Han Solo Holster Rig Comparison

RJMonette88

Hello Han fans!
I'm about to get an ESB holster rig and I'm doing some research on which would be the best option/most accurate.
So far I've found offerings from the following:

1) Anovos - http://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-han-solo-hoster-rig-set
2) Todd's Costumes - http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/han-solo-costume/han-solo-holster-rig/
3) MP Filmcraft - http://www.mpfilmcraft.com/mpfilmcraft/Han.html

As of right now I'm leaning towards Todd's because of the price point, however Anovos includes the greebles, which is a plus.

In your opinions, which do you think is the best/most accurate?

The other thing nice about Anovos' version is that it can be configured to A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi rigs. I have one on order but since they have not been released yet and the only thing seen is a prototype, I cannot speak of quality or accuracy.

Never seen the MP version. I have their jedi pouches and Luke The Empire Strikes Back rig and they are quality items. I have no idea if you can swap the buckles to make other configurations (assuming you could get an extra large buckle for the Return of the Jedi version).

I had Todd's version for a time. Great price very well done. Unfortunately his smallest size is still slightly too big for me. I really wish his buckles were made differently. The width of the belt is smaller than the openings on the buckle so he trimmed the ends. That means that the snaps on the back are not functional for sizing. So if you are Han costumer that also like to sport the Hoth parka, you are out of luck. Also, the openings on the buckles are very narrow. So the snaps were applied after the belt was inserted. This means that you cannot swap out buckles should you want to convert it to another version.

I know you are only asking about the The Empire Strikes Back version, but being able to convert to other versions is important to me because I have many different Han blasters and it is nice to know that I can accurately display the rig with any blaster I want.

If price is an issue, I would also suggest you look at the cost for the greebles and droid caller as well since it will increase the costs (except for the Anovos version).

Last edited:
I think I'm leaning towards Anovos. The point that I can swap buckles is pretty great along with the greebles and droid caller. I'm curious though, it appears as if Anovos is a lighter tan than the other two mentioned. I'd be curious once they're released to see a side-by-side color comparison.

I'm split on this too. I'm not even sure if MP is still working these days. But I am split on Anovos/Todds. If you are sure what version you want, I'd say todds because it comes out to be like 2/3 the price when factoring in shipping and greeblies.

But, to me, if you are looking to do multiple versions of Han, Anovos seems to make more sense to me because you get the pieces to swap out and it is more adjustable as Mara pointed out. If you were to do todds, or even build your own, you'd have to either buy multiple rigs or build extra pieces to swap out. Plus, you have to figure in the cost of the greeblies. So just by the numbers, Anovos seems to make more sense.

The benefit to making one would be that if you want ANH, you could make the pockets more accurate and you could size it just right. But the price of materials and tools (if you don't have them) will be just as much as the Anovos offering.

Unfortunately, I have not seen either in person nor any reviews of either other than a few comments here and there.

Best of luck!

MP is still making them, I emailed him a few days ago and let him know I was interested. I'm probably going with his because of the custom sizing options.

BTW... I will also be getting the Anovos ESB Han Solo Bespin ensemble; I'll post a review once it arrives :p

I purchased an MP a few years ago. It's a fairly high quality item, but be very, very sure of your sizing. It can be tricky because the belt is supposed to hang low on your waist. When I was ordering mine, I felt he could have been more helpful in getting good measurements. When I finally got the belt, the thigh strap was too low and not tight enough and with a pistol in the holster, the belt would become impossible to wear after a few minutes When I contacted him about what to do, he sent a very short reply, suggesting I take it to a leather shop and have it fixed.

I purchased an MP a few years ago. It's a fairly high quality item, but be very, very sure of your sizing. It can be tricky because the belt is supposed to hang low on your waist. When I was ordering mine, I felt he could have been more helpful in getting good measurements. When I finally got the belt, the thigh strap was too low and not tight enough and with a pistol in the holster, the belt would become impossible to wear after a few minutes When I contacted him about what to do, he sent a very short reply, suggesting I take it to a leather shop and have it fixed.

Spankuh,

Do you have any recommendations for measuring? I've been concerned about this myself and have been wondering how I should go about making sure that the thing sits appropriately with a Denix holstered - I'm pretty skinny so I want to make sure that it looks good but ultimately the biggest concern I have is the weight of a metal prop pulling the belt down... thoughts?

Yeah, that's exactly it - the weight of the gun will pull the belt down. My belt was too big in the waist and the thigh strap was too low. I would ask around here as to the best way to measure yourself.

Just an FYI. I just finished my second belt. These are tough to size. Obviously the ones made for the film were custom fit.
They are not that hard to make. I bought $50 in belly leather and had way too much. Mine isn't quite screen accurate because I wanted my own personal greeblies including the mag for my airsoft mauser.
It doesn't take that long to make one. The issue is that things need to soak, dry, glue...
If your goal is "most accurate", then spend the money. It is a fun project though. This was a few days of effort.

han belt.jpg

Just an FYI. I just finished my second belt. These are tough to size. Obviously the ones made for the film were custom fit.
They are not that hard to make. I bought $50 in belly leather and had way too much. Mine isn't quite screen accurate because I wanted my own personal greeblies including the mag for my airsoft mauser.
It doesn't take that long to make one. The issue is that things need to soak, dry, glue...
If your goal is "most accurate", then spend the money. It is a fun project though. This was a few days of effort.

View attachment 467972

What metal did you use for the buckles? And what did you use to cut them? Is the sewing difficult to do?

I'm scared. :(

What metal did you use for the buckles? And what did you use to cut them? Is the sewing difficult to do?

Sewing - easy. You punch holes and push string through them. A little glue on the end of the string to harden it like a needle.
Hardware store sheet metal cut with snips, dremmel... The front buckle is two layers because i used rivets.

So if you are Han costumer that also like to sport the Hoth parka, you are out of luck.

Why is that? Ive measured around a coat and over my belt as they suggested so that it will fit over my parka. I guess if you are ordering one for your ESB costume and NOT the hoth version then it would be the wrong size... im aiming for Hoth..

I've been carefully comparing Todds/Anovos and I believe Todd's just wins it due to cost!

Anovos not only have it priced at $500 - but they also add $120 shipping! Its so expensive...

Todds is less than half including shipping. What really gets me is that they use the same courier yet Todd's is $40 shipping...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back