Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I think you maybe confuse nostalgia with what came before.

You don't just alter the fundamental nature of a character 'just cause'. Not even with a 30 second explanation. Just from a pure literary standpoint, it's something drives me nuts when i see in other shows or movies as well. You don't have a character screw up something they've conquered previously as a contrived plot point.

I can buy luke ostracizing himself.
I can buy luke rejecting the force

Things that can be argued that were necessary for TLJ.

I flatly reject that luke was going to literally stab his nephew in the back while he slept. It's not letting the dark side win, it's #$%ing cowardly beyond belief.

It's an established character. Those are things that are totally against the character and there's no real explanation of why he's resorting to something so drastic. They could maybe have pulled it off if they were doing an Arrow style flashback showing the training, etc throw all 3 flicks, but it doesn't work without a massive build up.

Luke was not ever really above being pouty. In the aftermath of ROTJ the new republic could have rejected jedi and wanted nothing to do with him so he could have packed up shop and gone off. I'm not saying it's gold, but better than what they went with..

I mean, i can put it in a personal setting. A number of us have kids and/or nieces and nephews. There's not a situation I can conceive of where i'd stab my nephew in the back. Period. Let alone over a 'maybe'. I can think of a number of things that would make me have serious conversations about him with my sister, but that's about it. I CAN concieve of a situation where i'd do what i could to kill someone in the vain of the emperor or vader..

If you can't conceive of killing a family member over it, how could anyone else?

Again, the flaw is in the writing/execution. If you want to correlate this situation to his facing vader/emperor, fine. They both killed billions of people. Literally. In the end, luke rejected the idea of killing them. Yet, we're supposed to believe he's willing to kill a close family member who's done nothing wrong to this point. He's just had a vision that he might. As we've been told, visions are not reliable. Nostalgia and feeling aside, it doesn't add up. You didn't do something in the past when there were many more reasons to do so, but you are willing to do it 20 years later on a maybe??

Subverting. Your. Expectations.

:lol

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

"Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

"Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Guess that really was the end of Captain Phasma, then.

Was hoping they would split it into 2 movies to cover all the unanswered questions. I guess not. At this point I'm just ready for this ST to be over with then.

What unanswered questions are there? How maz got the saber (not that big a deal, really)
What happened to the resistance after crait? They escaped...
WIll there be a different answer to rey's parents?

Not much and certainly nothing seemingly worth 4-5 hours of screen time.

The mystery of Rey's parentage has no significance to her character. It's only of interest to the audience. I mean she knows who her parents are, so revealing it or not isn't going to impact the story the way Vader revealing his true identity to Luke impacted the character in Empire. It's one of many story structure flaws in TFA that are a result of J.J. s mystery box approach. This was perfectly illuminated by Solo4114.

Captain Plasma? What a throw away character. They built her up like she was the next Boba Fett.
Well, technically she was...minimal screentime, cool helmet amd lame death by falling...

The mystery of Rey's parentage has no significance to her character. It's only of interest to the audience. I mean she knows who her parents are, so revealing it or not isn't going to impact the story the way Vader revealing his true identity to Luke impacted the character in Empire. It's one of many story structure flaws in TFA that are a result of J.J. s mystery box approach. This was perfectly illuminated by Solo4114.
Mmmm yes and no. The fact that the lightsaber-visions mostly made her look into hitherto unknown or forgotten things (including a very young Rey seeing her parents’ ship leave) could have been used as a basis for her amnesia or simply she was too young to remember what happened exactly. It just might happen actually since Ren was simply reading Rey’s thoughts and there can be a bull* twist that “oh those were just her deepest fears”. Whatever really.

What unanswered questions are there? How maz got the saber (not that big a deal, really)
What happened to the resistance after crait? They escaped...
WIll there be a different answer to rey's parents?

Not much and certainly nothing seemingly worth 4-5 hours of screen time.

No your right. There is not enough mysteries left in the story now to split it into two episodes. E8 either killed any interesting plot lines or made the interesting ones bland. I was hoping they would make this ST story an epic story along the lines of a Game of thrones or something. E7 certainly set us up for the potential for that. Instead what were left with now is a mediocre story at best that is trying to emulate guardians of the galaxy. Its best to cut our losses with only one more episode and move on.

I think it will get back on track. They made an absolutely horrible horrible oversight in not mapping out a plan for the storylines of acts 1-3 and they should have never left each story off for another writer/director to take it where they seemed fit. The characters made should have had a completely fleshed out history, purpose, and connection to the story of why they are there as well as events timeline to be covered in each film. The writer can be different, but the characters must reach point A to B and cover key elements in the timeline.

Because they didn’t do this it’s like someone dropped a nuke and now a major cleanup has to happen to make any sense of things from here on out.

Hopefully the biggest lesson they ever learn is soon behind them.

I personally really really loved TFA because it did set up a bunch of interesting new characters and mystery. I’m not going to argue the similarities of the storyline to ANH. The new characters have a ton of potential to be great. The big big problem is that the characters JJ setup for the next chapter took a huge halt in the what they covered in TLJ and was such a wasted opportunity to let time pass, characters to grow and mystery to continue.

I believe JJ can figure out a good way to begin the dig out of the despairing pit of doo doo the franchise is in. He’s a big fan of SW and I think, especially without Kennedy calling any shots for this (reportedly) it can get back on course.

Any anger toward Han dying.... while I was gutted by it, there was no mystery Ford wanted to be done with that role and can’t say I didn’t see that coming.

I can’t for certain say Johnson is truly a big Star Wars fan. I can’t think of one hard core fan who could ever fathom wanting to tell an episodic story the way he did. Anyone who knows the saga knows you don’t continue the story 5 minutes after the previous film. And no one, but him, would do what he did with Luke.

Dang it, I went off on a rampage rant again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it will get back on track. They made an absolutely horrible horrible oversight in not mapping out a plan for the storylines of acts 1-3 and they should have never left each story off for another writer/director to take it where they seemed fit. The characters made should have had a completely fleshed out history, purpose, and connection to the story of why they are there as well as events timeline to be covered in each film. The writer can be different, but the characters must reach point A to B and cover key elements in the timeline.

Because they didn’t do this it’s like someone dropped a nuke and now a major cleanup has to happen to make any sense of things from here on out.

Hopefully the biggest lesson they ever learn is soon behind them.

I personally really really loved TFA because it did set up a bunch of interesting new characters and mystery. I’m not going to argue the similarities of the storyline to ANH. The new characters have a ton of potential to be great. The big big problem is that the characters JJ setup for the next chapter took a huge halt in the what they covered in TLJ and was such a wasted opportunity to let time pass, characters to grow and mystery to continue.

I believe JJ can figure out a good way to begin the dig out of the despairing pit of doo doo the franchise is in. He’s a big fan of SW and I think, especially without Kennedy calling any shots for this (reportedly) it can get back on course.

Any anger toward Han dying.... while I was gutted by it, there was no mystery Ford wanted to be done with that role and can’t say I didn’t see that coming.

I can’t for certain say Johnson is truly a big Star Wars fan. I can’t think of one hard core fan who could ever fathom wanting to tell an episodic story the way he did. Anyone who knows the saga knows you don’t continue the story 5 minutes after the previous film. And no one, but him, would do what he did with Luke.

Dang it, I went off on a rampage rant again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad you’ve put into words ( succinctly ) what I’ve been thinking , and miserably failing to do ... I’ll shut up now , and keep my fingers crossed ...

:cheersGed

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back