Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

The final theory has some very valid points and ideas how to end the Skywalker story line.
While I'm eh about Anakin Skywalker, the thought of him returning as a force ghost would tie things together nicely.
If executed properly even if it is just Ren imagining it or an illusion from Snoke.

I just hope that the last movie ties up the major loose ends.
Live or die, the characters have not been developed enough for me to care.

OCD means I will be watching it but not in the theater.

His theory gives me a bit of optimism that 9 could be good. However, i'm not sure what they could possibly do to make me care about Kylo. Spoiled brat-whiner from nearly the beginning. His opening scene was good and it just went downhill from there.

I though he gave a great outline. When he was talking about Luke returning as a ghost to get Rey on the right track, as he was saying he was explaining things that tie things together better for Rey, revealing himself as her father popped into my head. I'm not advocating or saying it's what will happen, etc. Just that it popped into my head. Frankly, it would tie things up a bit more, explain the connection to Kylo/Ben, and give closure in the end frankly. You could end on that note and you could go with X down the road. Plus, as the more and more you examine the ST it more and more appears to be a redo-of the OT. All we're really missing right now is a surprise parent reveal quite honestly. What would make that final duel between them more palpable, interesting, and more dramatic? If they were related.... Luke: I can't kill my father. Rey: I can't kill my cousin. It would align with the OT very well.

I watched the video and it's some interesting speculation, though if they killed off Rey I think it would generally be considered too dark of an ending to the series and also this trilogy. I would guess that they are going to have her vanquish Ren as I sincerely doubt his internal struggle has been scripted well enough to warrant turning him back to the light.

As others have said, continuing the Skywalker line in the films has to come to a close at some point if only because there is not much more you can do within that framework. Unless that was kind of Lucasfilm's idea all along in a sense that they would make the Sequel Trilogy just to finish off the Skywalker storyline and pump a bunch of money out of it so that they could start making all kinds of other films that have nothing to do directly with the Empire/ Rebellion conflict.

I'm not certain that I am compelled enough by these new characters to really be emotionally invested in them the way I'd hoped I would be. idk.

That's good news, assuming it's accurate. I didn't mind that they were separated for TLJ, but it'd be nice to see the gang stick together a bit more this time around. I don't expect them to stay together the entire time, of course, but it'll be nice to have them not be separated for the whole movie. I'm curious to see how Poe's going to factor into all of this as well. My sense is that his role is going to change to have him be more of a leader figure than a "guy who hops in an X-wing and blows stuff up" figure, but it may take another movie to transition him fully to that role.

That's good news, assuming it's accurate. I didn't mind that they were separated for TLJ, but it'd be nice to see the gang stick together a bit more this time around. I don't expect them to stay together the entire time, of course, but it'll be nice to have them not be separated for the whole movie. I'm curious to see how Poe's going to factor into all of this as well. My sense is that his role is going to change to have him be more of a leader figure than a "guy who hops in an X-wing and blows stuff up" figure, but it may take another movie to transition him fully to that role.
That was definitely an aspect I missed. I hope they get the gang back together at the very least. I've always wanted more Poe and Rey screen time. It's one thing I really think they missed in TLJ. I feel like they'd have an interesting dynamic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That was definitely an aspect I missed. I hope they get the gang back together at the very least. I've always wanted more Poe and Rey screen time. It's one thing I really think they missed in TLJ. I feel like they'd have an interesting dynamic.

Yeah, I think the end of TLJ suggests that there'll probably be more interaction between the two, although we'll have to see how that goes and whether JJ wants to run with it. (I don't mean romantically. I just mean whether he wants to have them interact more/become friends.)

Yeah, I think the end of TLJ suggests that there'll probably be more interaction between the two, although we'll have to see how that goes and whether JJ wants to run with it. (I don't mean romantically. I just mean whether he wants to have them interact more/become friends.)
I'd much rather have a romance between those two than with Kylo

Last edited:
Is much rather have a romance between those two than with Kylo

Oh, I don't buy for a second that Rey is going to have a romance with Ben. I think, rather, that she understands him on a deeper level than most because of their shared experiences, and because in a weird way, they share the same personal difficulty of navigating their own identities, especially with respect to their relationship with the Force.

