BvS:DOJ Robin

ArmandDavid

Robin isn't confirmed to be in any of the DC Cinematic Universe yet, but I decided to do a concept of the 3rd Robin (Tim Drake) if he were to be in the movie.
costume-designs-for-the-first-three-new-52-robins-1.png
Loosely based off of the short lived New 52 Tim Drake Robin costume

I'd guess that the Robin suit is not much different from the Batfleck Batsuit
bpCTMuE.jpg
High saturation to show details

--MAIN BODY SUIT--
For the main suit I will be using some knit ribbed fabric
Large_0388127.jpgLarge_0400065.jpg
1.5 m of red fabric ($25.00 per m) and 2 m of black ($14.00 per m @ 50% off)

--GAUNTLETS. BOOTS. MASK?--
The gauntlets seem simple enough to make out of foam. If anybody has a foam pep file I could loosely base it off of, it'd be greatly appreciated. It will be finished off with plasti-dip to get the same matte black exture on the Batfleck suit.

The boots will be loosely based off of the design of the gauntlets (sleek, simplistic, etc.) and will be made the same way with the addition of old shoe soles.

The mask will be made from craft foam molded to my face rather than out of liquid latex. I want the domino mask to look like they have been made from the same material as Batflecks cowl

--CAPE--
Nothing special, I chose a cheap black fabric and will be sewing bias tape all around to give it the same look as the New 52 cape.

I will be wearing this to this years Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo and have almost 1 month to complete it. Wish me luck.

I don't have any tips for you, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoy this idea and think you're headed in a great direction :thumbsup

Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition. The belt looks similar to the Robin belt I built for my daughter's costume.

I don't have any tips for you, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoy this idea and think you're headed in a great direction
I love your idea! Sounds like you're off to a great start so far. Keep us updated on your project
Thanks for the support. I'll start pattern drafting tomorrow. It will get unnecessarily pic-heavy :)

Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition. The belt looks similar to the Robin belt I built for my daughter's costume.
Thanks for the support. Would you happen to have any pictures? I think I will do something more like the one shown in the Batfleck picture but in yellow rather than grey.

I think that the rumor is that Carrie Kelly is going to be Robin in Dawn of Justice and that Jena Malone has been cast as her.
View attachment 447124
Off-topic but, though I will still be just as excited if it were true, I don't think it will be. For an expanded universe, I don't think they'll go with someone with so little backstory and will opt for someone more well-known to the public and easier to write for a multi-movie deal, whether being Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, maybe even Jason (other rumours presume him dead). My theory is that Jenna Malone is being cast as any other red head (crossing my fingers for Barbara Gordon done right). Not so far fetched as the DC universe has regularity of red heads, just look at Dick Graysons bodycount ;)

Sorry about the potato-quality pictures

I tried to get a good picture of the ribbed fabric, but obviously failed.
IMG_0368.JPG

A friend of mine who has more experience with cosplay (Lost Fate Cosplay on FB - @lostfate_cosplay on IG) let me borrow her heat gun. I sort of burnt a hole into my carpet using it, but I already like it a lot better than a stove top. I'm using leftover foam from an abandoned project.
IMG_0366.JPGIMG_0371.JPG

I zoomed in on the BvS costume and looked at the detailing, then I eyeballed a pattern that fits my forearm.
IMG_0379.JPGIMG_0374.JPGIMG_0373.JPG

After I traced it onto the foam and hoped to god that it fit (it didn't) and made the alterations that I needed to.
IMG_0376.JPG

I fitted it all together and it fits perfectly
.IMG_0377.JPGIMG_0378.JPG

One final note, I made the fins/blades/batwings/edge-of-a-cliff-hold-onto-ers from one long piece and cut the pieces and spaces in between as evenly as I could. I kept the spaces in between to the side to know exactly how much space I need to keep the jib-jabs apart when attaching them onto the gauntlets itself.
IMG_0375.JPG

Tomorrow I will start a pattern for the suit itself during cosplay class.

Last edited by a moderator:
WARNING: BORING UPDATE
I started making the pattern for the suit and tried to stick as close as I could to the source material in regards to the segmented seams.

IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG

I only did half of the body because it will end up being equal on both sides.

I have finished the pattern for the main torso pieces and have only the sleeve left to draft. I will make the leggings off of a pre-bought pattern.
IMG_0383.JPG

On Monday, I will finish the sleeve and have the main suit ready. I will try to get as much as I can done over this weekend regarding the gauntlets, boots and other odds and ends.

After 5 days of not posting I'm back with updates :)

--MAIN BODYSUIT--
I finally got started on the suit itself. I was going to do a test fit with another knit, but really, who has time for that?
I took the pieces I cut and placed them along the grain in the way that the grain angled on the suit itself. Side note; I cut off all of the seam allowance I added to get a more form-fit suit. Let's just hope I can still breathe while I wear it.
MxhCdB5l.jpg
IMG_0385.JPG

I chalked it all out so it will be easier to cut without anything getting in the way. This also keeps the pattern in tact, just in case I want to make another.
IMG_0386.JPG

I have all of the pieces cut out and will be sewing it together next period. (currently not listening to my history teacher in second period lol)
IMG_0387.JPG

I will be updating again by the end of the day with a fit test.

Last edited:
--GAUNTLETS--
Got the right arm mostly finished, little details and seam not included. Fits perfectly
IMG_0391.JPGIMG_0392.JPGIMG_0393.JPGIMG_0394.JPG

Currently connected with scotch tape, I'm going to connect the seam by sewing a tight knit so the gauntlet form fits to my arm without either moving around or constricting my arm.
IMG_0395.JPGIMG_0396.JPG

Also got the plasti-dip, but all they had left was the camo, and I guess it fits.
IMG_0399.JPG

Sorry for the lack of updates recently for whoever is actually watching this thread, but I have mostly finished the top. I spent all that time not posting because it didn't fit right and I spent the past few day tailoring it to the point where it fit me perfectly.

IMG_0419.JPG
Here it is inside out (pre-surging) to show all the seam work

Right side out (pre top-stitching) it fits perfect, but I need to bring my chest game up before I wear it to a con.
IMG_0420.JPGIMG_0421.JPG

Today I will be surging, top-stitching and finishing the seams and starting the tights.

I think that the rumor is that Carrie Kelly is going to be Robin in Dawn of Justice and that Jena Malone has been cast as her.
View attachment 447124

Batman v Superman is basically a modernized, modified version of The Dark Knight Returns Part 3. I would be shocked if Carrie Kelly was not Robin.

I do like what OP is doing though and I'm eager to see the results.

I really love this concept! I've been contemplating maybe doing a Nightwing in this style.
Thanks! Nightwing would be awesome and should definitely be done.

This is awesome. Subscribed.
Thanks for the support. :)

Batman v Superman is basically a modernized, modified version of The Dark Knight Returns Part 3. I would be shocked if Carrie Kelly was not Robin.

Agree to disagree, but I'm ok with whatever the DC/WB team has in mind.

This is an awesome thread! I can't wait to see more.
Thanks for the support, will be posting more throughout the week :)

Totally agree with you there. I love the idea of an original build take from this universe.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back