Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Very true... but I dont think he counted on the amount of backlash the film was going to generate..

That sort of thing has never bothered him before. LOST, Star Trek, Cloverfield. All of those are things he's connected to and fans blame him for mucking up one thing about them or another. He still does whatever he's going to do. Whether you agree with it or not, thats what a good storyteller should do. They should stick to their vision of how the story is supposed to go.

That sort of thing has never bothered him before. LOST, Star Trek, Cloverfield. All of those are things he's connected to and fans blame him for mucking up one thing about them or another. He still does whatever he's going to do. Whether you agree with it or not, thats what a good storyteller should do. They should stick to their vision of how the story is supposed to go.

I agree with you wholeheartedly! You're never going to make everybody happy. With that being said, the TFA story-line seemed to be completely disregarded and was such a disconnect from TLJ it was very confusing considering the number of plot points established in TFA.

He wasn't much involved with the lost story after the first season. Not sure how much he had to do with the first either. Lost and Cloverfield don't have a fraction of the fanbase of SW either and none were done where there was an avenue to address any criticism. Trek is a bit different, but I don't recall the criticism from fans being anything close to what happened with SW either. He also turned it over to to others for the subsequent installments. So, this is basically his first chance to address the criticisms/backlash first hand in story.

Doesn't mean he'll try to appease anyone, doesn't mean he won't. It is a very different situation than anything he faced before.

My point was, he just doesn't seem to be that type of person. He's taken a lot of heat in the past, deserved or not, yet it doesn't really seem to have changed things. Even with the projects you mention where he wasn't one of the day to day shotcallers, when people criticize those things, he takes a lion share of the blame. As an active EP, he could totally make changes if he wanted to. He doesn't seem to have ever really done that, though. I doubt he'll start now.

My point was, he just doesn't seem to be that type of person. He's taken a lot of heat in the past, deserved or not, yet it doesn't really seem to have changed things. Even with the projects you mention where he wasn't one of the day to day shotcallers, when people criticize those things, he takes a lion share of the blame. As an active EP, he could totally make changes if he wanted to. He doesn't seem to have ever really done that, though. I doubt he'll start now.

Whether he feels the heat or not... I just hope the next installment deals with many of the plot points that were handed to us in TFA - unless they have in fact been completely wiped out. If so... jeez... you wipe out the EU then wipe clean the very movie that establishes a new story line? It doesn't really make much sense unless I'm thinking too hard! ;)

I go back to what I said / feel; the Han Solo story line ended with HS giving us one more adventure. I thought his ending was powerful. The Skywalker timeline, if this is truly the end, went out with a fizzle. It totally fell flat. A complete and total dud. I think many of us wanted to see LS be more of a mentor to Rey. Heck, have him start out to be a "crazy old fool" but then slowly warm up to Rey. Obi Wan had one more fight with DV... I think the fan base not only wanted to see LS back in action but also expected it. Han got his adventure.

These might be rehashes of other thoughts and opinions. If so, I do apologize. I really think they need to correct course (even if just a little) and make EP9 close loop, give LS one more adventure, if possible, and then hand the torch off.

I just hope the next installment deals with many of the plot points that were handed to us in TFA

Yeah, your guess is as good as mine. For me. Star Wars is really only the OT. Thats all I personally need. All the rest thats come since is stuff I can take or leave. Doesn't affect how I feel about Star Wars in general at all. If someone comes along and creates really well done, new Star Wars stuff (film, tv show, book, etc) , then great. If its crap, I still have the OT.

Yeah, your guess is as good as mine. For me. Star Wars is really only the OT. Thats all I personally need. All the rest thats come since is stuff I can take or leave. Doesn't affect how I feel about Star Wars in general at all. If someone comes along and creates really well done, new Star Wars stuff (film, tv show, book, etc) , then great. If its crap, I still have the OT.

