Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

IMG_4053.JPG

You couldn't be more right Dan: plot matters a lot! I'm hopeful that J.J. will have the intelligence of making it less like a video game feel and more about the mystery surrounding Rey and her relationship with Luke.

I also think he will be unecumbered by the desire and instinct, which I think was the right choice, to touch upon a lot of OT elements to create a sense of familiarity with TFA. He has an opportunity to really do something unique and I think that was part of the attraction he may have felt to accept this job. And he can FINALLY actually show how someone gets off an island.

Something tells me things wont wrap up with Episode 9 much more than they did with ROTJ. Open ends leave another trilogy, or hasnt anyone comprehended that yet?

While I don't outright cry havoc, I too, am a little concerned about JJ. I generally liked TFA, in the sense that it scratched my SW itch. But I do see its flaws, like most people here. In hindsight, it is apparent that during the filming of TFA there was no clear outline as to how the trilogy should develop over the course of the 3 movies. JJ introduced all these new characters, and while they're all interesting in their own right, their ultimate fate or destiny was not yet decided beyond TFA. The famous mystery box(es) we all know.

Now, what I do hope is that RJ's TLJ has enough substance and plot so that JJ simply cannot wing it. TLJ needs to deliver enough "meat" so that JJ is simply too busy dealing with the resolution of those plotlines that he cannot afford the luxury of meandering off into mystery-land. JJ is a gifted film-maker, so much is clear, so ultimately, the choice is probably not as bad as some people fear it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Something tells me things wont wrap up with Episode 9 much more than they did with ROTJ. Open ends leave another trilogy, or hasnt anyone comprehended that yet?

For sure, open for the new characters to have continuing adventures and some closure for our legacy characters.

I just finished a rewatch of Babylon 5 with my wife, who'd never seen it. Holy freakin' crap that show is well structured plot-wise. It's meticulously crafted. Moreover, because the plot itself is well planned and executed, the characters all have space to develop within it. You watch characters genuinely change over the course of the show. And they do it organically. It never feels forced. Granted, they had 5 seasons to do all of that, but to me, this proves that the attitude that many writers seem to have where they disdain plot is utter nonsense. Like, "Ugh, plot. So gauche. I write characters and let them drive the plot." Yeah, well, that's probably why your story is crap, had a terrible ending, and now everyone will spend years discussing how it sucked/didn't suck on the internet instead of just saying "Yeah. Wow, what a great story."

Plot matters. Also, plot matters. So, JJ needs to be really freakin' careful and make certain that the plot resolves in a satisfying manner that is internally consistent with the established rules of the universe.

Totally! I've just started re-watching B5. Even in the filler episodes, plot points are being seeded. It quickly becomes compelling and satisfyingly answers the questions it asks. Underrated!
Sorry. Now back on topic.

The gang arrives in Hodor, stumbles into a tribe of half cat/half Pikachu-like (to appeal to icanhazcheeseburgers and Pokemon fans) cuddly creatures.
That could be a description of a Porg from episode 8 . Action figures and plushies are in stores already.

... unless they decide to make it another species in Episode IX, half/double their height and shift the letters of their name around. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think he will be unecumbered by the desire and instinct, which I think was the right choice, to touch upon a lot of OT elements to create a sense of familiarity with TFA. He has an opportunity to really do something unique and I think that was part of the attraction he may have felt to accept this job. And he can FINALLY actually show how someone gets off an island.

I sincerely hope you're right about that. More importantly, I appreciate a good and well deserved LOST smackdown when I see it.

Money earned doesn't mean quality. How many movies can we shake a stick at to prove that point? But, as long as audiences are brain dead enough to support it, we'll keep getting Fast n Furious movies and Taylor Swift albums.
I guess I should have post that in the sarcasm font.

Some of my favorite films didn't make much at the box office. Some pretty much bombed.

Damen Lindelof is the real problem with LOST. J.J. Abrams is a capable film maker but hopefully they tie things together to keep the new trilogy a complete story. While I don't want them to wing it we have to remember the original trilogy wasn't mapped out the way most people think it was. It was written as a rough outline by Lucas but not as completed drafts before hand, no matter what George claims.

If they do decide to make a fourth trilogy they still should wrap up this story line of the sequel trilogy or it will feel too dragged out. Then the next trilogy could be with a new set of characters.

I hope the Last Jedi expands the story and that Ep. 9 ties it all together in a meaningful way for the characters.

Ideally the movie has a theme and then the characters and plot are created as a means to convey that theme. They are intricately intertwined and all are necessary for a successful story. So it's foolish to dismiss plot as being less important than characters. Theme, characters, and plot should all play equal parts.

Damen Lindelof is the real problem with LOST. J.J. Abrams is a capable film maker but hopefully they tie things together to keep the new trilogy a complete story. While I don't want them to wing it we have to remember the original trilogy wasn't mapped out the way most people think it was. It was written as a rough outline by Lucas but not as completed drafts before hand, no matter what George claims.

If they do decide to make a fourth trilogy they still should wrap up this story line of the sequel trilogy or it will feel too dragged out. Then the next trilogy could be with a new set of characters.

I hope the Last Jedi expands the story and that Ep. 9 ties it all together in a meaningful way for the characters.

Ideally the movie has a theme and then the characters and plot are created as a means to convey that theme. They are intricately intertwined and all are necessary for a successful story. So it's foolish to dismiss plot as being less important than characters. Theme, characters, and plot should all play equal parts.

Exactly!!!!

Lindeloff is most definitely the more guilty party when it comes to not answering questions, but Abrams has the penchant for handing his lead characters everything they want and desire but haven't really earned.But he'll make a good SW movie... I'm more curious about the script at this point.

Let them do their petition - it doesn't hurt anyone and it's really no worse than the fanboy bickering we see here all the time. At least they're not making up silly rankings to try and justify their fandom or to make themselves look better.

I have feeling that these people know it won't make a bit of difference - but, they feel a need to voice their opinions. Sure, it's futile - and sure, it's just a movie... and we all know what Shatner said.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back