Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Rey better be some weird Matrix-esque-Neo god-figure to explain away all of her bogus force powers. I was fine with all of her force powers up until the "Let me just move the side of this mountain out of the way" moment. Now, Disney Wars has some 'splainin' the do.

Rey better be some weird Matrix-esque-Neo god-figure to explain away all of her bogus force powers. I was fine with all of her force powers up until the "Let me just move the side of this mountain out of the way" moment. Now, Disney Wars has some 'splainin' the do.

Remember, its not about lifting rocks..:lol

I'm fine with Rey being nobody. I would have preferred a Skywalker connection, if not his outright daughter, but I can get with the nobody thing (if they stop the episodes after the last Skywalker has died).

That's precisely why there is such "fan dogma" about it: because JJ made a big deal about her parentage. I just wish he hadn't if the intention from the beginning was to have her be nobody.

The problem is, is that there wasn't any intention from the beginning.

I"m not say thing should or shouldn't be related - just dissecting a question :)

They psuedo addressed her power in TLJ - the light side creating a resistance to the now more powerful dark since Luke quit on life and everything else. You could continue that into it being rey fullfilling the prophecy which would pretty much suck IMO. It'd mean everything before was pointless and Anakin/Luke/Leia were essentially unimportant because the force was just going to produce it's own superstar to take down the dark.

I think JJ has a larger task with 9 than he did with 7. A sizable group is now upset and not thrilled with the direction of things and he's gotta put a big topper on a trilogy when your main focus died before you started filming and there aren't many open plot points of relevance left.

I"m not say thing should or shouldn't be related - just dissecting a question :)

They psuedo addressed her power in TLJ - the light side creating a resistance to the now more powerful dark since Luke quit on life and everything else. You could continue that into it being rey fullfilling the prophecy which would pretty much suck IMO. It'd mean everything before was pointless and Anakin/Luke/Leia were essentially unimportant because the force was just going to produce it's own superstar to take down the dark.

I think JJ has a larger task with 9 than he did with 7. A sizable group is now upset and not thrilled with the direction of things and he's gotta put a big topper on a trilogy when your main focus died before you started filming and there aren't many open plot points of relevance left.

Everyone needs to remember JJ read Rian’s script and loved it. He’s known for over 2 years how this film, TLJ, was going to play out. Based on both those facts I don’t see how he is either struggling, upset, or unprepared with the position he finds himself.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/23/jj-abrams-star-wars-episode-viii/

Last edited:
Everyone needs to remember JJ read Rian’s script and loved it. He’s known for over 2 years how this film, TLJ, was going to play out. Based on both those facts I don’t see how he is either struggling, upset, or unprepared with the position he finds himself.

Yes he knew what was going to happen in the film itself, but not how divisive it would be with the fan base. So now he has a choice to either continue alienating half the fan base (and perhaps even expanding that alienation), or make nice with the other half while also satisfying the casual fan/general movie-going audience member. Which granted is a hard thing to do - and in the end Disney might not decide it's worth the risk to the bottom line to do - but it would be a shame for them to stick a middle finger to the people who have stood by the franchise and say "sorry to see you go, but adios!"

Yes he knew what was going to happen in the film itself, but not how divisive it would be with the fan base. So now he has a choice to either continue alienating half the fan base (and perhaps even expanding that alienation), or make nice with the other half while also satisfying the casual fan/general movie-going audience member. Which granted is a hard thing to do - and in the end Disney might not decide it's worth the risk to the bottom line to do - but it would be a shame for them to stick a middle finger to the people who have stood by the franchise and say "sorry to see you go, but adios!"

No, he’s a storyteller and will continue the story he and Rian have started and bring it to the conclusion he envisions. He’s not going to cater to anyone and won’t be asked to subjugate his creative idea’s to try and placate anyone.

When he made his comments, he wasn't in charge of IX at that point.

There's a big difference between liking it and having to follow it up.

Going in to both 3 and 6, there were major things to wrap up. Going into 9, ehhh...not so much. Rey has to take down Ben (again), The resistance has to face the FO and win. Nothing there is 'i can't wait to see that'. We've actually seen 1/2 of it already, and frankly, 2/2 when you consider the blew up starkiller in 7.

There aren't any really big anticipatory moments for IX for people. Not to bring up the arugment again, but IF Rey's parentage was going to be different, that'd be something. If they actually to fight snoke, that would be something. But the big payoff moments pretty much have been done. Plus, as they've basically said, there was no plan in place (which is mindboggling) for the overall story arc. Just do WTF you want.

