Subscribe
  1. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Mar 11, 2018, 5:32 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #826

sztriki said: View Post
    []

For it to be a proper, tied-up-with-a-bow end, Empire, Republic, Resistance, First Order, Jedi, Sith... All of it needs to end. Break the cycle. Create something new that isn't driven by past hatreds, but is still informed by an awareness and acknowledgement of that past. The Empire was already a teeth-pulled remnant. The First Order took out the Republic government. Their own primary weapon and command ship have been lost. The Resistance has been decimated. It's a good set up to wiping the rest of the slate clean.

I would like Rey to have some rather large struggles, and a massive moral decision to make almost like a damned if you do and damned if you don’t one. That would be un-Star Warsy given the simple good vs evil but if executed well I think it could work. I also want a proper love story thread, I kinda expected Laura Dern ending up with Poe but I guess it’s not fashionable these days. And no, Rose and Finn were not a proper love story.
    I also want Kylo Ren to have an unexpected conclusion. At this point he either dies as an evil enemy or redeems and dies like Vader. Don’t know what the third route could be, I think the Snape-arc wouldn’t work but I don’t have anything specific in mind.

My expectations and enthusiasm and general interest are minimal though, but the topic is still up for discussion.
    I think they will move forward with a romantic relationship for Finn and Rose. I would like to see Rey become a version of Jedi we haven't seen before, think more Qui-gon less Obi-wan. I think IX needs to put her out in the galaxy free from any of the previous Jedi dogma and I think we will learn more about why the Force has selected her to be who she is. Kylo is a tough one, I don't think I can see an outcome her survives but I am unsure what his death will mean, either redemptive or simply as a bad dude.
    Mar 11, 2018, 6:24 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #827

Bryancd said: View Post
    I think they will move forward with a romantic relationship for Finn and Rose. I would like to see Rey become a version of Jedi we haven't seen before, think more Qui-gon less Obi-wan. I think IX needs to put her out in the galaxy free from any of the previous Jedi dogma and I think we will learn more about why the Force has selected her to be who she is. Kylo is a tough one, I don't think I can see an outcome her survives but I am unsure what his death will mean, either redemptive or simply as a bad dude.
    I’m not sure what Jedi dogma was the one that had to be purged. That was one of the things I didn’t get in TLJ. Considering that the prequel Jedi order was gone (kidnapped at the age of 3 and forbidden to love etc) the only thing Luke faced as a Jedi is staying away from the dark side. So not sure what would be the big paradigm shift at that point that hasn’t happened.
    I wouldn’t mind a bittersweet ending, probably Kylo will have some importance or link where he won’t be just killable. Something like how Harry Potter ended but without Harry coming back from the death. Dunno how Star Warsy that would be but I just really really don’t want another campfire celebration after blowing up a superweapon.
  3. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Mar 11, 2018, 7:02 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #828

I’m not sure what Jedi dogma was the one that had to be purged. That was one of the things I didn’t get in TLJ. Considering that the prequel Jedi order was gone (kidnapped at the age of 3 and forbidden to love etc) the only thing Luke faced as a Jedi is staying away from the dark side. So not sure what would be the big paradigm shift at that point that hasn’t happened.
    I wouldn’t mind a bittersweet ending, probably Kylo will have some importance or link where he won’t be just killable. Something like how Harry Potter ended but without Harry coming back from the death. Dunno how Star Warsy that would be but I just really really don’t want another campfire celebration after blowing up a superweapon.
    Well we know the PT Jedi and Luke both structured the Jedi around an organization, a Temple or Academy. I would like to see Rey get away from that and allow a more spiritual version of the Living Force to flourish without boundaries. Maybe she ends up back on Jakku but with a happier life. I’m with you, no big celebrations but just smaller more intimate moments and endings that can really resonate.
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Mar 11, 2018, 7:04 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #829

I donít understand, you complain (rightly) that thereís only ep8 discussion in the ep9 thread and you donít want to speculate? What else would there be in an ep9 thread?
    There are too many objective possibilities, I have not been privy to any of the story/brainstorming sessions, no one involved has said boo, I have no data at all to go on. I could fill pages with what I would do -- starting with expanding this arc (as with the others) out to six films, so the story actually has the room to grow and develop organically. As it is, I'm only going to discuss what's been said in interviews, shown at conventions, etc., and only speculate once we have even a smidgen of a hint of the direction the people making it are taking the story. As it is, we don't even know yet if IX is picking up immediately after VIII or is going to be several to many years later.