I've mentioned this elsewhere (I think in this thread?) but I think Rey and Ben are kind of mirror images of each other in terms of their journeys. They were both abandoned by their parents in a sense. Rey on Jakku, and Ben to the Jedi temple. Their paths were both dictated to them: Rey's by circumstance of just needing to survive; Ben's by virtue of all the expectations on him as the son of two heroes of the Republic, and the nephew of the leader of the Jedi (and later as the grandson of one of a Dark Lord of the Sith). Neither has ever really had choices in their lives in terms of determining their own identities or paths.

Where they part company is in two ways: (1) how they relate to the past, and (2) how they choose their paths in response to that relationship with the past.

For Ben, the past gave him an identity that he never wanted or chose. Ben wants to free himself of the "destiny" foisted upon from birth (I suspect) and so chooses to burn down the past. My guess is that he believes he can rebuild the galaxy -- and himself -- anew, once the past is destroyed. (Hint: that's not possible. You can never escape the past, and it's part of what makes Ben such a tragic figure, almost in a classical "Greek Tragedy" sense, actually.)

Rey looks to the past to provide her with an identity, which is exactly the opposite of what Ben does. Where Ben wants to escape the past so as to free himself from it, Rey is actively searching the past to provide her with exactly the kind of path, identity, and destiny that Ben has rejected. Instead, Rey finds nothing there but what she already knew: she is Rey. Her remarkableness in essence springs from nothing. She has no parentage of note. She's not part of any bloodline. She's just...Rey. And Rey chooses not to destroy the past, but to focus on protecting the present, while acknowledging the past too (as evidenced by her taking the Jedi texts with her).

What I find so interesting is how -- at least in TLJ -- each character wants what the other has initially. Rey wants to be part of a legacy. She wants there to be an easy answer as far as "Who am I and what am I to do?" Ben, on the other hand, wants the very freedom that Rey has; he wants to have no legacy, to have no past, and he's willing to let the galaxy burn to reach that goal. (Never mind that he's basically just following in his Grandfather's footsteps anyway by choosing that path.)

I know it's not Star Wars related, but still one of the coolest fights i've seen that wasn't even a final battle was between Neo and the Smiths in Matrix: Reloaded. If I remember right that sucker clocked in a good 6 minutes and was very interesting to watch!

Oh god that was the most boring thing ever put on film haha. Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. If I had to pick an engaging long fight, I'd have to go with the end of Kill Bill Vol 1.

Oh god that was the most boring thing ever put on film haha. Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. If I had to pick an engaging long fight, I'd have to go with the end of Kill Bill Vol 1.

I, too, found the fight sequences in Matrix: Reloaded to be really pretty boring after a while. I'm not sure what it was about them, but it felt like they lacked the dynamism of the fights in the first film. For example, when Neo fights the twins on the highway and such, it just felt...I dunno...stale? Dull? Something like that. It just went on and on without any sense of there being real stakes involved. The fight with all the Smith clones just felt over-the-top and too choreographed, to the point where the whole thing felt "fake" I guess. It looked like not-great CGI, which may have been due to limitations of the tech at the time.

The weird thing, though, is that compared to other films like TRON or even other sequences in the Matrix films (e.g. lobby shootout), again it just didn't feel real to me, or at least didn't leave me feeling like I cared any.

But yeah, like you say, what grabs you about this or that fight sequence must be a pretty individual thing. At least in terms of whether the visuals are interesting.

THat's what they said about George Lucas and the prequels....and we all know how that worked out......

Yeah, but you have to admit it's a different dynamic when you have The Boss for whom everyone else is working, and whose vision everyone else is simply supposed to execute vs. a group of people working collaboratively to tell an overall story.

THat's what they said about George Lucas and the prequels....and we all know how that worked out......

They made a gajillion dollars, spawned a publishing juggernaut, several successful video games, and a hit cartoon?

I think the PT is pretty crap, but they weren't unsuccessful by any sane rubric.

I am just referring to the movies...I agree with all the other items they spawned. Excellent. If Lucas could have made the movies as well as the animated series was made the prequels would have been the movies that set the bar for all other sci fi.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back