Luke has lit the spark for a rebellion/resistance to flourish....if it all ended with 8? What more is their that people really want to see wrapped up in 9 that would be catastrophic if never happened? I don't see much. That doesn't mean they can't come up with some good things, but I don't see any trilogy topper stuff here. Clearly, nothing was conceived ahead of time...so, seriously....what's left?

When he made his comments, he wasn't in charge of IX at that point.

There's a big difference between liking it and having to follow it up.

Going in to both 3 and 6, there were major things to wrap up. Going into 9, ehhh...not so much. Rey has to take down Ben (again), The resistance has to face the FO and win. Nothing there is 'i can't wait to see that'. We've actually seen 1/2 of it already, and frankly, 2/2 when you consider the blew up starkiller in 7.

There aren't any really big anticipatory moments for IX for people. Not to bring up the arugment again, but IF Rey's parentage was going to be different, that'd be something. If they actually to fight snoke, that would be something. But the big payoff moments pretty much have been done. Plus, as they've basically said, there was no plan in place (which is mindboggling) for the overall story arc. Just do WTF you want.

Luke has lit the spark for a rebellion/resistance to flourish....if it all ended with 8? What more is their that people really want to see wrapped up in 9 that would be catastrophic if never happened? I don't see much. That doesn't mean they can't come up with some good things, but I don't see any trilogy topper stuff here. Clearly, nothing was conceived ahead of time...so, seriously....what's left?
c

I think saying he wished he was directing it is a good indication he could see the story potential going forward.

I was bored with TLJ and many of the problems in that movie, besides pacing and oddball side quest being pointless, were created by TFA and it's return to status quo stupidity instead of going forward from RotJ and show new things. The rehash done in TFA seriously obstructed the overall trilogy and TLJ suffered because of it. However... the story of TLJ was boring to me. It was a slow crawl - not the faster more intense way at least the OT was done. We are back to PT slow crawl progression. At least that was something that TFA got right.

I don't mind Rey's parents being nobodies. It was the handling of that "reveal" that was poorly done.

What I hate about the side quest mission was the idiotic remark made by Rose when they set the animals free - as if them freeing them and trashing the place would change anything for the better. Those animals they freed will be captured and back to being mistreated when Rose and Finn leave, and all the slaves will be treated the same if not worse afterwards. They did not accomplish anything at all. Felt as stupid as activists releasing animals from fur farms into the wild not realizing that the animals would DIE in the wild, and kill other animals not just for food, but for sport, because they don't know how to live in the wild and those activists don't know or want to know because they leave and don't deal with the consequences. And they didn't even get the right code breaker and then they are surprised when he sells them out... how stupid can you get?

For epIX. There's basically nothing to do. The story was wrapped up in 8. There's nothing to look forward to. And JJ being back is not good news. Kylo is no threat to Rey... she's already beaten him before... the only thing new they can do is have Rey go dark... and that would be boring. My thought right after having watched TLJ was a bored meh and I'm not interested in seeing the next one.

c

I think saying he wished he was directing it is a good indication he could see the story potential going forward.

Or, he wished he was directing it so he could change a few things to his liking. Kind of a 'great story, but i'd do this...'...

Either of our answers are equally probable and we have no clue what was in his head, nothing is ever pure black and white, so it's probably a bit of both.

i havent been in this thread much, and i dont know if this was already brought up, but i was told by a friend who has twitter that johnson explained the power luke uses at the end, and its called doppelgänger

any truth behind this? anyone else hear this?

He posted this in his Twitter feed, it's from the (non-canon) book "The Jedi Path"
80a7c9e8c13b4545b55c1893445b9c38.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I don't get the significance of his tweet. I mean, I do - but he's supposedly the writer/director. He shouldn't have to finger previous work as some sort of validation. Especially non-canon material. Just have the cahones to man up and say " Look, I wanted to introduce this force power.."

We get new powers in every movie.

I didn't have a problem with the the act itself. I just didn't like how Luke was handled in general.

On a side, I need to watch Looper again maybe... I have a difficult time seeing how he could come up with Looper, and then produce something like TLJ. Maybe my memory/impression of Looper is off...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Everyone needs to remember JJ read Rian’s script and loved it. He’s known for over 2 years how this film, TLJ, was going to play out.

Very true... but I dont think he counted on the amount of backlash the film was going to generate. Unfortunately, the more I think about how the Skywalker timeline has been treated and simply tossed aside (my opinion and feeling) the TLJ is quickly becoming my least fav SW movie.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back