Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

The internet, just like any other information source, contains truths and falsehoods. You just have trouble sorting them out. Either that, or you're a Disney-paid shill.

Time to 'fess up, Bryan. Which is it? Pollyanna? Or shill?

Smart business and financial analyst who is also a fan. Capable of calm, rational thinking and have been pretty consistent making the correct calls on these films so far. But don't worry, you have that dumb SWIQ thing to call your own. :)

Well at least they are sacking them now BEFORE they start filming.
I'm guessing Rian would be the first pick , the lack of trouble surrounding his production of VIII makes him the obvious choice. Plus its been his script and direction that seems to have given the characters the development they needed after TFA,and,reading between the lines of whats being said, enough creative thought put into it that would perhaps bring the new trilogy to a more satisfying and conclusion if he were given the chance.
But again, whatever they are going to do, they are going to have to do it fast. When Jack Thorne was brought in it sounded to me as if it was the story that they are really stuck on, and with CT leaving now that confirms it. Shooting is due to start January 2018, so that doesn't leave alot of wriggle time to sort it all out and make a good job of it. Rian is the obvious choice to manage it to the end, because its one they REALLY have to get right for the future of the franchise beyond IX.
From the studio side of things I just think that sometimes it takes a while to find the right people to produce the kind of film they are looking for. There is no doubt in my mind that Lucasfilm saw the success at of the Marvel cinematic universe and tried to let it take itself in that direction, but the truth is the Star Wars universe doesn't allow either the stories or characters to be played with in the same manner. As the Wook says its got a certain feel to it.Getting that right is proving trickier than they thought.
Hence the mess with "Rogue One" , originally shot as a supposedly dark and gritty war drama like a "Private Ryan" in space for older audiences, then reshot to bring it into line tonally with the OT ratings. Then more or less the same problem with Solo this time the stronger comedy angle getting hauled back.
If Lucasfilm could find somebody to nail the kind of game changing tone they need to the main films as Marvel did with "The WInter Soldier", with a stable writing team like Chris Markus and Steve McFeely and somebody like the Russo brothers to shoot it then everybody would be laughing.
But the truth is at the moment they are having to pullback on the reins harder than they anticipated because its fairly obvious the ones they hoped would deliver what they were looking for can't. And unlike some other major studios they are actively reacting to it now. With Rian there doesn't seem to have been any drama at all. So I really hope they go with him.

I dunno, Kathleen Kennedy sure seems to know her stuff - much more than a lot of people who like to take jabs from the sidelines.

Yeah, she might've allowed what could be a miss with Han Solo, but she saw that Miller/Lord weren't right and steered away from it... it sounds like she tried to stay hands off until she couldn't. She then gave it Ron Howard, someone who worked with George Lucas pre-SW, again with Willow (based on GL's story) and who was asked to direct Episode I, so there's a lengthy history and a depth of knowledge and understanding how Star Wars works.

Kathleen Kennedy showed real character on how she handled this - she saw the Miller/Lord mistake and corrected it - and corrected it by going with someone with a history in the Lucas/Star Wars worlds. That doesn't mean Opie can save the movie - there are huge odds to overcome (Alden Ehrenreich); but, if anyone can... there's not many others that come with the pedigree he does.

Now, what happens with IX is going to have a lot of speculation. I'm confident Kathleen Kennedy and her team with go with the best person for the gig.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-1201846005/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...shes-star-wars-at-archer-film-festival-998045

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/17/45997...line-to-see-star-wars-to-producing-it-herself

And at the end of the day the success or failure will only he realized when the films are released. The BTS noise is meaningless until the film sinks or swims, that's the final arbiter.
The problem isn't what's going on BTS, it's the mindless speculation from those with no knowledge on the matter.

Considering most of what Abrams did was throw nostalgia at the audience and having it backfired on them, I can see why Disney would reconsider Trevorrow. There was a ton of member berries in both TFA and JW, so I can see Disney wanting to avoid it a second time around. I even saw the interview in Empire Magazine recently where Rian Johnson kinda implied that he felt Abrams over did it on the nostalgia baiting in TFA. Plus, I have no doubt that the reception to Book of Henry was a large influence on Disney's decision on whether to continue having him on the project.

Was a low budget film about child abuse ever likely to pull in big box office?

Even if this film made nothing, if you add it to the box office of his last one he is still averaging 750,000,000 box office per film.

Considering most of what Abrams did was throw nostalgia at the audience and having it backfired on them, I can see why Disney would reconsider Trevorrow. There was a ton of member berries in both TFA and JW, so I can see Disney wanting to avoid it a second time around. I even saw the interview in Empire Magazine recently where Rian Johnson kinda implied that he felt Abrams over did it on the nostalgia baiting in TFA. Plus, I have no doubt that the reception to Book of Henry was a large influence on Disney's decision on whether to continue having him on the project.

Wait? E7 backfired on them?? My god, i hope then i can have something backfire like that on it - it pulled in 2B before DVD one hit the street. It's easily pulled in between 3-4 Billion between tickets, disc's, and licensed goods. If that's a backfire - the entire company can retire with a hit.

Wait? E7 backfired on them?? My god, i hope then i can have something backfire like that on it - it pulled in 2B before DVD one hit the street. It's easily pulled in between 3-4 Billion between tickets, disc's, and licensed goods. If that's a backfire - the entire company can retire with a hit.

Yep, again a case where an opinion is paraded around as fact, except its not.

This uniformed speculation about how this franchised is being managed with an iron fist by KK is constantly contradicted by the people actually working on the films.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...on.html?referer=https://t.co/ivMmbxWQPf?amp=1

There is no hard and fast plan for these films, there does seem to be creative freedom to develop this story. That doesn't mean any director gets to call the shoots in what is made but it certainly demonstrates a willingness to allow a more free form approach...to a point.

Well, that settles it. Someone whose livelihood depends upon this particular corporate machine says everything is all roses. That MUST be true. They're all "politicians". Little they say is ever truthful or direct. It's all politi-speak.That language can never be trusted or taken at face value.

That's the thing though with JJ, he's incapable of answering his own mysteries or finishing what he starts.

That's a fair criticism. But he's a great visualist, huge fan, and has a lot of energy in his films. Given the opportunity to put a bow on these three films would be interesting.

I meant it backfired with fans. There's a lot of movies that are financially and critically successful, but don't continue to be received positively after a span of time. Avatar and Jurassic World are also two other movies that this has happened to. Personally, I love TFA, and I think the comparisons to it being too much like ANH are really the ONLY valid criticism against the movie, but the truth is that A LOT of people think the movie is the worst thing since The Room.

I meant it backfired with fans. There's a lot of movies that are financially and critically successful, but don't continue to be received positively after a span of time. Avatar and Jurassic World are also two other movies that this has happened to. Personally, I love TFA, and I think the comparisons to it being too much like ANH are really the ONLY valid criticism against the movie, but the truth is that A LOT of people think the movie is the worst thing since The Room.

I entirely disagree with your "fan's" comment. Rey and Fin and Kylo are now a part of pop culture. TFA didn't make $2B without creating an entire new generation of fans. Again, don't be fooled by the echo chamber of self selecting opinion validation on the internet.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back