Despite TFA being a slight rehash of the OT, I really enjoyed it. And Rogue One was another hit! The PT are for a rainy day if there is nothing else on. Admittedly, I've only seen TLJ once in the theaters and I, being SW fan, will buy it when it comes out on DVD. My opinion might change after another viewing because I might have missed something. I hope... ;)

A clever subversion would have been to have Rey be the catalyst for Luke. He is a crazy melancholic old hermit and her persistence and attitude brings him to a point where he is ready to be a mentor again. She brings him out of his self-imposed exile so he can give back to the galaxy again. She gains something from it, he gains something from it, it keeps her in the spotlight, and Luke is redeemed in such a way that allows him to keep going.

The way it is written currently is just an inflated, poorly-written rewrite of OWK- Mentor making the sacrifice to ignite the protagonist.

He wasn't much involved with the lost story after the first season. Not sure how much he had to do with the first either.
Lost and Cloverfield don't have a fraction of the fanbase of SW either and none were done where there was an avenue to address any criticism. Trek is a bit different, but I don't recall the criticism from fans being anything close to what happened with SW either. He also turned it over to to others for the subsequent installments. So, this is basically his first chance to address the criticisms/backlash first hand in story.

Doesn't mean he'll try to appease anyone, doesn't mean he won't. It is a very different situation than anything he faced before.

from what ive read, JJ only wrote the pilot episodes (ep1+2) and the episode where jacob and MIB mother washes ashore, she gives birth and that woman kills her, and takes jacob and MIB as her own... i dont know the influences he had in the rest of the series... but i do remember he only wrote technically 3 episodes..

would love to know how much he was truly involved with that series.. in all honesty i dont think too much :(

There wasn't any backlash over any of the mentioned things until they were complete. He can't address/not address the backlash in story form when there hasn't been story after the fact for him to address it with. This is different in that 1. the backlash isn't anything he really did and 2. he has a chance to address that in story form for the first time.

There was plenty of backlash during LOST. He was EP. He could have easily implemented changes had he decided they were necessary. Instead he went to bat for his showrunners and stood up to the network for their vision of how the show should carry out. And even though I haven't followed it as closely, there seemed to be plenty of criticism towards him between each Trek film that, had he chosen to do so, could've led him to caving to the fickle whims of the fanboys. Again, my point is he doesn't do that. Its unlikely he'll do it now. Thats all I'm saying. I don't understand the back and forth on this.

@cboath and @JoeG yeah, there's is never anyway we will ever know the truth. I still am very much with Joe for a couple of reasons. I posted how much JJ objectively loved Rian's script. I don't think anyone can make a case to the contraray based on his comments. I have also pointed out that despite some heated discussion online, LucasFilm is thrilled to have the 2017 number one global box office champ with TLJ. I know that bugs people who hated it but it's a fact. I can assure everyone Bob Igor isn't berating KK on the phone to "fix this". He's thrilled with the results. JJ will be under no corporate pressure to "fix thongs" either. He will be under pressure to make the top grossing film of 2019 but not directly, simply because that has been the pattern. He will push this a number of years into the future ahead of TLJ, Mark Hammill is signed for IX and he can run with that, and have fun writing this conclusion.

@cboath and @JoeG yeah, there's is never anyway we will ever know the truth. I still am very much with Joe for a couple of reasons. I posted how much JJ objectively loved Rian's script. I don't think anyone can make a case to the contraray based on his comments. I have also pointed out that despite some heated discussion online, LucasFilm is thrilled to have the 2017 number one global box office champ with TLJ. I know that bugs people who hated it but it's a fact. I can assure everyone Bob Igor isn't berating KK on the phone to "fix this". He's thrilled with the results. JJ will be under no corporate pressure to "fix thongs" either. He will be under pressure to make the top grossing film of 2019 but not directly, simply because that has been the pattern. He will push this a number of years into the future ahead of TLJ, Mark Hammill is signed for IX and he can run with that, and have fun writing this conclusion.

