Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I would avoid any and all rumors like the plague before TLJ.

Right now I'm digging to find what direction they're going in because I'm in the same boat. I want to be made to want to see it. Being the Star Wars fan I am I will of course be going, but from a caring on where the story goes or the returning of any characters I'm hoping for, I would almost like no mystery in this and be flat out told if someone's coming back or not. I want to know the setup and what is the thing that is going to peak my interest of conflict this time around?

Is Kylo finally going to be fleshed out into the disciplined and cold, dangerous villain he had the potential of becoming from the start?

Will Kylo turn back to the good side?

Will Rey fail to some capacity at all?

Will Rey turn to the dark?

Will the Whils bring Luke back in the true form everyone else has echoed the key points of his character to be and have a greater purpose than what he was brought back in TLJ for?

What do they plan to do to make a compelling storyline again? Things have absolutely derailed and so much that I am in the same camp as many others that there is no continuation I see that has any mystery or magic to it from here on, so I would like LFL to more spell it out and not drag me along for the next year while wanting to go to my own island and live off fish and green breast milk, waiting to die.

I've never fished around as much for info in my life as I have now. I HATE spoilers, but I want to know the setup for it. I need to be excited for this one.

I would avoid any and all rumors like the plague before TLJ.

Right now I'm digging to find what direction they're going in because I'm in the same boat. I want to be made to want to see it. Being the Star Wars fan I am I will of course be going, but from a caring on where the story goes or the returning of any characters I'm hoping for, I would almost like no mystery in this and be flat out told if someone's coming back or not. I want to know the setup and what is the thing that is going to peak my interest of conflict this time around?

Is Kylo finally going to be fleshed out into the disciplined and cold, dangerous villain he had the potential of becoming from the start?

Will Kylo turn back to the good side?

Will Rey fail to some capacity at all?

Will Rey turn to the dark?

Will the Whils bring Luke back in the true form everyone else has echoed the key points of his character to be and have a greater purpose than what he was brought back in TLJ for?

What do they plan to do to make a compelling storyline again? Things have absolutely derailed and so much that I am in the same camp as many others that there is no continuation I see that has any mystery or magic to it from here on, so I would like LFL to more spell it out and not drag me along for the next year while wanting to go to my own island and live off fish and green breast milk, waiting to die.

I've never fished around as much for info in my life as I have now. I HATE spoilers, but I want to know the setup for it. I need to be excited for this one.

Interesting how that's changed? You have to seek potential spoilers to be engaged in the story.

Well in fairness, engaged in the story usually implies there are open ends still to resolve. TLJ didn't leave any. That's very problmeatic when it's part 2 of 3. At the end of ESB, luke was to return to yoda, the good guys still had to defeat the bad guys, vader had to be dealt with, han had to be saved, etc. There were still open ends. At the end of TLJ, the FO has basically won, and there aren't any story lines to tie up. It actually works sort of well in that respect if they were ending it ala ROTS and the next set is the good guys winning in the end. But even the end of ROTS (if it were made prior to the OT) had yoda in hiding, ben in hiding (guaranding luke), leia with bail, and the knowledge the empire had to be defeated. Nothing like that exists at the end of TLJ other than the logical thinking of the FO has to go down, but they haven't done well enough to make people love the characters that no one really cares what's next at this point.

Interesting how that's changed? You have to seek potential spoilers to be engaged in the story.

That's how I'm feeling too. I always avoid spoilers for SW movies but now I'm actively seeking them out. Either I'm looking for something to be excited about or I just don't care anymore. And TBH, the more I hear that e9 retcons e8, the more I'll be pulled back in as a fan.

