Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

These are probably those same idiots that "boycotted" TFA because it had a female lead and claimed they "greatly" affected the final earnings.

These are probably those same idiots that "boycotted" TFA because it had a female lead and claimed they "greatly" affected the final earnings.

That's right I forgot about that!! And all the heat boyega got because he's black. Ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had really hoped Rian would stick around. I've really liked his movies. Brothers Bloom is one of my favorite movies out there. Maybe not the most well-received film, but I've always liked the charm and storytelling of it. It's yet to be seen what Ep8 will look like, but I feel like Rian is a more concise storyteller than JJ.

I'm not disappointed that JJ is back. I'm glad Trevorrow is out. But I feel like there might have been better alternatives out there. You need someone who is going to close up the character arcs, and wrap things up with a pretty little bow on top. I believe every film should feel like a great standalone adventure, and every trilogy should have a very defined ending. The end of the trilogy should feel like the end of the series. Even if it's not.

I'm not happy with JJ being back.

I liked tfa.
I liked Rey,and Kylo, and their troubles for the most part.
I liked Finn, Boyegas acting was prob the best in the show.
I liked Poe.
I was relieved it wasn't terrible, and that alone meant that SW had a future, so that's a massive plus.

Hated the constant practical effects talk, especially as the cgi in the show was flawless (compared to the awful Mas ruin castle set, and the trees in the forest at the end that didnt get any wider at the bottom of the trunk like a telegraph pole (that was weird after being in a real forest earlier)). (Can you do that with brackets?)

Hated the constant talk about secrecy around the plot, which was only there so no one shared how similar the essential over arcing plot points were to ep4,
and lets face it it was...

There was absolutely no suspense in regard to whether they would or wouldn't succeed in blowing up sk base....At all.
No one gives a crap about Chewie after losing Han after being by his side constantly, that's constantly remember for fifty years, but Rey? Talk about missing the point.

I really really feel with all his mystery box slight of hand that JJ is a true sophist, and I really really feel he does not, deep in his bones understand Star Wars at its core.
I am praying that he can close this, but if he does it will be the first time he ever has.
Just one mans opinion.

Btw I am a OT fan and a PT defender, and have to date, not had my childhood retro raped by anyone.

Peace :)

Last edited:
There was absolutely no suspense in regard to whether they would succeed in blowing up sk base....At all.
No one gives a crap about Chewie, after losing Han after being by his side constantly, that's constantly, remember, for fifty years, but Rey? Talk about missing the point.

I really really feel with all his mystery box slight of hand that JJ is a true sophist, and I really really feel he does not, deep in his bones understand Star Wars at its core.

Agreed. I had such high hopes for TFA going in--eager to finally see a director of my generation take a crack at making a new Star Wars movie which was *new*, but captured the wonder and magic of ANH and ESB...or at least some of that wonder and magic. Sadly, JJ gave us an offensive and cheap carbon copy of George's classic story, exposing Abrams' low SWIQ with every lazy and unoriginal turn of the film.

The film sold like hotcakes. But so does everything the Kardashians touch.

The Wook

Once again subjective opinions being presented as objective facts when the facts of TFA are:
92% critical, 89% audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes
81% positive on MetaCritic
71.4% of audience reviews on IMDB rate the film between 8-10 out of 10
$2.06B global box office.
Facts, not opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own unique facts.

My opinion will never be fact, Im totally agreed there. I'm just saying he's not the fan he makes out to be.

Two things I knew by the age of seven.
1. Where you hold a lightsaber (and where the button that made it work is on said saber).
2. Flying through space ain't like dusting crops (i.e you can't go to hyperspace from inside a ship or come out of it within the atmosphere of a planet).

JJ didn't know either at what, 47? Silly things like that take me right out of the film for a minute or two.

Don't get me wrong the relationship between Rey and Kylo works really well I think and when she freaks him out is great, and seals the deal as one of my favorite film moments.
He must know who she is, and that works for me.

This is a thread about a film thats not made or even has a script yet.
Speculation over decisions made so far and therfore opinions on those decisions, are all we can possibly fill these pages with.

I think Filoni should be involved as he is a direct link to Georges opinions in a way Kennedy is not, and while i'm at it I would have liked Gareth Edwards to get a chance at a sequel film and theres only one left. He eats, sleeps and breathes Star Wars. I bet his actual dreams are about Star wars.

also I think my spellcheck isn't working, sorry :)

Just remembered the guy who wrote BvS is co-writing, That film was a mess (in my opinion), so fingers crossed it wasnt his fault.

My opinion will never be fact, Im totally agreed there. I'm just saying he's not the fan he makes out to be.

Two things I knew by the age of seven.
1. Where you hold a lightsaber (and where the button that made it work is on said saber).
2. Flying through space ain't like dusting crops (i.e you can't go to hyperspace from inside a ship or come out of it within the atmosphere of a planet).

JJ didn't know either at what, 47? Silly things like that take me right out of the film for a minute or two.

Don't get me wrong the relationship between Rey and Kylo works really well I think and when she freaks him out is great, and seals the deal as one of my favorite film moments.
He must know who she is, and that works for me.

This is a thread about a film thats not made or even has a script yet.
Speculation over decisions made so far and therfore opinions on those decisions, are all we can possibly fill these pages with.

