3d printed Iron Man MK 1.5/ Flight Test 2.0/Mech Test build *first boot done*

Re: Iron Man MK 1.5/ Flight Test 2.0/Mech Test 2 week speed build, 3D Printed

@Bogleo - I traded a guy on craigslist for my printer, I traded him straight across for a desktop computer. I've upgraded the hotend to an e3d (best decision anyone can make), upgraded the z stage to lm8uu bearings, upgraded the z couplers, switched to an aluminum bed, changed the filament fan for a centrifugal fan, upgraded the stepper motors to .9 degree motors, upgraded the electronics to ramps 1.4, and upgraded the stepper drivers to DRV9225 drivers with 1/32 microstepping.

Got the printer running again with a temporary thermistor setup! Printing the shin now, should be done in the morning!

Ugggh! All that reminds me of how much work I should be putting into mine. You're always making fun of my z wobble! :lol

After all, that's what bondo is for.

GhostMinion -

Yeah, well....scratch that, printer oozed from the hotend, because the nozzle wasn't tight enough. Tightened the nozzle, and my thermistor went crack......So i'm waiting on a screw in, stud type thermistor from eBay right now, HOPEFULLY, will be here tomorrow...I'm going crazy in between paint and bondo drying on ant-man!

What upgrades would you want to do to your printers? I've heard aluminum z arms, and a glass build plate for the rep 2 may be good, and maybe a heated bed too? I think the taz supports automated bed leveling (not that it would need it haha), and the m2 seems pretty darn well near perfect already!

Last edited by a moderator:

@GhostMinion -

Yeah, well....scratch that, printer oozed from the hotend, because the nozzle wasn't tight enough. Tightened the nozzle, and my thermistor went crack......So i'm waiting on a screw in, stud type thermistor from eBay right now, HOPEFULLY, will be here tomorrow...I'm going crazy in between paint and bondo drying on ant-man!

What upgrades would you want to do to your printers? I've heard aluminum z arms, and a glass build plate for the rep 2 may be good, and maybe a heated bed too? I think the taz supports automated bed leveling (not that it would need it haha), and the m2 seems pretty darn well near perfect already!

Yeah, all of the above for the Rep 2. I'd say the heated bed isn't critical, but is something to be desired. But yeah, that gantry is very wobbly, so stiffening it up would be a plus. I do actually have a glass bed for it, though.

The Lulzbot need to be stiffened as well. Funny thing is that while I've modded the hell out of it for best PLA printing, I never installed any of the stiffer parts I printed. I need to get on that.

The M2, well I sure hope so. That's what all the reviews say at least. It is supposed to be very rigid, and they say this is where the super sharp resolution becomes possible. I guess we'll see, it should arrive on Monday.

Really, what it amounts to with my Taz is it's like having a really nice Camero. It's awesome, and really nice...........but it could be so much more if you put the time into it.

switched to an aluminum bed

Switched from what? A glass bed? I'm putting together the last parts for my printer, I've considered doing a aluminum bed but another person in my hackerspace bought one for a printer he is making, and the aluminum plate is far from machined level. I've not heard any first hand experiences with an aluminum bed, how do you like it? Do you print on kapton or just straight on the aluminum?

Aluminum with kapton is good, but there's a chance the aluminum isn't perfectly level. Glass is better

Yeah, that's what I have heard 9 times out of 10 of the time as well. The 2 printers we have both have a glass bed and I was planning on going that route for mine. I'm curious what experience with an aluminum bed is, or where you can get one as machined level as borosilicate.

@msleeper - I print straight on the aluminum sprayed with hairspray on pla. Kevin is right though, there is a chance you get an in level surface with aluminum. I was lucky to get a super flat piece. I ordered it off of eBay for about $10. A piece of 8x8 borosilicate glass will run about $30, or you can get cheap window glass cut to shape from the hardware store for much less. I used glass that wasn't very flat, and it chipped when I would pull abs prints off, so I switched to aluminum and have been very happy with it! Another upside to aluminum is that you can use a fostek inductive sensor for automated bed leveling.

Does your printer have a moving table? If so, you may be better off with glass, as it is lighter and easier to move around.

I have to get a piece of borosilicate custom cut. I wouldn't trust regular glass. We used a mirror on one of the printers at the hackerspace and it cracked from the heat eventually. And yeah my Y axis moves. I am building a big Mendel Max 2.

I have to get a piece of borosilicate custom cut. I wouldn't trust regular glass. We used a mirror on one of the printers at the hackerspace and it cracked from the heat eventually. And yeah my Y axis moves. I am building a big Mendel Max 2.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track. I'd go borosilicate. Never printed on aluminum, though. But the glass beds for both of mine are as level as they come.

Got the shin printed up finally! Not gonna be ready by saturday unfortunately.....

IMG_5738.JPG

Got most of the calf printed. Didn't have a big enough spool to do it all in one go. Although, it would have been able to fit on my print bed in it's entirety, if I had a large enough spool.

Should finish printing the calf soon, then all I have left to print on one boot are the ball joints! When I start printing the right boot, I will finish the gauntlet models, and while those are printing, will do the arc harness.

Thanks for keeping up guys!

IMG_5758.JPG

Welllll......

As you're probably aware by now, I didn't make it in time with this project hahahaha.

However, I got some time to work on it tonight, and have been messing around with the telescopic cylinders that tie everything together, and I've got them working pretty darn well!

The cylinders are 3d printed in 3 pieces, 2 eye holes, and one cylinder. Then the cylinder is tapered off with a soldering iron to 1.71 mm, then I use pliers to smush down one piece of filament on the end, then I push the filament piece into the cylinder, then use a soldering iron to attach the eyes to each end, then I solder the little "nubs" on the boot into a dome shape after pushing on the cylinders. If it sounds like a lot of work, that's because it is! But, as you can see in this picture, the effect is really killer !

IMG_5930.JPG

There is still some tweaking to be done for range of motion and durability's sake, but it's coming along, albeit slowly!

Here's a pic of the thing all attached and STANDING ON IT'S OWN WEIGHT!!!! WOO!

IMG_5931.JPG

God only knows when I'll actually be done with this thing. The plan is to start the arms after I've finished the boots. So ya know....

Keep it real!

More progress.

Got a fairly nice metal finish on this, and got the telescoping cylinders worked out. Added a bunch of gack, still more to add though, printing a bunch of different pieces now.

IMG_6047.JPGIMG_6046.JPGIMG_6045.JPGIMG_6042.JPGIMG_6034.JPG

Holy S! That's AWESOME!!!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

pretty slick, keep up the great work!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back