Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Is that woman in the picture her? I'm confused, she doesn't look black to me. Or does she just identify as one?

Another pic of her

victoria-mahoney-star-wars.jpg

J

Ok. Usually, announcement of a director comes with list of previous work. 'The one who brought you .......... brings you ...........'
I can already see she is an African American Female just by looking.

Ok. Usually, announcement of a director comes with list of previous work. 'The one who brought you .......... brings you ...........'
I can already see she is an African American Female just by looking.

There was no official announcement, just a post on someone else Twitter page spilling the beans. In regards to her gender and ethnicity, 4 post above someone seemed challenged trying to identify her, so....

First let me say I think psab keel very eloquently summarized my thoughts on Rey and why I personally want to love her character, but just cannot quite get there. Very well put indeed.

I was going to say more, but as I wrote it and thought more about it, I just became frustrated because I am so damn disappointed.

Thank you so much! I really want to love her character too and I think Daisy Ridley has a lot of talent and charisma, but it's the writing that's the problem.

Isn't it amazing how Hollywood pats itself in the back all the time?

Her work/talent should be the focus, not her skin color. Unless there has been a major issue with racism or discrimination against people of color in the entertainment industry, then I don't see how this is groundbreaking news.

Her work/talent should be the focus, not her skin color. Unless there has been a major issue with racism or discrimination against people of color in the entertainment industry, then I don't see how this is groundbreaking news.

Depending on who you ask, there is ALWAYS a major issue with racism.

Hollywood should just release a movie called "Marxist Non-binary Otherkins of Color and the Oppression Olympics...in Space!" 99% RT score, $259.00 box office :lol

Anyway, I'm sure she'll do a fine job regardless of her color or gender.

I just worked on the pilot Redline she directed. She was great. But feel free to blame her if the movie sucks. First black stormtroopers and now this. /s
Why would anyone blame a second unit director? Given that most people probably don't even know what a second unit director is...

"Racism" or "discrimination," no, but representation, yes. That's why this stuff is newsworthy in the first place. I mean, it's dumb, it shouldn't be newsworthy. It shouldn't be an unusual thing to have a black, female 2nd unit director on a major franchise motion picture, or even as the director or producer or whatever.

But it is. It's unusual, and so when it happens, it's noteworthy.

I don't know if you watched Black Panther, but...I dunno, for me it was really instructive about what it feels like (kind of) to be on the margins. Not necessarily "marginalized," since that would imply an intentional decision to exclude or push me away, but rather just...not really the primary consideration. I described the experience I had as an audience member of Black Panther as being one where the movie was not "for" me, but was "available" to me. I wasn't the target audience. Certainly, I wasn't the bullseye of that target, anyway. They wanted my money, sure. They wanted me to enjoy the film, sure. But they weren't really concerned with making a film for me. The film was for another audience. It spoke to universal experiences and themes, sure, but it also spoke very specifically to experiences and themes and concerns that weren't mine.

A big, big part of that is because of who the director was and what the focus of the film was about. I suspect that if, for example, the Russo Bros. had made the Black Panther movie, it would've been terrific, very entertaining, and enjoyable for a very broad audience. But having Ryan Coogler direct it gave the film a different perspective, and one that likely wouldn't have happened if the Russo Bros. did it.

Film and storytelling are, I think, hugely important. Beyond the financial impact of the entertainment industry, telling and experiencing stories is a major way that we make sense of the world and our place in it as a species. There's simply a difference between telling a universally-accessible story, and telling a story that is specific to one experience, albeit generally accessible to other people's experience. Likewise, there's a difference between telling a story that you are personally familiar with, from your own experience and perspective, and telling stories from a perspective you haven't personally experienced. Part of why we see more of this stuff being highlighted is because it's important to bring different perspectives into the creative process, because those perspectives necessarily impact how stories get told and what those stories have to say.

Now, admittedly, a 2nd unit director probably isn't having a huge impact on the overall story of a film. Some impact, sure, but it's not like they're steering things differently from the primary director. But it's still important that Hollywood's positions of power start to open up and welcome people who can bring these different perspectives into play. And the end result, I think, is simply...more stories for more audiences, which in turn can help to share those experiences and bring us a better understanding of how people outside our own experiences live.

I'm all for diversity in any industry. One of the reasons the company I work for is so successful is because part of their standard is that they employ a diverse workforce to enable people to understand different perspectives. The issue I take is that Hollywood has a tendency to pat themselves on the back and take the focus away from the person in question and brag about how progressive they are for hiring someone of a different background, race, sexual preference, religion, etc.

I'm all for diversity in any industry. One of the reasons the company I work for is so successful is because part of their standard is that they employ a diverse workforce to enable people to understand different perspectives. The issue I take is that Hollywood has a tendency to pat themselves on the back and take the focus away from the person in question and brag about how progressive they are for hiring someone of a different background, race, sexual preference, religion, etc.

Yes but as of now, that’s not what has occurred here. I’ve tried to explain four times now there was no big press release of any kind. It was a simple third party Twitter post. Lucasfilm May make an official announcement at some point but as if now that’s not the case.

This isn't the first time that the heads of Lucasfilm have bragged about having a diverse workforce or making sure that diversity is at the forefront of their films.

Be diverse! That's wonderful! I say that sincerely. I wish racism / sexism/ homophobia etc werent an issue. My issue is Hollywood making a big deal of these things in a false sense of nobility and too often using an issue like race to show off to the world how amazing they are. This may have been a third party post but you see this kind of thing all the time in the news.

My employers hire diverse people but they don't have to brag about it.

Last edited:
Yes but as of now, that’s not what has occurred here. I’ve tried to explain four times now there was no big press release of any kind. It was a simple third party Twitter post. Lucasfilm May make an official announcement at some point but as if now that’s not the case.

A third party Twitter post of a picture they posed for which you posted here to be acknowledged. Still, it keeps the conversation going as TLJ left very little on which to speculate further.

Pity they didn`t give her the main gig, We all know what we are going to get from JJ in terms of presentation and my initial feelings that he will throw out the mess left by Johnson and try and salvage the trilogy have been all but dashed. I doubt Kathleen Kennedy would allow such a thing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back