Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I still say they can get away with no killing her so they can do just that (use someone else in the future).

Opening scrawl....

It has been 3 years since the battle of Crait. The
New Republic has been reformed by the Resistance.
General Leia Organa has been elected Chancellor and
is in office on Corscant.

<What the FO has been doing>

Meanwhile, on <insert planet here> the Repblic fleet is
preparing to (do something)...

Begin movie. Leia is alive, just elsewhere and we focus on the new kids.

Episode IX: Let's Kill Lando and Leia.... but if they did that the internet would melt with all of the SJW's losing what little minds they have left.

The brave thing to do would be to have Rey and Kylo kill each other in like a 6 or 7 move lightsaber exchange. Then Luke shows up with the little boy from the end of TLJ. The end.

-OWK

I doubt Billy Dee will ever appear in a SW movie again. I met him at the Manchester "For the love of Sci fi" UK signing and the poor guy looked very frail. Left me feeling as sad as episode VIII

25442937_1198213536947829_1871582736863493372_n.jpg

Having seen TLJ 4 times now, I think they are trying to set up a Poe-Rey-Ben triangle. Ep VIII did two things to hint that Poe might be more than we know - when he suddenly wakes after Rey screams (from being levitated by Snoke) and when Poe introduces himself to Rey at the end - even though the were standing right next to each other at the end of TFA. Seemed odd they would do this unless they are trying to set something up for the future. Could Poe be Luke's son? He is the best starpilot in the resistance (like Luke was).

Nope. Poe is the son of Rebel A-Wing pilot Shara Bey and Rebel SpecOps commando Kes Dameron. I've been privy to a lot of the BTS thinking since TFA and a few things... Poe was originally intended to die taking out the Starkiller, but they just love Oscar too much and changed that. Finn and Rey were always intended to have more of a sibling relationship than romantic. Both have a yearning for human connection from their respective backgrounds. I'm also a little miffed by the (re)introduction in TLJ, as not only were they standing next to each other at the end of TFA, but Rey gave Poe a very distinct "well, hel-lo!" appraising look in that moment. Don't know how long passed before she left on the Falcon to go find Luke. One of my ongoing grumps about Star Wars is non-obvious time jumps (How long was the trip from Tatooine to the Death Star? How long was the Falcon limping to Bespin? How long was Luke training on Dagobah?). Snoke had commanded Hux to bring Kylo to him. They'd had time to take the Finalizer to wherever Snoke's command ship was, then, before heading to D'Qar to bombard the Resistance base. So I have a hard time thinking Rey couldn't find a few minutes to introduce herself to Poe and tell him he better be there when she got back.

I have a feeling the Visual Dictionary pointing out he wears his mother's wedding ring on a chain around his neck "waiting for someone special to give it to" is a hint of him and Rey. We'll see. He did some maturing in TLJ (however hastily it was done), but is still kinda the Captain Jack Harkness of Star Wars. Some people pair Poe and Finn in their slash-fic. I feel like it's more Poe/anyone-interested. :p His dearest loves so far seem to be flying and BB-8. I just hope that if they do go that route, he isn't "tamed" or "settles down", but instead in Rey finds a partner who can totally keep up with him. My mind jumps immediately to one of my favorite moments in Babylon 5. The season-2 episode "Gropos". One of the infantry people (Dodger) temporarily staying on the station and Security Chief Garibaldi get kinda close. At one point, friction between the ground-pounders and the station's fighter pilots boils over in a bar fight. Garibaldi and Dodger dispatch their current adversaries, bump into each other, both spin, poised to swing, look each other up and down in recognition, and push off each other back into the fray. If handled right, if neither character is diminished or relegated to a sidekick role, it could be good.

--Jonah

A large part of the problem seems to be they say, here <director>, you have episode <number>. You're beholden largely to what comes before, but you're free do seemingly absolutely anything you want and then the next guy continues from there.

That's great, and perhaps too much, freedom for the director. I'm not saying copy marvel, but marvel has a grand plan worked out and they know what each of the films has to cover and what cannot happen.

The ST doesn't seem to have that at all. I think the power structure needs to have bullet points in place to move things forward. You don't have to map things out totally, but i think you need benchmarks to hit.

unless they drag this on to twelve episodes aside from another loosely tied in trilogy, there's only one more to finish it anyhow so it doesn't matter much

I'm stoked for 9! NO idea what's coming! Couldn't say that about ROTS. This trilogy has been blown wide open.

I suspect Snoke was a fake out. Too much Wizard of Oz imagery. Since this movie riffed on some Dark Empire stuff, perhaps he's a clone? If not, I hope we get at least a few words of backstory so he feels less random.

I'd love to see a big time jump with an older, trained Rey travelling incognito, recruiting back alley ragamuffins for her academy. Kinda a Jynn on Jeddha vibe, with a touch of nun/messiah imagery.

I think novels/comics are the only place we'll get Snoke info.

Before TFA they said we were going to see the building/making of a villain. I can buy that ole Ben is lost for good - but, sorry, leader of the FO? I don't buy it. He still comes across a bit as a temperamental nut job. If I was in the FO and found out that guy was leading the show, i think i'd be look to bail at the first opportunity. You don't go from bashing your helmet to bits because you don't like what the big guy tells you to competent leader in the 18 hour span of that movie. Doesn't work that way.

The guy in charge has always been someone who's cool, cold, and calculating. Not an impulsive twit. Now...if he evolves to that by the end of 9 and then is 'the guy' for 10-12, OK, that can work. But right now, i don't see how he runs the FO now and is the main baddie in 9, who's then killed in 9 the end the trilogy like ROTJ. For his arc to make sense, you kind of have to end it like ANH - big rebel/resistance win, but the bad guys survive to fight another day.

The only other end I can see that would work in 9 would be Snoke not being dead and coming back to kick butt and take names and kill off everyone in sight, at the end rey flips ben back and together they take down snoke for more of a ROTJ ending.

All of these outlandish theories, while absurd, reflect more thoughtful consideration than ANYTHING Disney has done so far. You all need to stop and give it up. There is no plan. There is no concept. There is no depth to this. There never will be. LOTTA denial in this thread. It's over. Make peace.

I needed to put VIII away and think instead about IX . I felt there was not much on offer.
But whether it was because I didn't feel any particular need to do anything with the plot or character , I came up with at least half a dozen really strong storylines that satisfied me and also surprised me, given how TLJ ended.
Firstly, it was even easier than I had provisionally thought to solve the several really irritating issues I had with the hyper drive tracker and the hyperspace collision, so much so they became a rather strong part of the entire story structure and gave me a three differing but crackingly exciting opennings scenes. That hyperspace collision really did away with superweapons !!!!
And the loss now of all the lead OT characters actually gave me a surprisingly larger field of play and variation of plot than I actually thought possible. A couple of the storylines went in directions I wouldn't have thought of before TLJ, others linked very pleasingly to the OT, PT and current trilogy without being clumsy at all, a couple strayed dangerously out of the usual territory, but what did surprise me was how none of them seemed to be an actual disaster .
So if I can do that then at least I have some faith that JJ and company must be able to hit some of the same notes . We are, after all fans in the same universe ,so I should think it relatively easier than I believed to come up with a strong story that finishes the entire series.
So lets all have some faith. I may not have a great deal of liking for some of the things done with plot and character by the end of TLJ but the overall universe we are left with is a surprisingly healthy one, much more than I had thought after the intial impact of TLJ .

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back