Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Are there racists? Sure. Is the Alt right a racist group? Of course.

Is there a huge problem with sexual harassment, assault, rape in Hollywood (and in the world), sadly, YES!

What I take issue with is the fact that filmmakers and the studios are more concerned with pleasing demographics than telling worthwhile stories.

I'm all for diversity and equality as long as it serves the story. The OT had diversity and equality and it was focused on the characters, no matter who they were. For people who have issues with Rose, Finn, Holdo or any of the other characters because of their skin color or gender (or the actors who portrayed them) then that is another issue entirely.

Again, it's all about the story. It doesn't matter if the director, writer, or actors are black, white, gay, straight, conservative, liberal, athiest or religious. Telling good stories is the point of all this. That's all the point should ever be.

I'm all for diversity and equality as long as it serves the story. The OT had diversity and equality and it was focused on the characters, no matter who they were. For people who have issues with Rose, Finn, Holdo or any of the other characters because of their skin color or gender (or the actors who portrayed them) then that is another issue entirely.

No, that's the exact issue JJ is referring to in that quote.

That rubbish from JJ Abrams should never have been posted here in the first place, as I said before, comments like that carry no weight as they are made by people who get paid millions of dollars from the very rubbish they are protecting and the follow up comment about being married and having children is just a disgrace really.

There are no doubt bad fans, but they are so fringe why are we even talking about them? Because it's an easy way to shout down valid complaints. If you can lump the naysayers in with the fringe groups then you can invalidate all of their complaints.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Again, this was specifically directed at that fringe and it is an interview with the writer/director of the film which is the topic of this thread and he discusses these issues and others in the context of Ep. IX.

His comments are about TLJ and have nothing to do with Ep Nein.

Those sort of articles and views and the people who support and promote them are also examples of bad fans. Of course, Im not married with children so I must be one as well.

Again, this was specifically directed at that fringe and it is an interview with the writer/director of the film which is the topic of this thread and he discusses these issues and others in the context of Ep. IX.
Exactly. That's the problem. It's the same thing Feig did with Ghostbusters. It's an easy way out for a director to say "People just don't like it because they're sexist racists" and then point to some isolated incident somewhere to make your point. Even if all negative reviewers are sexists or racists, which they aren't, maybe they have other complaints.

My point is if you have to point out the fringe groups you're ignoring the larger problems.

Last edited:
Exactly. That's the problem. It's the same thing Feig did with Ghostbusters. It's an easy way out for a director to say "People just don't like it because they're sexist racists" and them point to some isolated incident somewhere to make your point. Even if all negative reviewers are sexists or racists, which they aren't, maybe they have other complaints.

My pint is if you have to pint out the fringe groups you're ignoring the larger problems.

This was part of the point I was trying to make with my expletive laden rant earlier.

Spoilers below for Alien Covenant, but it is related to Ep9.

So, the other day I was listening to a playlist and "Country Road Take Me home" just randomly came up and got me thinking of Alien Covenant and how they wasted the character of Shaw. Then it occurred to me that with Carrie being gone and (thankfully) no CGI reanimation will take place I have a feeling that she's gonna be dealt wit in a similar way. Have a couple holograms here and there, maybe kidnapped by the FO and when our heroes come to her rescue just a static dead body...dunno, maybe a bit too macabre for Star Wars, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the outcome.

Spoilers below for Alien Covenant, but it is related to Ep9.

So, the other day I was listening to a playlist and "Country Road Take Me home" just randomly came up and got me thinking of Alien Covenant and how they wasted the character of Shaw. Then it occurred to me that with Carrie being gone and (thankfully) no CGI reanimation will take place I have a feeling that she's gonna be dealt wit in a similar way. Have a couple holograms here and there, maybe kidnapped by the FO and when our heroes come to her rescue just a static dead body...dunno, maybe a bit too macabre for Star Wars, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the outcome.

I thought Carrie Fisher did a great job in TLJ and I was glad they left her full performance in there without killing her off. Now im not so sure. I almost feel it is offensive to her and her legacy as Leia to not have her go out as a hero. Now we have to have her either die off screen or in some way that doesn't do her justice. How come they have to keep making all of the OT heroes go out like chumps?

I thought Carrie Fisher did a great job in TLJ and I was glad they left her full performance in there without killing her off. Now im not so sure. I almost feel it is offensive to her and her legacy as Leia to not have her go out as a hero. Now we have to have her either die off screen or in some way that doesn't do her justice. How come they have to keep making all of the OT heroes go out like chumps?

Yeah, she had too many great moments left in the film after the Force walk, it creates a challenge for JJ but I’m glad we got to see her as much as we did for the final time.

I see I'm in the minority here, but I confess I don't see the problem with anything JJ said. I didn't find him to be broadbrushing SW fans at all, he was in fact specifically addressing the Rotten Tomatoes issue and the like, and the rest of the interview was just a "Will this issue affect your decisions?" thing. As @Bryancd wrote, he was literally addressing just the extremists, if I read it right?

And yeah, it's (supposedly) a fringe movement, so maybe they shouldn't be given consideration so as to continue their 15 minutes. But one thing I personally have learned the past year (in America), is how what you thought was fringe all of a sudden becomes - or maybe always was - very mainstream. :-\

EDIT: For that matter, he's not even addressing "fans" on any level, right; these are people that are just using Star Wars as a bludgeoning stick to reach the masses with their ugly social agendas.

Last edited:
When I saw Leia get spaced my reaction was shock (as it was when Carrie died) quickly followed by the thought 'That's it. They've done it. She's gone' and at that moment I was fine with it. But they didn't do it. So, as I think I've said before, I really hope they put a bit of care and consideration into a plausible explanation for Leia's absense that doesn't involve killing her off. They don't have to do it. Let our Princess live forever. Especially as they've already killed two of our OT heroes who's players are still living (ironically).

Do we know for sure Luke is dead ?. All of the other force sensitive people in this movie, developed crazy Jedi powers overnight.
Why couldn't Luke dematerialize and materialize somewhere else to recharge his "batteries". It's possible isn't it ?
(ya I know grasping at straws to rationalize the stupidity I saw on screen). It's possible isn't it ?
It's possible isn't it ?
It's possible isn't it ?
It's possible isn't it ?
It's possible isn't it ?
It's possible isn't it ??????????

seeing as nothing is set in stone (it would appear - i.e. no overriding story arch, just make @#$% up as you go along) it would be possible. Not very likely, but the chances are better than 0. (just saying 1 in a billion is better than 0 ).

I've always thought they'd do something in the opening scrawl:

It's been 3 years since the Battle of Crait.
General Leia Organa, after being proven
right about the First Order, has been elected
Supreme Chancellor to lead the fight.

..... .... .... ...

Commander Poe Dameron has been sent on
a mission to <planet> to <do something>...

Film picks up there. Leia's in office on Coruscant, or wherever, and it's not in the film.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back