While I love Billy Dee and Lando, his return has little to no bearing on the story whatsoever. Han and Luke are dead. Leia is gone in real life and won't be in the story from what I understand. Who is he going to interact with? Chewie? 3-PO? R2? Without Han, Luke or Leia, why would he even bother returning to the fight if they aren't around? He didn't factor into Force Awakens or Last Jedi so what difference would it make now? Is he going to single handedly bankroll the Resistance war machine on some gambling winnings? That'll probably be the reason he shows up. I'll tell you the real reason why he's coming back. He'll return as a cheap move by Disney to sucker fans into the theater.

I'm done with these movies as a series. They can do whatever they want with it for all I care. There is only Star Wars, Empire and Jedi and the only thing I'm interested in Disney doing is releasing a properly restored theatrical cut in 4K or Bluray, and perhaps the occasional product here and there. I can't believe I spent so many years being duped by prequel after sequel after spin off only to realize that they only movies out of the 10 that exist, I only care for the first three. I feel liberated by it though. I honestly do. I can actually watch those movies again and enjoy them and enjoy my memories of the early EU stuff and the early nineties when this stuff wasn't tainted by crappy content. Back in a time before the Special Editions when the movies were untouched and the products were a natural extension of the movies rather than the other way around.

For those fans who are excited about Ep. 9, more power to you! For those who are out as fans or who are burned, I say, go back. Rewatch the movies in the series you love. Not just like. LOVE. Stop making excuses for liking something you aren't completely infatuated with and be picky. Overall, for all fans, enjoy yourselves and remember that perhaps the best way to enjoy these movies is to do it like we did when we were kids as just that. Movies. Just take what you love and leave the rest behind.

Last edited:
Maybe Rey will binary fizz, each half of her runs in the opposite direction, and then there were two?

I wouldn't doubt the Force speaking to Rey about a "niece" comes into play so we can be chastised for not seeing what was "clearly" laid out before our eyes and ears.

I am still hoping for the musical!

Kylo gets diagnosed with endometriosis.

Obiwan would be another pandering. Chewey dies on an exploding moon...Argh, f--fighting th-the es-established cub-cuh-canon.

Reylo would be interesting, long-range Force-spermiantion...I thought RJ wouldn't be involved. Oh look! It is in a fan fiction from an old Tiger Beat magazine, the child will look surprisingly a lot like Scott Baio and Shaun Cassidy.

What are they going to do about Leia?

I will wait to hear the fan response before I even consider attending.

They are going to throw everything but the kitchen sink at this to try and entice back the people who gave up after the last movie. It was proudly announced nearly three months ago that Abrams had a completed script and was ready to go yet the reality of the situation must have sunk in at some stage and reports of script changes and rewrites are everywhere. Personally I`m only interested in where and how they found Luke`s ESB lightsaber and nothing else. Once I hear that, if they remember to address it, I`m done.

They are going to throw everything but the kitchen sink at this to try and entice back the people who gave up after the last movie. It was proudly announced nearly three months ago that Abrams had a completed script and was ready to go yet the reality of the situation must have sunk in at some stage and reports of script changes and rewrites are everywhere. Personally I`m only interested in where and how they found Luke`s ESB lightsaber and nothing else. Once I hear that, if they remember to address it, I`m done.

You mean how it took 20 years to explain how Ben got Anakin's? :)

I imagine you're in for quite a while still. I don't think you get an explanation, at least not a 'Bottom of Bespin to TFA' explanation.

Why would it matter how they explain where/when the saber was recovered? Do the last two movies "count" as the continuation of Star Wars to you?
Personally I don't see them as anything more than fanfilms so where they take the story is an idle curiosity for me but none of it affects the OT or the actual SW story (for me). I know you're hopeful that SW can be fixed (I admire that hope) so I'm curious what could be done in the next installment to fix it? I've wracked my brain trying to think of a way to undo the "damage" of TLJ but it seems impossible without pulling a Dallas move and having Luke wake up in a cold sweat, having dreamt the last film.

Personally, I find it a bit amusing that people who have hated each of the post-Disney films think that Disney is going to start tailoring their films to suit the haters liking (no disrespect meant here by the term “haters,” it’s just the best short term I could think of to describe those who have... hated every film.)

