Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

"No! No different! Only different in your mind!" Brushing aside vines, moving around obstacles, and sitting on the log is definitely a departure from the static figure we'd seen Ghost Obi-Wan to be up to that point. It was appropriate to the scene, and it worked, but interaction with the physical is interaction with the physical. I could argue that reaching out through the Force you're now one with to call down the lightning is less problematic than if Yoda had just Force-Lightning'ed the tree directly.

Where's the line, though? Obi-Wan's cloak and lightsaber remained, but the rest of his clothing vanished with him. But cloak and lightsaber are there in his ghostly form, along with the rest. All of Yoda's clothes went with him, necklace and everything. Anakin left behind his body, not just the cybernetics. And I doubt he was wearing those Jedi robes under the leather bodysuit (never mind having hair). Same as Qui-Gon, who, per the films, was apparently the first Jedi to figure out the Force Ghost trick, even though it was apparently a post-mortem discovery. So there's no hard and fast precedent for what stays and what goes.

I think your way overstretching if you think basic interaction to progress a scene is anywhere near summoning and controlling forces of nature.

The line is not taking things established purely as a matter of aesthetic and presentation and twist them in to something they are not as a cheap shortcut.

Jar Jar could bring back the whole gang of force ghosts to wipe out the first order themselves as there`s only about six resistance members alive if you want to stretch it out that much. :lol Wouldnt leave a lot stuff for the almighty characters of Rey and Kylo to do though so I guess that`s out.

Last edited:
I've had this scenario floating around in my head for a while now, wondering what if after TLJ.
Split Episode IX into two. Opening with Luke on Ach-to like he just awoke from a nightmare.
Then you hear yoda's voice say "coming a visitor is, prepare you must. Much work to do". Rey's arrival is the same except
instead for Luke tossing the saber he looks at it full of emotion. not only because its part of his father (before the turn) and himself.
A symbol of his journey and a sign from the force that it is time. Time to wake up the universe. For it to find true balance. Balance he has
found thru the Journal of the Whills. The first text of the force used to teach balance with the force to all things and to train the true
guardians. Hidden on Ach-to for uncounted Millennia, which he has been studying to prepare for this moment.

Part one is the training of Rey ( in my vision that will not be easy for either) couple with escalation of the conflict between the FO and the resistance
Leia Dies in some emotional way, sacrificing herself.

Part two: Luke and Rey leaving Ach-to to search for Kylo Ren and Snoke and to Quote ESB, "to end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy".

I have more in my head about the training, which includes the dangerous fusion of a Jedi and Sith, Kyber crystal to power the next generation
of sabers. (very, very tricky to wield properly. When you master it virtually nothing can defend against it)

Yada, Yada, Yada.

Treating TLJ as if it never happened would be Disney admitting they royally screwed up, and there's no way everything they showed in that film in detail could all be part of a big dream. The movie has to stand as-is and they can only pick up what pieces they have and move forward. In Star Wars there is no reboot and they have to live with the decisions they ok'd and that is that.

I do think there is a very plausible way to bring back Luke, though. They probably won't in the way I hope they may, but I think we can expect to see him in some form.

Aside from Leia though, no one else really knows Luke passed on, assuming she tells no one. Kylo will be hunting for no one for some time before realizing he's not there.

That would make for another hilarious side adventure: Kylo: A Star Wars Story. Watch the misadventures of Kylo Ren on this comedic quest as he obtains false information from many unreliable sources on Luke's whereabouts for 2 hours and 15 minutes and travels from one system to the next chasing nothing and gets frustrated!

I think your way overstretching if you think basic interaction to progress a scene is anywhere near summoning and controlling forces of nature.

The line is not taking things established purely as a matter of aesthetic and presentation and twist them in to something they are not as a cheap shortcut.
I actually think it was more like Sir Alec not being able to give enough *****s to stay standing during his shoot than aesthetics but same really. :lol

My son just asked me to put on TFA and watching it with him I have an Episode IX prediction. Within the first 3min Poe will crack a joke. He does in TFA with "Who talks first" and in TLJ with the prank call. I bet JJ keeps that ball rolling. Personally I thought both were funny.

My son just asked me to put on TFA and watching it with him I have an Episode IX prediction. Within the first 3min Poe will crack a joke. He does in TFA with "Who talks first" and in TLJ with the prank call. I bet JJ keeps that ball rolling. Personally I thought both were funny.

