Making a Star Trek Alpha Hero Communicator

Thank you all for your very kind words of encouragement! It was a very satisfying build, it has been in my hand all day LOL!

Steve P

Thank you all for your very kind words of encouragement! It was a very satisfying build, it has been in my hand all day LOL!

Steve P

It's fun keeping a comm around. When I'm working, I even have my comm nearby and I pick it up all the time haha! Helps me think maybe.

I'm still kind of in shock. You just started this thread like a week ago, and you have a scratch built hero comm that doesn't look like some cobbled paper mache hack job...probably would have taken you longer to do a paper mache hack job.
It's actually a ringer for the real deal. Amazing. Mark English would be pissed.

I'm still kind of in shock. You just started this thread like a week ago, and you have a scratch built hero comm that doesn't look like some cobbled paper mache hack job...probably would have taken you longer to do a paper mache hack job.
It's actually a ringer for the real deal. Amazing. Mark English would be pissed.

its 53 years of pent up Star Trek Prop fury! LOL!! All kidding aside, it's a labor of love, I just wanted it get it right. The stop watch design that Wah did is just genius. It left a generation captivated. I showed it off at work today, people were taking pictures and texting others.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, that is absolutely beautiful. And you did a really great job sharpening and restoring that buck. Beautiful work as always.

Steve (JM)

Hi Steve

I am currently waiting for some more Kydex to be shipped to make a few more of these shells. Thinking about making a few smoothy's as well.

Steve P

Last edited:
Best comm I've ever seen. /not an expert

Out of curiosity (& sorry if it's been covered & I missed it), what does the watch mechanism do, & if it's a visual effect, any chances you could post a vid of it working?

The pulls for those shells are really nice. Did you build your own vac table?

Yes, I built it last summer. I use a vacuum pump and tank, not a vacuum cleaner like most, it's the only way to get nice tight pulls. Jfb64 was
great help and my vacuum forming mentor!!

early construction photo.

Hand made, formed aluminum vacuum tables.

And finished

Last edited:
It was my great honour to see this communicator in person today, as well as the hand phaser. Just awesome work, meticulously crafted. Thanks, Steve!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back