--Jonah
  5. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Mar 11, 2018, 7:07 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #830

Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    There are too many objective possibilities, I have not been privy to any of the story/brainstorming sessions, no one involved has said boo, I have no data at all to go on. I could fill pages with what I would do -- starting with expanding this arc (as with the others) out to six films, so the story actually has the room to grow and develop organically. As it is, I'm only going to discuss what's been said in interviews, shown at conventions, etc., and only speculate once we have even a smidgen of a hint of the direction the people making it are taking the story. As it is, we don't even know yet if IX is picking up immediately after VIII or is going to be several to many years later.

--Jonah
    For sure, and I have been trying to post pertinent links to Ep. IX related news stories only to have the usual suspects chime in with a page or two of TLJ hate and insults which do nothing to move this particular conversation forward.
  6. RPF Premium Member Psab keel's Avatar
    Mar 11, 2018, 11:28 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #831

Oh, I'm not leaving. It'd just be great to come in here and find actual discussion about Episode IX, rather than post after post chewing old soup as far as "everything wrong with Episode VIII". While I wasn't thrilled with the execution of the previous episode -- and the new trilogy in general -- I'm staying engaged because it's what we've got. Y'all wanna go in circles about everything they're doing wrong and what it ought to have been, fine. It's just not really contributing anything to the discussion, especially for the forthcoming next chapter. There are several threads currently expressly for people to bang on about how LFL/KK/JJ/RJ/etc. have screwed everything up. Many user names in the last three pages I have seen raising the same points again and again over the last several months in multiple threads. We get it. I gave my own general and specific critique of TLJ -- over in its thread -- back in December, plus a couple follow-on thoughts as they occurred to me. I am not going to repeat myself every time the "anti" camp raise the same already-discussed points. The only thing I could do beyond not bothering wold be to pist links to the specific posts I made weeks and months ago, as my opinion hasn't been altered by the "it sucks" chorus. One wonders why those so vehemently agaisnt the films keep saying the same things over and over. We heard you the first time. And the second. And the tenth. You're not going to win converts, and no one from Lucasfilm is going to be reading your posts and suddenly realize the error of their ways.

So.

I'll keep looking in from time to time to see if someone is actually discussing Episode IX without puking all over the new films or anyone who dares to support them in even the slightest degree. Have fun yelling into the void.

--Jonah

P.S. I'm one of the ones planning to buy TLJ on BluRay when it comes out. I'm helping one friend with a Rey costume and another with a Resistance pilot costume, and am doing a First Order Stormtrooer, myself. While I don't like everything, I am having fun regardless.
    I've been incredibly vocal about my hatred for the film but I have never attacked anyone personally for liking or even loving it. I also have no intention of changing anyone's mind about how they feel either. All of my opinions are just that, my opinions.

The reason I keep harping on it is because I as much as I wish I didn't care so much about the series, I really do, and I truly hate the direction they are pushing it in. When you're passionate about something you fight for it, even when you know the fight is already lost. Posting about it is just my way to come to terms with it and vent some frustration, maybe even elicit a laugh at my absurdity.

If you love The Last Jedi, more power to you and if you wish to buy the movie and make props and costumes from the movie, I honestly envy you. I wish I felt the same way, I sincerely do. But I don't feel that way and I'm fine with agreeing that we may never see eye to eye.

Sure discussing the latest episode may not be "contributing" directly to the discussion of 9, but considering that it's the latest installment and that 7, 8, and 9 are supposed to be an interlinked trilogy I think it goes without saying that the previous two films are going to come up. A lot. Especially when it's still so early on and 9 hasn't even begun filming yet. There is little to no news other than fan speculation and a predominant part of the conversation is going to revolve around TFA and TLJ because fans debate what we may or may not see in relation to the events in those movies. So to say that complaining about TLJ is just fans whining, then wouldn't it also be fair to say that fans defending it isn't much different? That IS the debate.

No matter what ANY of us say, Lucasfilm, Disney, Rian Johnson, J. J. Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, and George Lucas don't care. They simply don't care what any of us think. They don't read these forums. Our opinions are not going to shape the way they choose to run their business. They are going to do whatever they want to do, however they want to do it.

It would be nice if Episode 9 wraps things up in a meaningful way and that it will restore my faith in the series as a whole. Maybe I will be wrong about these new films. I can admit that but I'm not putting any hope in that idea and in the mean time I'm just coming to accept that the Original Trilogy is what matters most to me.