Exactly two minutes after Rey wakes up in a cold sweat from a horrible nightmare and runs to a puzzled Luke Skywalker who is cooking a space walrus.......

...well, I tried to have some light hearted fun with you, my mistake.

Well Bryan, I`ve been in this whole TLJ thing right from the start and after a while it starts to feel as long and tiring as the M*A*S*H version of the Korean War so forgive me if I lost my ROSE coloured glasses a while back. See what I did there?. I can do light hearted fun as good as the next guy.

I’ll just leave it here to lighten the mood...:)

E3632E88-5698-48A6-9C87-BDB3728508A8.jpeg

One thing I think has to happen from the JJ camp for Episode IX that is something I am not typically ever a fan of AT ALL in regards to the trailer.... is actually fill the audience in on what truly is going on this time to pull everyone back in.

At this point TLJ leaves us all at a pretty definitive end to every film before it. And because of that, all of us have zero clue as to what is even next, and quite frankly many people seem to post that they really don't care anymore with how hurt they felt after VIII. So in this case, you want to introduce a little bit of the story and remove some of that mystery, while inventing something new of mystery that they don't tell us.

I love not being spoiled, but i'm willing to put A LOT of that aside to just be clued in as to how much time has passed and what is the rising conflict.

I don't want a bunch of nods to the OT and just being familiar with what I know. I just want a really well thought out story that stays true to what the core of Star Wars is all about, without the SJW, and bring me back to that galaxy far, far away we love to escape the real world for.

Again, the biggest problem for nine is how to cap off a trilogy when there really aren't any open ended plot points left for the 3rd movie to conclude. Even the supposed outline for IX from the source who's been close before would be best served as it's own series, not just tacked on the the 2 made so far.

The more I think about it, the more I see this playing out one of two ways:

1. Ep. IX is, in fact, a segue into a new trilogy. It's designed explicitly to do that. It would be not an end, but the end of the beginning. It would still have a sense of finality to it, but it would be a finality that also introduces the seeds of the new story (e.g., the First Order consolidates its power, but is hurt badly by a blow from a rejuvenated Resistance/Rebellion, setting the stage for war on a more even playing field). For example, this could involve a major battle that results in the formation of a new counter-government, rather than just a rag-tag rebellion or resistance. This would set a stage closer to the Clone Wars than the Galactic Civil War, with battle being between to actual governments and large-scale sides in a conflict, rather than a lopsided fight between a tyrannical empire and a small rebel alliance.

2. Ep. IX tries to actually wrap everything up and in so doing, ends up trying to do WAY too much in a single film. Kylo Ren is defeated and redeemed! Rey becomes head of the new Jedi! The First Order is completely overthrown! A new Republic is established! Another superweapon is destroyed! Stop me if you've heard this one already! Basically, they just ape Return of the Jedi in a sense, and tie everything up in a bow.

The thing is, I think Rian Johnson made it really, really difficult to put a bow on this trilogy...and I don't think Disney has an incentive to do so.

With each of the two previous trilogies, Lucas himself was making the films, and Lucas himself had grown tired of making them. We've all heard the rumors that Star Wars was originally planned to be nine films by Lucas, and that he and Gary Kurtz parted ways with Gary understanding that the story was going to head in a VERY different direction (e.g., Leia isn't Luke's sister, there'd be more of a love triangle, Luke would wander off on his own, blah blah blah). But Lucas got tired of it all and just wrapped it all up with ROTJ. Then with the PT, obviously, everything is wrapped up neatly to segue into ANH (I would argue it was done way too abruptly) with ROTS. In both cases, Lucas was done making Star Wars movies for the foreseeable future.

Disney and LFL, however, have a very different attitude. They plan to tell stories in this universe for a long time. What better way to do that than to...keep the main story going? I think they open up a ton of possibilities for the future of the story if Ep. IX merely closes one major chapter of Star Wars, while opening another. I could see Ben leaving the FO and becoming more of a "grey" anti-hero. I could see Rey teaching new Jedi or teaching them to teach themselves. I could see the FO surviving but now being genuinely threatened by a new power in the form of those who are willing to fight to oppose it. Ep. IX could showcase a galaxy dividing and picking sides between the FO and the Third Republic or whathaveyou, all of which sets the stage for a subsequent trilogy. And that allows you to tell many more stories. More than you'd get with a "happily ever after" ending that we know is just going to be upended when the next trilogy is announced.

