Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Not entirely certain.
I know that the late Xmas release dates have not translated well in terms of toy sales, hence the massive cuts in price of "Rogue One" stuff after a very short space of time in the shops. But the whole toy industry is kind of suffering at the moment with traditional toys taking a beating in this digital age.
Given Marvels heavy release schedule of films they may push one of these back a little into the Xmas slot.
But given we have now had the new Avatar movies release dates ,thats the likely reason, but they will not kick into the Xmas slots for quite a while and they are going to be spaced out in December 2020,2021,2024,2025. So maybe they are moving now to avoid a conflict of interest.
They are going to have to move like lighting to get IX done though and no reshoots. Thats a damn tight schedule.

I'm still not certain why they moved it to May, given the success of Ep7 and Rogue One in a December release. The new date is now only 3 weeks after Avengers 4, which makes no sense. Avatar 2 doesn't release until Dec 2020, so that's not why they moved it. Frozen 2 now has a late Nov release but Ep9 would've been fine opening 3 weeks after Frozen. Animated films usually have long legs and a Frozen sequel would still be raking it in through most of Jan even with a Star Wars release in Dec.

What I suspect may happen in the coming months is Marvel will announce a new date for Avengers 4. They've already disclosed 3 & 4 won't film at the same time, so postponing the movie to say late summer would buy Marvel Studios more time. Marvel could even take Ep9's old slot but they've never released in Dec and that's a hefty gamble with an Avengers film. Nevertheless it would be interesting to see if the Avengers franchise is as solid as Star Wars when it comes to release dates.

and here i go thinking I'm going to officially start the episode 9 thread the day of the release of ep8... bryan beats me to it once again... only by a few years :thumbsup

It's always been a May/Memorial Day Weekend thing. OT and PT. TFA was only December because it couldn't be done by May, and for some reason they didn't want to delay it til May of the following year. I remember also that early on they were going to try to have Rogue One out in May to get things back on track, but I think the reshoots nixed that.

--Jonah

They've had every opportunity to push XI and the Han Solo flick back and they haven't. With the December releases being as successful as they have been - you'd think it would've been a no brainer for them to make December the new Star Wars release month... but, they're resisted that.

It just seems that if they were going to do make the move, they would've just went and done it already. The only thing that might change is if Han underperforms in his May release and then Disney decides to push IX to December.

I'm not saying that they won't do it, I just think they would've already.

Isn't it said that Spielberg was supposed to direct ROTJ but SAG held him back because it was an independent production? Or am I going crazy?

Interestingly Jack Thorne wrote a new adaptation of"Woyzeck" for the "Old Vic Theatre" in 2017 which starred (of course) "John Boyega". His work is pretty widely praised for hitting the right emotional notes and moments with complex often morally challenged characters, so I guess in the context of what probably needs to happen in IX he is the right guy. So maybe he is polishing the script as opposed to rewriting it completely, given that IX starts shooting in January 2018. This makes more sense to me, he is a strong dialogue man.

I expected some rewrites of IX due to Carrie's absence, but that alone doesn't explain why they had to bring in someone new.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back