Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Really? No substantive discussions? Do you listen to Star Wars podcasts or follow folks like Bryan Young on social media? My Twitter feed is lousy with very in depth conversations and links to blogs and the podcast community has had some remarkable discussions. Not always positive but always very compelling.

Substantive regarding 8? I confess I have not reached out to these things, but you're right, I've cherry-picked my sources. Once I saw the Jedi Council boards turn to crickets, I figured I was justified in reaching out exclusively to "This is why it sucks" type of stuff. Confirmation bias, I confess. Not fair, but I knew nothing was going to sway me at that point. :-\

Substantive regarding 8? I confess I have not reached out to these things, but you're right, I've cherry-picked my sources. Once I saw the Jedi Council boards turn to crickets, I figured I was justified in reaching out exclusively to "This is why it sucks" type of stuff. Confirmation bias, I confess. Not fair, but I knew nothing was going to sway me at that point. :-\

Faur enough, just pointing out there’s some great discussions ongoing in social media and general media. The Steele Wars podcast had a terrific panel discussion show featuring director Kyle Newman and Entertainment Tonight’s reporter Anthony Breznican and Rebel Force Radio has a guest on last week discussing the Buddhist influences in TLJ, it was fascinating.

I'm holding you to this. :)

Without rehashing my many criticisms, the one undeniable fact whether you're a fan or not, is that 8 has no resonance. No one talks about the film substantively; any dialogue is resigned to argument, which I myself get too involved in, and end up hating myself for it. Not even so much because I hated the film (I did), but more the lack of interest I feel in SW in general, and not really knowing if it's the fault of the film specifically, the fault of how the genre is handled, the fault of Hollywood in general, or just where I'm at as an "adult". Hate that. :-\

"Box office" is the result of a previous film in a series, as much as anything. It kinda pisses me off that there will be no litmus test to really establish 8's detrimental effect on the saga, since everyone will be clamoring to see the story wrap up, regardless if they liked 8 or not. Can't tell you how crappy it feels, admitting I wouldn't mind a SW movie tanking, just to get some of these people out of power.

Would you have ever thought it possible that the name Star Wars would have to removed from a future movie title so as to not damage box office further?
There`s your litmus test right there to establish the detrimental effect TLJ has had on the saga. You wont find a better one.

Would you have ever thought it possible that the name Star Wars would have to removed from a future movie title so as to not damage box office further?
There`s your litmus test right there to establish the detrimental effect TLJ has had on the saga. You wont find a better one.

China is a terrible litmus test, IMO. They don't seem to know a good movie from a bad one according to what the Chinese spend their yen on (at least as far as Western releases go). Blade Runner 2049 bombed spectacularly there, too - and it was my favorite movie of 2017. Granted, BR2049 was no Fast and Furious or Transformers, but that's a good thing, right?

China is a terrible litmus test, IMO. They don't seem to know a good movie from a bad one according to what the Chinese spend their yen on (at least as far as Western releases go). Blade Runner 2049 bombed spectacularly there, too - and it was my favorite movie of 2017. Granted, BR2049 was no Fast and Furious or Transformers, but that's a good thing, right?

Unfortunately BR 2049 didnt do well anywhere and that is hailed as a magnificent movie, by me as well. TFA and R1 did tremendously well in China.

Unfortunately BR 2049 didnt do well anywhere and that is hailed as a magnificent movie, by me as well. TFA and R1 did tremendously well in China.

Not really. TFA $124M, R1 $69M with two known Chinese actors. Zootopia made $225M in China in 2016. That’s trenendous.

Well that result more than covered the cost of production which meant the rest of the world box office was pure profit. Think you can label that a major success. I`m pretty sure R1 made more than that, so the same applies to that.

Well that result more than covered the cost of production which meant the rest of the world box office was pure profit. Think you can label that a major success. I`m pretty sure R1 made more than that, so the same applies to that.

Your comment was factually incorrect, you now stand corrected without trying to equivocate an analogy regarding production budgets. Moving on..,

Your comment was factually incorrect, you now stand corrected without trying to equivocate an analogy regarding production budgets. Moving on..,

I forget. Does a movie have to make two, or three, times it's production costs before it's considered a financial success?

I forget. Does a movie have to make two, or three, times it's production costs before it's considered a financial success?

From the studio’s standpoint break even is sometimes a relief. For the distributor responsible for all the marketing on top of that a 2X multiple is a good place to be.

Assumng a $225M production budget TLG earned a 5.75X multiplier.

Last edited:
This movie will start with Bobby Ewing in the shower, TLJ was all a bad dream.[emoji38]

JJ`s gunna rip Ruin Johnson a new one with this movie.
How about, it just starts with Luke doing a head jerk movement as if shaking off the entire events of TLJ as a vision of how terribly things could go, if he doesn't join the fight.... Then we're back to him taking the saber. Not that even that, could save the movies now.

I hate to use the word retcon but its gunna be a retcon.:lol

i love JJ but this is what i fear... one director having his story thrown out in the sequel, only to do damage control and try and bring it all back in the sequel of the sequel... idk... im not even excited for this movie anymore. star wars pretty much died to me, like ive said before "im in it for the props"

hated last jedi but loved the props

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back