If you loved TLJ and can't wait until 9, I wish I felt the same way. I really do.
    Last edited by Psab keel; Mar 12, 2018 at 12:45 AM.
    From
    Terra Australis
    Mar 12, 2018, 1:01 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #832

Psab keel said: View Post
    No matter what ANY of us say, Lucasfilm, Disney, Rian Johnson, J. J. Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, and George Lucas don't care. They simply don't care what any of us think. They don't read these forums. Our opinions are not going to shape the way they choose to run their business. They are going to do whatever they want to do, however they want to do it.
    I doubt very much that anyone is voicing their feelings to attract the attention of any of them, as someone mentioned earlier, its a good form of therapy at best. Pertinent links Bryan, please, your just a promoter.
  8. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Mar 12, 2018, 5:55 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #833

Honestly, I didn't love TLJ. But also don't hate it so much it ruined Star Wars for me. While I have little interest in Solo, I'm sure I'll be there opening night for Episode IX, if only to see how JJ digs himself out of the hole that Riann dug.
    Mar 12, 2018, 7:18 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #834

I really disliked TLJ the first time I saw it. I waited quite a while before attempting to watch it again. I think my biggest problem with this film was the preconceived notions I developed over the two years between 7 & 8. My biggest complaint was with Rey's incredible power and the Luke story arc. However, as far a s Luke is concerned, when I went back and really paid attention to what was being said, vs. what I was seeing, I understood it better. This is just my opinion, but my view has drastically changed from my first viewing. I still have some problems with it, but RJ certainly did what he said he would and that was give us something new, which I am warming up to. I cannot change it, so I either accept it or turn my back on a piece of the series that has brought me a lot of joy for 42 years. All because I initially hated one episode the first time I saw it (which I now do not).

So, as far as I am concerned, I will continue to enjoy all SW (including this one) and give them an opportunity to thrill me with 9. One thing I will certainly try not to do this time around is speculate (as much) and get wrapped up in all of the theories that led me into the TLJ only to leave me disappointed.

Some will disagree and stand pat on their current opinion and that is ok. We cannot all expect to like it. Keep in perspective there are now 8 movies in this series. Is there any franchise with 8 films heading towards 9 (not counting stand alone stories) that we all liked? But we can discuss them and take away some tidbits of each others opinion and progress forward.

I do recommend (especially die hard fans) to watch it again forgetting the things you expected and really listening to the story rather than just watching it.

Unlearn what you have learned, don't always look to the horizon and keep your mind on where we are, what we are doing! ~ Yoda (paraphrased a bit)
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Mar 12, 2018, 9:39 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #835

My take on Ep.IX ... It doesn’t matter what’s made , shot or shown . Before the film ends , everyone dies ... Everyone and everything . The End .

Then another Big Bang occurs in that universe , and Rian Johnson comes along with his super dooper , insanely brilliant , beautifully crafted and realised trilogy , he’s so clever after all - saving Star Wars !!!

YAY .
    From
    Burlington Vermont U.S.A.
    Mar 12, 2018, 12:40 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #836

Episode 9: Rey spontaneously gets pregnant by the Force and gives birth to the new Chosen One 'cause she don't need no man.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Mar 12, 2018, 9:50 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #837

TheMechanic said: View Post
    Episode 9: Rey spontaneously gets pregnant by the Force and gives birth to the new Chosen One 'cause she don't need no man.
    You. You stop giving them ideas.

Disney top execs browsing the RPF for ideas right meow...
    It could work.jpg
    From
    Mar 12, 2018, 9:55 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #838

Oh, and regarding the one bit of recent "news" I referred to before...

Bryan, try not to post non-journalistic click-bait. That was cringe-worthy. They asked Domhnall about his role in IX, and he said since JJ only just finished the script, none of the actors had gotten notification of when they'd be needed yet. His jokey remark that he didn't even know if he was in the film was taken waaaaaaaay too literally by the "journalist".

--Jonah
  14. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Mar 13, 2018, 7:22 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #839

Oh, and regarding the one bit of recent "news" I referred to before...

Bryan, try not to post non-journalistic click-bait. That was cringe-worthy. They asked Domhnall about his role in IX, and he said since JJ only just finished the script, none of the actors had gotten notification of when they'd be needed yet. His jokey remark that he didn't even know if he was in the film was taken waaaaaaaay too literally by the "journalist".

--Jonah
    I agree but it was all I could find to try and post something relevant to IX to get people to at least discuss the right film! The script has been done since Dec. and shooting starts in July so it’s not unreasonable to think actors are being contacted now. I believe Hux will be back.
    Last edited by Bryancd; Mar 13, 2018 at 8:00 AM.
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:09 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #840

Unreasonable? not at all.

