Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I know they will continue to limp on but another problem is another nail in the Star Wars coffin and KK is holding the hammer.

I'm still mystified as to why GL chose her. She oozes Hollywood, executive serpent, which is the very thing he abhorred. For something as personal too him as these films were, it just seems odd that he would entrust the company to someone cut from that cloth. I think he sees it, now. But, how did he miss it?

Interesting that Rian may have been initially considered for both 8 and 9.

Almost certainly just "insurance' - much in the same way actors are often signed for one or two sequels at the same time as signing for the first film (and well before anyone knows whether there might even be a sequel). I suspect JJ had the clout to refuse such a deal (even at the beginning of TFA he talked about how much he dreaded working a film that would take him out of the U.S. for any extended period.) Rian on the other hand - young director, still not in the big leagues at the time - I'm sure he didn't mind an option committing him to a second film being pushed into his contract if it meant he got to do Ep. 8. I think the plan was always as stated - three films, three different directors. But why not keep your options for that third film (6-7 years down the road at that point) open if you can get away with it?

Heck, there was talk that Felicity Jones was signed for a multi-picture deal for Rogue One . . .

M

I'm still mystified as to why GL chose her. She oozes Hollywood, executive serpent, which is the very thing he abhorred. For something as personal too him as these films were, it just seems odd that he would entrust the company to someone cut from that cloth. I think he sees it, now. But, how did he miss it?

Don't want to point you out directly but this type of comment is a bit silly. Kennedy has been nothing but successful with the Star Wars license and media. The movies have been a success and well liked by a majority. The story group has done a great job between film/tv/books/comics.

These types of changes happen for movies all the time we just have a laser eye focused on it because of fandom. I'm fine with them making director changes cause the group has earned my trust. I can see Rian doing Ep9 but would like a POC/women to take over if possible.

Considering GL has a long and very personal relationship with KK and you and I have never actually met the woman I would say George probably knows her well enough to have made that decision and I doubt he regrets it at all

My take is that KK seems like a strong hand at the helm. She's got a multi-billion dollar IP to shepherd, and I imagine that doesn't leave her a lot of wiggle room for risk taking. I don't think this is cause for panic. Very different than the Solo situation.

Yeah, I really think her relationship with Colin became problematic after Carrie's death and how to reconfigure the story at address that. I think that's where what LF wanted and what Colin wanted began to diverge.

Well I wouldn't panic either. I wasn't keen for CT anyway but I find it odd that Disney laid out its plan right from the hand over yet they don't have any outline for the overarching story of this new trilogy despite knocking them out at two year intervals. :facepalm

Considering GL has a long and very personal relationship with KK and you and I have never actually met the woman I would say George probably knows her well enough to have made that decision and I doubt he regrets it at all

Agreed. She’s had a long, close involvement with Lucas (and Spielberg), dating all the way back to Raiders of the Lost Ark. And she’s been involved with many, many of our other favorite films of the past 30-plus years, from E.T., Gremlins, Back to the Future and onward. And she obviously knows what it takes to make a successful film. So she’s obviously earned their trust and, I daresay, ours as well. (I would be tempted to go a bit further and say that the prequels might have been better had she been involved rather than McCallum – but she was involved in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, so there are obviously limits to even her ability to reign George in.)

My only concern with the director turnover is not a personal indictment of her - but, rather, as someone else pointed out, she’s charged with overseeing one of the most significant IPs in the world, one for which Disney paid billions of dollars. I don’t think she feels that gives her much leeway to “take a chance” when the rubber meets the road, as, at the end of the day, it’s on her shoulders to make sure Disney (and its shareholders) see their expected profit from the end product. So, yes, we hear a lot of talk about working with “bold new voices” – but she (understandably) gets cold feet down the line if those “bold new voices” start coloring outside the lines too much for her comfort. After all, she is a businesswoman and, whether we like it or not, she is ultimately tasked with producing a widget that will appeal to as many people as possible. I don’t envy her.

M

Agreed. She’s had a long, close involvement with Lucas (and Spielberg), dating all the way back to Raiders of the Lost Ark. And she’s been involved with many, many of our other favorite films of the past 30-plus years, from E.T., Gremlins, Back to the Future and onward. And she obviously knows what it takes to make a successful film. So she’s obviously earned their trust and, I daresay, ours as well. (I would be tempted to go a bit further and say that the prequels might have been better had she been involved rather than McCallum – but she was involved in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, so there are obviously limits to even her ability to reign George in.)