Putting Solo aside (as there are a myriad of reasons why it underperformed), wasn’t Last Jedi something like the 11th biggest movie worldwide, and 8th biggest domestic? That’s not just first weekend numbers, before the haters “found out” how much they were going to dislike TLJ. It’s total box office over a span of many weeks.

Quite frankly, if I was making the films I wanted to make and a group of people didn’t like them, but plenty of others did, why would I then turn around and start trying to please the people who haven’t liked what I’ve been doing? This seems like a stupid idea, since there’s absolutely no guarantee than an attempt to please those who have been displeased with each previous film would even like a film that was specifically “tailored” to their desires. It would be possible that no one would be pleased, which would be disastrous, and damaging for the future of things.

Of course, none of us know what sort of change in direction will happen, if any, with Episode 9 and beyond, but I think some people are in for a rude awakening if they think that suddenly Disney is going to turn around and start tailoring their product to people who have said they hate Disney, and Kathleen Kennedy, and JJ Abrams, and Rian Johnson. It just doesn’t seem like a sensible move to me.

SW has a, if not the, largest built in fan base out there. You are going to get a number of people to see it at least once which will give it totals that are higher than most regardless of quality.

Change those numbers to factor for inflation and it's not top 20..In fact:

TFA - adjusted for inflation, 11.
TLJ - adjusted for inflation 43

That's a fall off indicative of people not liking it as much as the previous. It's not conclusive evidence, but pretty clear nonetheless.

I wouldn't expect them to tailor it to anyone's particular tastes, but, I would expect them to look at it and see why it was divisive, why people didn't like it and address that aspect. Your built in fan base is what brings in the money, sells the products, and generates those gargantuan licensing fees. So, maybe you ought to look at why you're driving those people away.

No one is saying they should listen a lot of BS complaining that's out there like too female, etc. But, they have created issues and that's something the should very much look at and change the way they're doing things. Again, something, have a plan going in, don't pull character assassinations on nearly all the existing characters.

Part of any film in a series should be an internal post-mortem about what went right and what went wrong and how to address it going forward. There wasn't really anything to correct, generally speaking, off of TFA. Like it or not, it was generally non-offensive. In hindsight after TLJ, there's more to dislike. How's it going to look if IX comes out and continues that all time BO fall from 43 to 80? or not even in the top 100?

They haven't really had to see if it causes any real lasting damage yet. You can explain Solo away due to it's own production, timing, and PR issues. I can definitely see that happening corporately. IX will be very colored in how it does at least initially by TLJ. If you're running the show, do you bet on TLJ or double down on it? Or do you try and recapture the fanbase that got you where you are and that you could very well be alienating fight now? And, to restate for clarity, not by addressing the idiocy that is out there but legitimate issues long time fans have...lack of respect for what came before, story structure, etc.

Why would it matter how they explain where/when the saber was recovered? Do the last two movies "count" as the continuation of Star Wars to you?
Personally I don't see them as anything more than fanfilms so where they take the story is an idle curiosity for me but none of it affects the OT or the actual SW story (for me). I know you're hopeful that SW can be fixed (I admire that hope) so I'm curious what could be done in the next installment to fix it? I've wracked my brain trying to think of a way to undo the "damage" of TLJ but it seems impossible without pulling a Dallas move and having Luke wake up in a cold sweat, having dreamt the last film.

Well an explanation on the lightsaber would be nice as its the entire basis of Rey`s entire existence in the whole thing actually. I only care about it as its the only plot point I have any real interest in, after a reasonable set up in TFA, the film after that left me feeling empty and totally without any interest in what happens next, simple as that, nothing to do with a continuation of Star Wars or any other rubbish you want to tack on.

On another post, personally, I find it amusing how TLJ backlash deniers are well, TLJ backlash deniers.