It'd be irresponsible to not have contacted them by now frankly as they have to make their schedules, etc.
    From
    Santa Rosa, CA.
    Mar 18, 2018, 12:08 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #841

So what's the deal with Wedge? Is he still alive?
    Just trying to think of what OT characters are left in the E9 timeline.
    So far I can think of:
    Lando
    Wedge
    Nien Numb (not sure if he was another off screen casualty in TLJ)
    Although it seems like their treating these OT guys like red shirts in Star Trek now.
    From
    Mar 18, 2018, 3:02 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #842

Wedge got injured in a bomb blast that was meant to take out the New Republic leadership about a year after Endor, but before the Battle of Jakku. Screwed his leg up enough that he might -- at the time -- never fly in combat again. He didn't like the idea of "flying a desk", but what ultimately happened still has yet to be laid out. Far as we know, he's still alive.

Lando reclaimed Cloud City. Beyond that, we don't know anything.

Mon Mothma is retired, but as of five years before TFA was still alive.

Boba's armor was found by Jawas. No further hints about him.

Nien Nunb is one of the survivors of Crait on the Millennium Falcon at the end of TLJ.

No word on folks like Cracken or Madine or Rieekan or similar that I know of.

Hera and Sabine are around shortly after ROTJ, but I have a feeling their story will be picked up in the not-too-distant future. Whether either of them, or Thrawn, or Ezra, or Hera and Canan's son Jacen are still around in the current setting, no one yet knows.

--Jonah
    From
    Terra Australis
    Mar 18, 2018, 6:52 AM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #843

Nitz146 said: View Post
    Although it seems like their treating these OT guys like red shirts in Star Trek now.
    The only one left that hasn`t been been ripped to shreds in this ST disaster so far is Lando. There is still time for them to make him look stupid or kill him off as well in Ep Nein I suppose though.

If Disney had any kind of plan moving forward, Kenobi would be the film opening this May, then bring back Lando in Ep Nein and have him relevant for the Solo movie. Too bad huh.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Mar 18, 2018, 2:44 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #844

Just watching GotG v2 again,...cool designs,...developing characters,...coherent storyline,.....fun!!

What Star Wars used to be before it died

J
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    Mar 18, 2018, 3:19 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #845

Jaitea said: View Post
    Just watching GotG v2 again,...cool designs,...developing characters,...coherent storyline,.....fun!!

What Star Wars used to be before it died

J
    Both GOTG movies are far superior to anything new SW has done.
    Mar 18, 2018, 3:19 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #846

Where'd all this come from?

Wedge got injured in a bomb blast that was meant to take out the New Republic leadership about a year after Endor, but before the Battle of Jakku. Screwed his leg up enough that he might -- at the time -- never fly in combat again. He didn't like the idea of "flying a desk", but what ultimately happened still has yet to be laid out. Far as we know, he's still alive.

Lando reclaimed Cloud City. Beyond that, we don't know anything.

Mon Mothma is retired, but as of five years before TFA was still alive.

Boba's armor was found by Jawas. No further hints about him.

Nien Nunb is one of the survivors of Crait on the Millennium Falcon at the end of TLJ.

No word on folks like Cracken or Madine or Rieekan or similar that I know of.

Hera and Sabine are around shortly after ROTJ, but I have a feeling their story will be picked up in the not-too-distant future. Whether either of them, or Thrawn, or Ezra, or Hera and Canan's son Jacen are still around in the current setting, no one yet knows.

--Jonah
    From
    Mar 18, 2018, 4:37 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #847

The Wedge, Lando, and Boba stuff is from the Aftermath trilogy. Mon Mothma spoke out in support of Leia after her parentage was revealed in Bloodline. We saw Nien in those last shots on the Falcon in TLJ. And the Rebels characters we know from both Sabine's post-ROTJ epilogue on the Rebels finale, and from the Forces of Destiny series.
    Mar 18, 2018, 6:05 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #848

Nitz146 said: View Post
    So what's the deal with Wedge? Is he still alive?
    Just trying to think of what OT characters are left in the E9 timeline.
    So far I can think of:
    Lando
    Wedge
    Nien Numb (not sure if he was another off screen casualty in TLJ)
    Agreed - bizarre that after paying 4B for the world built by the OT characters - Disney and LFL both seem to be fine with the telling them to get the hell out and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  24. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Mar 18, 2018, 6:44 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #849

cboath said: View Post
    Agreed - bizarre that after paying 4B for the world built by the OT characters - Disney and LFL both seem to be fine with the telling them to get the hell out and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    OT characters have diminishing value to newer audiences.
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    Mar 18, 2018, 6:51 PM - Re: STAR WARS Episode IX #850

OT characters have diminishing value to newer audiences.
    Good God man....