I think Filoni should be involved as he is a direct link to Georges opinions in a way Kennedy is not, and while i'm at it I would have liked Gareth Edwards to get a chance at a sequel film and theres only one left. He eats, sleeps and breathes Star Wars. I bet his actual dreams are about Star wars.

also I think my spellcheck isn't working, sorry :)

I could hand my Graflex ANH saber replica to dozen Star Wars fans and they would have no clue how you turn it on. People on a Replica Prop Forum will, but not "fans". Same thing with how Hyperspace works. Even the films can't be consistent. Parsecs are a measure of distance, not time. The only things that are canonical facts within the film are what we see. Its never said if you can jump into an atmosphere, we just had never seen it done. The films are the sole arbiter of what is and what isn't reality in this galaxy far, far away. So with all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, I don't think those two point disqualifies JJ as a "fan".

Still they both still bug me as they are things defined in maybe the first half hour of the very first film.
But to show what a hypocrite I can be all this talk has made me want to watch TFA, I'm watching it right now :)

Still they both still bug me as they are things defined in maybe the first half hour of the very first film.
But to show what a hypocrite I can be all this talk has made me want to watch TFA, I'm watching it right now :)

Question, how does Han's line about dusting crops preclude jumping into or out of an atmosphere? He simply implies its complicated from a navigational standpoint but that's it.

I could hand my Graflex ANH saber replica to dozen Star Wars fans and they would have no clue how you turn it on. People on a Replica Prop Forum will, but not "fans". Same thing with how Hyperspace works. Even the films can't be consistent. Parsecs are a measure of distance, not time. The only things that are canonical facts within the film are what we see. Its never said if you can jump into an atmosphere, we just had never seen it done. The films are the sole arbiter of what is and what isn't reality in this galaxy far, far away. So with all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, I don't think those two point disqualifies JJ as a "fan".

While I agree with you in principle, the hyperspacing inside the shields of Starkiller base was just bad writing. I don't want to get into a discussion of whether the science of fictional movies is realistic or not. But I will ask, if it is a thing, how come it wasn't done before? I mean the lives of countless ewoks could have been saved if the rebel fleet had just hyperjumped inside the shields of DeathStar 2. It is a BS way of circumventing a problem. There were other options. You had a First Order defector in your midst, maybe Finn could have relayed some good insider information of some clever way of deactivating the shields or something. Maybe Hux was so full of hubris that they didn't design shields for the base. Almost anything would be better than what we got. I don't understand the writing concept of, let's put in an obstacle and then bypass it in the most nonchalant was possible. Better not to have the obstacle there in the first place.

While I agree with you in principle, the hyperspacing inside the shields of Starkiller base was just bad writing. I don't want to get into a discussion of whether the science of fictional movies is realistic or not. But I will ask, if it is a thing, how come it wasn't done before? I mean the lives of countless ewoks could have been saved if the rebel fleet had just hyperjumped inside the shields of DeathStar 2. It is a BS way of circumventing a problem. There were other options. You had a First Order defector in your midst, maybe Finn could have relayed some good insider information of some clever way of deactivating the shields or something. Maybe Hux was so full of hubris that they didn't design shields for the base. Almost anything would be better than what we got. I don't understand the writing concept of, let's put in an obstacle and then bypass it in the most nonchalant was possible. Better not to have the obstacle there in the first place.

The question of why it wasn't done before is irrelevant. If the in universe physics are only what we are shown or told there's no way to answer a hypothetical, they just didn't do that in ROTJ for reasons we are not privy. Now yes, of curse its all just writing and knowing JJ and Kasdan, Kasdan especially, they just thought it was a cool moment that didn't contradict canon so they put it in. Its not lazy, it was visually exciting.

The shields of the death star 2 were what? 1/2 mile, if that, off the surface of the station? Good luck jumping into that. They showed them to us in graphic format. The shields for the moon are clearly going to be further out - i mean, Endor was a moon. DS2 a space station. Plus, once you get the qualified planet area, you've got what? 15 miles or more of atmosphere to work with as well. Planes fly up to 40k feet here. Spy planes in excess of 70k. 70k is 14 miles. Figure Han had to jump to within 25 miles of the surface to get inside the shield. The DS 1/2 mile or so. Wanna guess why they did one and not the other? If you wanna spin it into reality that is. Even in TFA people looked at him like he was an idiot for suggesting it.

I don't want to start a flame war but I wasn't a fan of the "jumping through the shield" either...

There are many things I disagree with so I make up my most positive and self explanatory theory I can..

Lightsabers can be turned on by the button, or even the clamp card, I don't see a big deal of it. Hell Luke's ESB had TWO red buttons so what's the big deal?

The shields... I kept on trying to come to a revelation...

You know like previously stated I too cringed at that and thought man.. So many lives and teddy bears could have been saved in the Death Star 2 attack.... then I thought, maybe this technology wasn't around back then? Heck we traveled 30 years since RoTJ.. we have seen a lot of improvements in the galaxy in 30 years

Holograms look like real life people, super weapons can now fire across the entire galaxy traveling at hyper space.. droids are built like balls now... blasters have cool digital firing bolt counters on them now instead of dial counters

So why can't this new shield jumping trick be new technology? If you think about it, if it was around in RoTJ time when didn't they just use it? (Granted We all know the true reason ) but maybe that's why the canon team excepted this trick? Because it wasn't known to be possible 30 years ago

Heck, anyone with a tweeter account? Can someone ask Pablo Hidalgo that exact question "was the shield jumping technology used on starkiller base around during the time of the attack on the Death Star 2?"

Pablo is known for answering questions, I don't have a tweeter, nor do I have the passion to join any type of social media. But if anyone does, I have Not seen this question answered and he would be the guy to tell us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rest of the movie had been smarter, the shield thing would've bothered me more than it did. But, by then it was obvious what kind of writing this was, and I kind of expected a dumb device like that.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back