Last edited:
Eh, I didn’t use the adjusted for inflation numbers because the absolutely enormous theatrical runs for movies like Gone with the Wind (#1) and Star Wars (#2) skew things in their own way. Unless I’m mistaken, those movies ran for literally months/years on end. Unadjusted numbers are a good way of gauging one modern era film against others, (or one old film against another of the same era) and in that metric the ST films have faired quite well, I think.

And for the inference-impaired: I didn’t ever say or even imply that there’s no backlash. Just that Disney doesn’t seem interested in going out of their way to try pleasing the displeased. “They’re just not that into you,” if you will. To think that creators are going to bend their creative visions to attempt to fit the whims of those who have been very vocal about how terrible a job they’ve been doing is... something.

I guess we’ll see. If the next film includes the laundry list of fantasy “fixes” we’ve heard in this thread and others, I guess I’ll have to come back here and say I was wrong.

I guess we’ll see. If the next film includes the laundry list of fantasy “fixes” we’ve heard in this thread and others, I guess I’ll have to come back here and say I was wrong.

Would it matter if they did? My interest is largely gone after TLJ. I doubt they could do much of anything to get me interested in this trilogy again. I may check out the stand alones in the future if they get a good hook on one, but I'm not holding out much hope for it.

Would it matter if they did? My interest is largely gone after TLJ. I doubt they could do much of anything to get me interested in this trilogy again. I may check out the stand alones in the future if they get a good hook on one, but I'm not holding out much hope for it.
This is true, for many who’ve been unhappy it’d likely be too little, too late. Which is exactly why I can’t see it happening. It’s the risk of alienating everyone I mentioned earlier. The classic “attempt to please everyone, and you’ll please no one” scenario.

Eh, I didn’t use the adjusted for inflation numbers because the absolutely enormous theatrical runs for movies like Gone with the Wind (#1) and Star Wars (#2) skew things in their own way. Unless I’m mistaken, those movies ran for literally months/years on end. Unadjusted numbers are a good way of gauging one modern era film against others, (or one old film against another of the same era) and in that metric the ST films have faired quite well, I think.

And for the inference-impaired: I didn’t ever say or even imply that there’s no backlash. Just that Disney doesn’t seem interested in going out of their way to try pleasing the displeased. “They’re just not that into you,” if you will. To think that creators are going to bend their creative visions to attempt to fit the whims of those who have been very vocal about how terrible a job they’ve been doing is... something.

Show me a couple of things, first, the wish list of things people have been posting they want changed for Ep Nein in this or any other thread and secondly, show me the posts where people are actually excited to see Ep Nein.

Its one thing to show a public face that everything`s peachy but behind closed doors the need to make as much money as possible is the true drive. They know that low interest even at this early stage is a great concern and the reports about script changes etc are a valid indication of that. I never said they were going to retcon TLJ to bring back the significant amount of people who have lost interest only that there are changing things to hook as many of those people as possible. If they didnt try and do that then the shareholders will throw them all out so maybe you should get an inference impairment check as well.

True you cant please everyone but if your whole thing is about profit you try and please as many people as you can.

I’m not going to go sorting through all the pages of the multiple TLJ/episode 9 threads that exist to find them for you. Surely in one of the 50+ page threads here, someone had something to say about what they’d like to see, no? It wasn’t all just moaning and complaining about how the franchise is dying, childhoods have been ruined, etc, was it? If not in this thread, then in one of the other half dozen TLJ-related threads, people talked about what they’d like to see going forward. I think I even asked about this very thing (what people wanted from future films), and people responded.

If I’m imagining this and there really have not been any suggestions, then that would tie in with the idea that Disney shouldn’t waste time trying to please them, since they apparently don’t know what it is that they want.

I never mentioned anyone being excited or not about episode IX, but the poll from the main TLJ thread indicated that more people liked that movie than disliked it. Everyone viewing the poll had equal opportunity to vote, so I’d take that as about as good a gauge of this community’s like/dislike of that film as any.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back