When has a business owner ever been satisfied with the amount of money it made?
Rather the more money it could have made? Yes, I believe they will change things up to capture and to make the potential larger amount of money it could have made.

Admittedly, I've only seen TLJ once in the theaters and I, being SW fan, will buy it when it comes out on DVD. My opinion might change after another viewing because I might have missed something. I hope... ;)

I think on the surface TLJ is a really fun movie. I have seen it six times now and every time I watch it i come out of it thinking "Yea, that's good movie". However, after I start digesting later what just saw it starts to disappoint me again. Very weird for a movie to do that. Hopefully you'll like it better after after a second showing. I really wanted to like this movie but I've given up after 6 attempts. Not sure I'll get it on DVD yet either. Good luck!

There was plenty of backlash during LOST. He was EP. He could have easily implemented changes had he decided they were necessary. Instead he went to bat for his showrunners and stood up to the network for their vision of how the show should carry out. And even though I haven't followed it as closely, there seemed to be plenty of criticism towards him between each Trek film that, had he chosen to do so, could've led him to caving to the fickle whims of the fanboys. Again, my point is he doesn't do that. Its unlikely he'll do it now. Thats all I'm saying. I don't understand the back and forth on this.

Exactly especially backed disney's/lucasfilm's/Kathleen Kennedy's/Rian Johnson's attitude of "if they don't like it, give 'em the ol' middle finger".

A clever subversion would have been to have Rey be the catalyst for Luke. He is a crazy melancholic old hermit and her persistence and attitude brings him to a point where he is ready to be a mentor again. She brings him out of his self-imposed exile so he can give back to the galaxy again. She gains something from it, he gains something from it, it keeps her in the spotlight, and Luke is redeemed in such a way that allows him to keep going.

The way it is written currently is just an inflated, poorly-written rewrite of OWK- Mentor making the sacrifice to ignite the protagonist.

I agree with you 100%!!! Another added push to help Luke would be sensing Leia's death. I thought seeing Leia drifting in space would have been a very angelic way of saying good bye to both Carrie Fisher and Leia. Have her simply drift into the blackness of space the same way Han fell into light. Why not use her death to help push Luke out of being that crazy old hermit and get back on track? It would have made so much more sense.

I understand there would have been reshoots but the passing of CF left a HUGE gaping plot hole in how they move forward with 9.

I agree with you 100%!!! Another added push to help Luke would be sensing Leia's death. I thought seeing Leia drifting in space would have been a very angelic way of saying good bye to both Carrie Fisher and Leia. Have her simply drift into the blackness of space the same way Han fell into light. Why not use her death to help push Luke out of being that crazy old hermit and get back on track? It would have made so much more sense.

I understand there would have been reshoots but the passing of CF left a HUGE gaping plot hole in how they move forward with 9.

Agreed... not to mention they could have further plot-pushed Kylo's anguish / rage by having him choose to NOT take out his mom... and then the reality hits that his tie-guards take her out anyways. What a missed opportunity to kill so many birds with one stone.

We have all gone back and forth, sometimes heated, sometimes subtle. I dont want to see this thread go to the TLJ thread. So whats next? Any inside information would be helpful. I want ep IX to be a good one, for both the new and old. Is there a way?

Don’t know if this is old news but the Star Wars show has a clip from a few deleted scenes, one including Rey running with the light saber, part of the 3rd tear

https://youtu.be/52L2HML5O1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have all gone back and forth, sometimes heated, sometimes subtle. I dont want to see this thread go to the TLJ thread. So whats next? Any inside information would be helpful. I want ep IX to be a good one, for both the new and old. Is there a way?

Absolutely. As with TFA and TLJ, we just have to allow them to tell the story they want to tell and not become so married to our own personal wants and desires. That’s inevitably leads to disappointment. We should critique these films based on what they are vs. what we expect them to be.

And regarding the TLJ thread, allowing that Reddit like initial spoiler conversation and all the new Reddit users who signed up for the RPF has irreparably damaged the quality of conversation on this forum, IMO.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back