My only concern with the director turnover is not a personal indictment of her - but, rather, as someone else pointed out, she’s charged with overseeing one of the most significant IPs in the world, one for which Disney paid billions of dollars. I don’t think she feels that gives her much leeway to “take a chance” when the rubber meets the road, as, at the end of the day, it’s on her shoulders to make sure Disney (and its shareholders) see their expected profit from the end product. So, yes, we hear a lot of talk about working with “bold new voices” – but she (understandably) gets cold feet down the line if those “bold new voices” start coloring outside the lines too much for her comfort. After all, she is a businesswoman and, whether we like it or not, she is ultimately tasked with producing a widget that will appeal to as many people as possible. I don’t envy her.

M

100%. The long term health if this IP is entirely dependent on LF releasing films which are popular, both critically and from a general audience stand point, box office success, and continue to drive the brand value beyond the films. As of now she is batting 1000 on delivering that. Here in this tiny echo chamber of fans who spend every day discussing this it can seem more problematic and people share personal opinions as statements of fact but the reality of the health of the franchise is undeniably positive right now.

Don't want to point you out directly but this type of comment is a bit silly. Kennedy has been nothing but successful with the Star Wars license and media. The movies have been a success and well liked by a majority. The story group has done a great job between film/tv/books/comics.

These types of changes happen for movies all the time we just have a laser eye focused on it because of fandom. I'm fine with them making director changes cause the group has earned my trust. I can see Rian doing Ep9 but would like a POC/women to take over if possible.

You can point me out. I don't mind. It's not her record, but her persona I'm talking about. It's the very thing Lucas railed against, and still does to this day. And, given his attitude post-sale, his disappointment at them scrapping his treatments, I think I see in him the recognition that he made a mistake in terms of who to trust with the films. He's all but said as much.

Kathleen was not a corporate/studio suit until she was chosen to run Lucasfilm. She was a producer-- and one of the most successful ones out there considering she has all of Spielberg's hits under her belt. Lucas chose her because she was the right combination of business and creative.

She has one of the most difficult jobs in Hollywood, running arguably one of the biggest IPs in entertainment for the most powerful studio in the world. She has to walk the line between meeting the mouse's demands, spending their money with little oversight, and creatively steering the biggest ship in the ocean.

That can't be easy. I'll defend her every step of the way.

That said, the shake ups still fall on her. Even if the problem is the talent/directors not getting with the program, she's still the one that selected them in the first place. So even if you aren't being petty and just yelling at ol Kathy cause you're a mad fanboy cause TFA didn't have Ewoks or your beloved EU was wiped out-- whatever, at the end of the day, what's happening is still on her to an extent.

At least she's in a position to fix it-- which if she does, and the movies make money, her job will still be secure.

To be honest, shake ups like this happen constantly in Hollywood. Most movies get reshoots, in pre-production directors are swapped out, stars are replaced, it's very very common-- it just so happens that since it's Star Wars it's under a very big microscope.

Last edited:
I hadn't been in here to read this for a while, and just saw the comments with "KK" in it and thought "Oh god no, don't tell me Kim Kardashian has a part in this movie!!!" Then I saw what the initials were really for, and I was able to slowly back away from the edge of the roof and relax.

This uniformed speculation about how this franchised is being managed with an iron fist by KK is constantly contradicted by the people actually working on the films.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...on.html?referer=https://t.co/ivMmbxWQPf?amp=1

There is no hard and fast plan for these films, there does seem to be creative freedom to develop this story. That doesn't mean any director gets to call the shoots in what is made but it certainly demonstrates a willingness to allow a more free form approach...to a point.

New director confirmed!

Attachments

• IMG_4912.JPG
    IMG_4912.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 119
Just commenting so I can follow this thread more easily. Suppose it'll stay active for a while over the next days.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Internet is a constant parade of ill conceived baseless theories parading around as informed opinions. That's the very definition of being duped. :)

The internet, just like any other information source, contains truths and falsehoods. You just have trouble sorting them out. Either that, or you're a Disney-paid shill.

Time to 'fess up, Bryan. Which is it? Pollyanna? Or shill?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back