate ways. Then cut to Luke as he looked in tlj... (just not a backstabbing scared weak worthless sack of ****?) have him seek out the island planet of his dreams... Rey actually shows up and hands him the lightsaber. After which there is no green milk to say the least....

Then the whole movie is what 8 should’ve been... Then episode 9 can be episode 10.

Easy fix. LOL!!!

I had no problem with Rey in TFA. In TLJ, however, it seems like she spent an awful lot of the film crying. Not exactly the picture of female empowerment, that.

Exactly. I liked Rey in TFA too. I liked that my 6 year old daughter had another cool, strong female hero to look up to but then TLJ happened.
I think movies and t.v. shows, comedies especially already have too many women talking down to men, belittling them, treating them like idiot children, etc. And TLJ had what, every female character treating the men like morons?

Every comedy out there has the hapless husbands who can't function without their beautiful brilliant wives. I don't want my little girl learning those lessons and learning that it's okay to treat people like that.

What a load of ****.

Does everything need to be politicized?

TLJ was hated because it was poorly written. It's the same nonsense that they tried with the Ghostbusters reboot. It was hated because it was a piece of **** movie and had nothing to do with the cast and everything to do with the script.

Making broad claims against people that they are sexist, racist, bigoted, homophobic or otherwise because they didn't like a movie is pure unfiltered bull****.

Are there racist, sexist and the like who have an agenda to try and politicize films, sure but to boldly claim that everyone who is critical of them is the same as those people needs to stop being so self-righteous and maybe take a creative writing course to learn how storytelling works.

I am so sick and ****ing tired of this nonsense being touted as being worthy of praise.

God forbid someone has a mind of their own and can think for themselves. Attacking your critics because they bring up valid points and accusing them of being misogynist is just plain wrong. If we can't even have an honest discussion about a ****ing movie without pointing fingers then it's no wonder politics are such a mess.

End of rant.

Anyone see any good movies lately?

But that’s not what JJ is saying or addressing. His comments are pretty measured and are very specically refering to a portion of fandom that doesn’t like the inclusion of women or different race characters into Star Wars, period. Not about how they are written or portrayed, these people are upset because they see diversity in and of itself as problematic. He’s not saying if you don’t like the character of Rey you are a misogynist or a racist if you don’t like Finn as wtitten, that’s an entirely separate. He’s pointing out some people don’t want any women or racial diversity in Star Wars.

Of course there are people who don't want that but it must be an infinitesimal portion of the fanbase and yet they keep going on about it.

I don’t know how involved you are with Star Wars social media but I have read some pretty vile comments thrown at people like Kelly Marie Tran that was about her ethnicity and not her character. I wish it were infinitesimal but I’m afraid it’s not.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back