The more I think about it, the more I see this playing out one of two ways:

1. Ep. IX is, in fact, a segue into a new trilogy. It's designed explicitly to do that. It would be not an end, but the end of the beginning. It would still have a sense of finality to it, but it would be a finality that also introduces the seeds of the new story (e.g., the First Order consolidates its power, but is hurt badly by a blow from a rejuvenated Resistance/Rebellion, setting the stage for war on a more even playing field). For example, this could involve a major battle that results in the formation of a new counter-government, rather than just a rag-tag rebellion or resistance. This would set a stage closer to the Clone Wars than the Galactic Civil War, with battle being between to actual governments and large-scale sides in a conflict, rather than a lopsided fight between a tyrannical empire and a small rebel alliance.

2. Ep. IX tries to actually wrap everything up and in so doing, ends up trying to do WAY too much in a single film. Kylo Ren is defeated and redeemed! Rey becomes head of the new Jedi! The First Order is completely overthrown! A new Republic is established! Another superweapon is destroyed! Stop me if you've heard this one already! Basically, they just ape Return of the Jedi in a sense, and tie everything up in a bow.

The thing is, I think Rian Johnson made it really, really difficult to put a bow on this trilogy...and I don't think Disney has an incentive to do so.

With each of the two previous trilogies, Lucas himself was making the films, and Lucas himself had grown tired of making them. We've all heard the rumors that Star Wars was originally planned to be nine films by Lucas, and that he and Gary Kurtz parted ways with Gary understanding that the story was going to head in a VERY different direction (e.g., Leia isn't Luke's sister, there'd be more of a love triangle, Luke would wander off on his own, blah blah blah). But Lucas got tired of it all and just wrapped it all up with ROTJ. Then with the PT, obviously, everything is wrapped up neatly to segue into ANH (I would argue it was done way too abruptly) with ROTS. In both cases, Lucas was done making Star Wars movies for the foreseeable future.

Disney and LFL, however, have a very different attitude. They plan to tell stories in this universe for a long time. What better way to do that than to...keep the main story going? I think they open up a ton of possibilities for the future of the story if Ep. IX merely closes one major chapter of Star Wars, while opening another. I could see Ben leaving the FO and becoming more of a "grey" anti-hero. I could see Rey teaching new Jedi or teaching them to teach themselves. I could see the FO surviving but now being genuinely threatened by a new power in the form of those who are willing to fight to oppose it. Ep. IX could showcase a galaxy dividing and picking sides between the FO and the Third Republic or whathaveyou, all of which sets the stage for a subsequent trilogy. And that allows you to tell many more stories. More than you'd get with a "happily ever after" ending that we know is just going to be upended when the next trilogy is announced.
I am hoping for something like you mentioned in number one, where the resistance grows larger and more organized to the point to where both sides are equally large. Now if you pay close attention in ROTS, you will notice that Yoda mentions that it will take a long time for the clone troopers to recalibrate, so my favorite theory is for all or at least part of the stormtroopers to turn and help the resistance. Either wiping out the first order or making it an even fight. Or my second favorite theory is for Kylo and the first order to finish of the resistance.

I am hoping for something like you mentioned in number one, where the resistance grows larger and more organized to the point to where both sides are equally large. Now if you pay close attention in ROTS, you will notice that Yoda mentions that it will take a long time for the clone troopers to recalibrate, so my favorite theory is for all or at least part of the stormtroopers to turn and help the resistance. Either wiping out the first order or making it an even fight. Or my second favorite theory is for Kylo and the first order to finish of the resistance.

Seth:
In ROTS Yoda was talking to Obi-Wan about Recalibrating the beacon at the Jedi temple, warning the surviving Jedi to stay away.

OR.... They just decide this isn't going to be done as trilogies, but an ongoing thing, so that you really don't know if anyone's hero or villain arc comes to an end. You almost know if there's a trilogy involved that either the hero or villain is gonna go, so why not leave it a big guessing game and you never know when by just removing the whole trilogy idea?

It would be a departure from how the other films were done, but Lucas was the one who had the idea of telling a series of stories in threes. Nothing to say Disney, being in it for the long haul, just decides no trilogies, but doing this as an ongoing saga. Maybe this story caps at Episode X.

It is dangerous though to have each chapter left up to a new writer/director going forward. They need someone who can create a clear map for where these stories are going or there's just going to be a heck of a lot of inconsistencies.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back